Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Always found it strange that he got a reaction like that at the time. I put it mostly down to how they built his return i.e. stuff like that desire video.

It was 100% the Desire video. If they’d have given Mordecai a Desire video, he’d be in the HOF now. The fans had gone flat on face Triple H within a few months after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Trips return at MSG. You don't get pops like that for a return in this day and age.
    JR's Call
    "THIS IS AS LOUD AS ANY SUSTAINED ROAR THAT I HAVE HEARD IN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!"

It's interesting to note that after Triple H's return, HHH, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin were all babyfaces on the same roster. Not sure if people find it significant but that would have been the only time they were all the same alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Riddle101 wrote: »

Trips return at MSG. You don't get pops like that for a return in this day and age.
    JR's Call
    "THIS IS AS LOUD AS ANY SUSTAINED ROAR THAT I HAVE HEARD IN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!"

It's interesting to note that after Triple H's return, HHH, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin were all babyfaces on the same roster. Not sure if people find it significant but that would have been the only time they were all the same alignment.

I never even thought of that before. Was also the cooling down period between the Attitude Era and the Ruthless Aggression era! I've recently been watching the Raws and Smackdowns from 2002, really awkward time for the company, nothing creatively ever feels quite stable.

SmackDown in mid/late 2002 is one of my favourite periods of wrestling ever! The SmackDown six, the rise of Lesnar, Taker as American Bad Ass, Cena and Orton finding their feet. I also find it fascinating with how much of a trainwreck Raw was (this was the start of Triple H 'holding people down', necrophilia, HLA etc). It's such an interesting time, if not necessarily for the right reasons all the time.

I'm watching back old Raws going back 20 years, so 1998 currently, but 2002 is something I look forward to if I'm still doing it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

leggo wrote: »
    SmackDown in mid/late 2002 is one of my favourite periods of wrestling ever! The SmackDown six, the rise of Lesnar, Taker as American Bad Ass, Cena and Orton finding their feet. I also find it fascinating with how much of a trainwreck Raw was (this was the start of Triple H 'holding people down', necrophilia, HLA etc). It's such an interesting time, if not necessarily for the right reasons all the time.

I'm watching back old Raws going back 20 years, so 1998 currently, but 2002 is something I look forward to if I'm still doing it then.

Yeah I'm hoping it gets better cos I remember thinking at the time it was way better than it is currently. I haven't quite reached Smackdown Six yet, im at Backlash at the moment, so right after the draft, with both shows trying to find their feet and random teams put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yeah I'm hoping it gets better cos I remember thinking at the time it was way better than it is currently. I haven't quite reached Smackdown Six yet, im at Backlash at the moment, so right after the draft, with both shows trying to find their feet and random teams put together.

Ah Reverend Devon & Faarooq as a tag team cause they're black & Rene Dupree with Kenzo Suzuki cause they're foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rollins' superplex/falcon arrow combo annoys me.

He does it too often, it's a big match/PPV move. Pull it out of the bag then.

Also, it looks like it should be a finisher. It's two huge impact moves one after another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

leggo wrote: »

I see the term 'Smackdown Six' and I think back to Adam Blampied coming off as a total mark saying it to Rey Mysterio and Rey not having a clue what he's on about, cringe (at 5:58).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Always found it strange that he got a reaction like that at the time. I put it mostly down to how they built his return i.e. stuff like that desire video.

He left as the most hated heel in the company in May the previous year and came back to that pop. It was incredible.

I remember speaking to a friend over in the states on MSN who was describing it to me live and I was getting goosebumps just reading his messages. I was probably the worlds biggest HHH mark on the planet at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think back to Adam Blampied coming off as a total mark saying it to Rey Mysterio and Rey not having a clue what he's on about, cringe

Rey was also disappointed that Mexico didn't qualify for the Euros back in 2012. If you want cringe, go to 1:00 in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

2001 post mania Austin is glorious stuff. I love his paranoid character where he is losing his grip on reality and is constantly repeating that his name is stone cold Steve Austin. I've just watched the raw where triple H does his quad(which is the reason I was looking at his return videos at the weekend) and fair ****ing play to him for even trying to continue the match. You can say a lot about triple H but his toughness isn't an area where you can say anything about him.

2001 post mania Austin is glorious stuff. I love his paranoid character where he is losing his grip on reality and is constantly repeating that his name is stone cold Steve Austin. I've just watched the raw where triple H does his quad(which is the reason I was looking at his return videos at the weekend) and fair ****ing play to him for even trying to continue the match. You can say a lot about triple H but his toughness isn't an area where you can say anything about him.

Benoit and Jericho were great then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I loved heel austin know it wasnt everyone cup of tea but god it was so great

sky88 wrote: »
    I loved heel austin know it wasnt everyone cup of tea but god it was so great

I loved his stuff but one thing that's not aged well with me(and it's maybe because I've changed as a wrestling fan since 2001) is the dragging the belt around and throwing all over the place. That bugs me in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

From what I've seen of him in NXT I'm a big fan of Kyle O'Reilly, his in-ring work and mannerisms are great, you'd rarely hear him being talked up though for whatever reason, maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I loved his stuff but one thing that's not aged well with me(and it's maybe because I've changed as a wrestling fan since 2001) is the dragging the belt around and throwing all over the place. That bugs me in hindsight.

Its a bit weird but kinda suots austin even though i didnt like it myself

NDWC wrote: »
    From what I've seen of him in NXT I'm a big fan of Kyle O'Reilly, his in-ring work and mannerisms are great, you'd rarely hear him being talked up though for whatever reason, maybe it's just me.

He is great for the reasons you say, but also his charisma is very introverted, so I think the reason you don’t hear him being talked up more is because he’s kind of at his ceiling currently I think. And that ceiling is an awesome place to be: one of the cult favourite things on possibly the hottest brand in wrestling today. He’s doing well and could repeat the same trick on the main roster, but this is as well as I think he will do without a Daniel Bryan-like leap in charisma and I think we’re all okay with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm really surprised the WWE don't bring D'lo Brown back even if it's just for the odd one night nostalgia pop.

Apart from the Droz incident, which came down to being an unfortunate accident a much as anything, D'lo had been a solid hand in the ring and a fine representative of wrestling. If you watch shoot interviews of his, he comes across as well-spoken and thoughtful.

Asia an aside, I looked a his Wikipedia page to see what he was up to now, and somebody has put down that he's an avid fan of Shamrock Rovers. Not a cited factoid, obviously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone else dislike all the terms given to wrestlers? Especially the women like Goddess, Queen, Empress.
    Paige was still being referred to as the anti diva last night considering that title is redundant now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Anyone else dislike all the terms given to wrestlers? Especially the women like Goddess, Queen, Empress.
    Paige was still being referred to as the anti diva last night considering that title is redundant now
    Yup.

The Big Dawg
    The Artist
    The Architect
    The Lunatic Fringe

Did it all start with The Phenom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I liked Queen vs Empress. Was a cool tagline for their match.

The rest are shíte. Lunatic Fringe being the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

J. Marston wrote: »
    Lunatic Fringe being the worst.

I always took that as a rib on his receding hairline.

Its painful, especially when you know the commentators are being fed it and told to go over the top when saying it. See Cole last night correcting Graves Bullet Club mistake for the worst example of it.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Yup.

Did it all start with The Phenom?

They're touting Ember Moon as the She-nom. No messing

"It's Boss time!"

Yeah, heard them calling her the shenom.

"It's Boss time!"

That's the absolute worst of them all to be honest. It has made me resent Sasha Banks. I just wanna forward her matches now the minute I hear her theme kick in because I know that wankpuffin Cole is gonna say it. I can live with The Big Dawg. I can tolerate Oh My. I can just about abide Vintage. But this one. Sorry, I just can't. I can't. I know he's there waiting for his spot, like a wild cat on the Serengeti stalking his vulnerable prey. Cole, you fcuking scumbag shill, STOP SAYING IT, IT'S NOT BOSS TIME, IT'S 2:14am AND IT'S FAR TOO LATE IN THE NIGHT TO BE PUTTING UP WITH YOUR SH!T. FUCK OFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

^^ Agree with what Omackeral says about Cole, the rest of his over the top emphasizing can be dealt/put up with, but IT'S BOSS TIME and the extra oomph he puts into is where I draw the line.

Also wankpuffin, I'm nicking that for future use :pac:

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    ^^ Agree with what Omackeral says about Cole, the rest of his over the top emphasizing can be dealt/put up with, but IT'S BOSS TIME and the extra oomph he puts into is where I draw the line.

Also wankpuffin, I'm nicking that for future use :pac:

To be fair to Cole, it's clear when he has Triple H or Paul heyman involved at different times he's actually a good commentator. It's when he has Vince in his ear he becomes a disaster.

It's Raw's version of Rusev Day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Wish Rollins would get back that blonde streak in his hair, looked so much better with that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement