Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

heels aren't allowed wrestle as heels.

That's one of the reasons why. Heels in the past while have found it hard to get heel heat, because they're limited in what they can say and do. Might as well have everyone mostly face, and then fans can choose their favourite in a storyline or match

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That's one of the reasons why. Heels in the past while have found it hard to get heel heat, because they're limited in what they can say and do. Might as well have everyone mostly face, and then fans can choose their favourite in a storyline or match

That's not true at all.

Heels are allowed do and say a lot more then babyfaces are.

If they've found it hard to get heat it's because they're bad heels.

It's easier to get people to boo you then it is to cheer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Moneymaker wrote: »
    That's not true at all.

Heels are allowed do and say a lot more then babyfaces are.

If they've found it hard to get heat it's because they're bad heels.

It's easier to get people to boo you then it is to cheer you.

Imagine the heat Kane would have got if he left Bryan a bloody mess there a few weeks ago ?

While I like Bray Wyatt and the idea of his character, what does he ever do ? He talks about being "the reaper of souls". What does ever do about from mumble on and on, and give the sister abigail and Rowan and Harper attack or interfere.

He'd have been a great character 15 years ago, imagne the stuff they could have had him do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I agree it's far easier to be a heel, as it's creatively freeing as you don't have to worry about the fans. However today's fans are receptive to talent, so even if you're doing and saying something heelish, people see you're providing great entertainment, and cheer. Still easier than WWE's white-meat faces who are booked to tip-toe around anything fans might consider objectionable. Blame nWo's cool heels, which forever killed the divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think the unfortunate thing for faces is that ost actions of a face grow stale very quickly. To be a pr*ck you can do countless things. To be a nice guy there are only so many avenues to go down.

Smiling, waving and beating the bad guy. That's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Vince McMahon has said he doesn't want heels and faces anymore. Stupid 'cause any character based story needs an antagonist and protagonist. As mentioned before, heels aren't allowed wrestle as heels.

Funny how Russo was completely shit on for saying that, but with McMahon it's only a that's dumb type reaction. Yay for double standards! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Vince McMahon has said he doesn't want heels and faces anymore. Stupid 'cause any character based story needs an antagonist and protagonist. As mentioned before, heels aren't allowed wrestle as heels.

The Meltzer report that's cited from stated that it was less about 'no face, no heels' and more about no one's completely heel or completely face, there was nothing about jettisoning the dynamic.

Anyways, just watching RAW and it's gone to break, and having watched a lot of Nitro recently, it has me mourning for the days where Schiavone'd lead into a break with a 'if this contest ends during commercial we'll bring you highlights after'. It adds such an air of legitimacy and unpredictability for virtually zero effort. It certainly would go ways to obscuring how rigidly formatted RAW tends to be, where nothing of consequence takes place outside the top of the hours. Well, of limited relevance to a battle royale, but still......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You can have an antagonist and protagonist without having a clear cut good guy and bad guy, that's how real life works sure! :pac: I think it makes total sense in this day and age, I wrote about it not too long ago and have been saying the same for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

When did you write for 411wrestling? I remember going onto that site and spending about half an hour clicking on all the articles/reviews etc. from during the week and reading them offline later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

leggo wrote: »
    You can have an antagonist and protagonist without having a clear cut good guy and bad guy, that's how real life works sure! :pac: I think it makes total sense in this day and age, I wrote about it not too long ago and have been saying the same for years.
    I was actually thinking about this the other day watching the CM Punk documentary and how ridiculous it seems to be a bad guy then just turn into a good guy all of a sudden....it seems meaningless...like watching breaking bad for example,I don't think that a face or heel is clearly distinguishable, my opinions of Walt changed every episode whereas poor skylar was hated throughout....

If cena turns heel it makes sense as he has been good for 10 years....bit the likes of Cody Rhodes changing every year and a half, I love you no I hate you just seems to far fetched, I know TV shows have time to take a break and wwe don't but real life doesn't work like that

• Advertisement

irs wrote: »
    When did you write for 411wrestling? I remember going onto that site and spending about half an hour clicking on all the articles/reviews etc. from during the week and reading them offline later.

This is years back now, around Mania 21-ish I believe when I was around 16.
    Sirsok wrote: »
    I was actually thinking about this the other day watching the CM Punk documentary and how ridiculous it seems to be a bad guy then just turn into a good guy all of a sudden....it seems meaningless...like watching breaking bad for example,I don't think that a face or heel is clearly distinguishable, my opinions of Walt changed every episode whereas poor skylar was hated throughout....

If cena turns heel it makes sense as he has been good for 10 years....bit the likes of Cody Rhodes changing every year and a half, I love you no I hate you just seems to far fetched, I know TV shows have time to take a break and wwe don't but real life doesn't work like that

Exactly, whereas if you push a storyline and have the character react naturally then let the audience decide how they feel it can flow organically, rather than saying, "This person is inherently good/bad now." People like me in certain scenarios, in others the same people may hate me. I'm neither good nor bad: at times I can be really sound, at others probably a bit of a dick. Depends what's pushing me to act that way. That's real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I'm not sure if wrestling can be compared to TV dramas though. There are huge limits in the type of storylines you can do and what characters can go through. A wrestling show takes place in an arena in front of a crowd and is shown on TV. It's acknowledged that this is happening in front of millions of people. You can't have wrestlers cooking Crystal Meth in a desert as it wouldn't be done in front of cameras or shown on Raw. The audience can only see the same things that all the characters can and nothing else. Plus wrestling characters can't die or even get seriously ill as there nowhere you can really go with it and nobody would buy into it. Also wrestlers are ultimately athletes rather than actors. Being good at promos are playing your character well isn't the same as being able to act.

Plus wrestling characters can't die
    Not a wrestler, but they killed off Al Wilson. :pac:

I'm not sure if wrestling can be compared to TV dramas though. There are huge limits in the type of storylines you can do and what characters can go through. A wrestling show takes place in an arena in front of a crowd and is shown on TV. It's acknowledged that this is happening in front of millions of people. You can't have wrestlers cooking Crystal Meth in a desert as it wouldn't be done in front of cameras or shown on Raw. The audience can only see the same things that all the characters can and nothing else. Plus wrestling characters can't die or even get seriously ill as there nowhere you can really go with it and nobody would buy into it. Also wrestlers are ultimately athletes rather than actors. Being good at promos are playing your character well isn't the same as being able to act.

None of that has anything to do with the main point though: that fans are cheering who they want regardless already. So why fight it?

The biggest problem with the idea is that it goes against basic ring psychology of planning a match with a face/heel in mind. But if wrestlers are good enough to improvise in the ring based on the crowd's reactions (and if they aren't they shouldn't be doing it full-time for WWE) that solved that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Adam Rose is the most cringeworthy gimmick I've seen in years. There, I said it.

Adam Rose is the most cringeworthy gimmick I've seen in years. There, I said it.

Missed Emma so? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Emma is just harmless nonsense, I'm fine with that. It's that they have put so much effort into this that it's overkill. The fact that Michael Cole is dancing around "Having fun, King", shows you how lame the whole thing really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

The fact that Michael Cole is dancing around "Having fun, King", shows you how lame the whole thing really is.

I think that's a problem of commentary and not the gimmick tbh. They're a bit too long in the tooth play off a party boy gimmick as cool, they sound like they're trying to be "hip with the kids".

I do think that to like or dislike Rose is an unpopular opinion. He's marmite at the minute. Personally I love it! It's a great gimmick with a lot of fun around it. I know he won't be a maineventer with it but still its fun and easy to enjoy.

Best segment ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sirsok wrote: »

Or in the Big Show's case, every other week it seems :pac: he surely must have a record for the most number of heel turns in wrestling history?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

krudler wrote: »
    Or in the Big Show's case, every other week it seems :pac: he surely must have a record for the most number of heel turns in wrestling history?

I think you might be Miz-taken

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I think you might be Miz-taken

I don't think he is...

29(!) according to this in an 18 year career.

Somehow I thought it was more.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1o04ph/history_of_big_show_heelface_turns/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is just me basically being an idiot in my mate's apartment. Dig It!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Heard it suggested that WWE should bring back jobbers for Raw and Smackdown! I think it could be a good idea. Among other things it would get signature moves over as finishers however without devaluing them to a point where you have kickouts on finishers on TV as opposed to PPVs. Could also put stop to complaints about contract workers being buried when they lose a TV match.

A big negative could be a dip in ratings as people would be wise to them and switch off but people in large numbers switch off if there's something on Raw they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

krudler wrote: »

I think 9 times out of 10 if somebody has had a decent face run their heel turn will be quite good. There is a reason why Hollywood Hogan is one of the greatest heels of all time. I remember when Orton became the Legend Killer. It was such a success because for months and months leading to the turn he was the babiest of babyfaces. (Eg. Broken arm coming out and genuinely thanking the faces for their support)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I dunno, those thanking things were kinda heelish, and they were often interrupting face promos, weren't they? I remember at Survivor Series 2002 for example, Randy interrupted Shawn Michaels talking about the upcoming Elimination Chamber match. It set the groundwork for being a heel when he was back in-ring anyway.

Before those though, he was so babyface it was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Heard it suggested that WWE should bring back jobbers for Raw and Smackdown! I think it could be a good idea. Among other things it would get signature moves over as finishers however without devaluing them to a point where you have kickouts on finishers on TV as opposed to PPVs. Could also put stop to complaints about contract workers being buried when they lose a TV match.

A big negative could be a dip in ratings as people would be wise to them and switch off but people in large numbers switch off if there's something on Raw they don't like.
    I'd definitely stop watching anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Heard it suggested that WWE should bring back jobbers for Raw and Smackdown!.

Ahem,

Curt Hawkins
    Damien Sandow
    Darren Young
    David Otunga
    Diego
    Drew McIntyre
    Fandango
    Fernando
    The Great Khali
    Heath Slater
    Jinder Mahal
    Justin Gabriel
    Kofi Kingston
    R-Truth
    Sin Cara
    Xavier Woods
    Zack Ryder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I think 9 times out of 10 if somebody has had a decent face run their heel turn will be quite good. There is a reason why Hollywood Hogan is one of the greatest heels of all time. I remember when Orton became the Legend Killer. It was such a success because for months and months leading to the turn he was the babiest of babyfaces. (Eg. Broken arm coming out and genuinely thanking the faces for their support)

I thought the point of those was to annoy the bejesus out of people? Randy TV or something it was called wasnt it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement