Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Just thinking about the time Andre the Giant won the WWF Championship but the title was vacated when he handed it to Million Dollar Man. Does that still count Andre as a World Champion or does it kind've spoil his victory a little? It surprises me that WWE never gave him a proper run with the title, but I guess because of the whole winning streak thing they couldn't have him hold the belt because it would have been harder to get the belt off him.

Well if you give him a run with the title how do you get it off him without making him look like an idiot ? He's a giant and it's never gone well from what I can see with booking Giants as to get the title off them you either needed to bury them or make them look like completely idiots which didn't help the territory. I mean Andre was a special attraction, so if you make the special attraction not so special then why would people pay money to see him if you've been made him look like a joke ? They won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Not sure I follow your line of thinking. Why do you need to book him like an idiot to lose the title? Why can't you just book him in a competitive match against a super babyface that he dominates but ultimately loses? Like the main event of Wrestlemania 3.

Monokne wrote: »
    Not sure I follow your line of thinking. Why do you need to book him like an idiot to lose the title? Why can't you just book him in a competitive match against a super babyface that he dominates but ultimately loses? Like the main event of Wrestlemania 3.

Well it's the logical thinking from an old school territories point of view. Outside of the WWE Andre never won a world title. The logic they seemed to use is he's a special attraction and one way to mess it up was to give him a title. By booking him to lose a title that by all logic he should keep hold of, why would the fans continue to believe he's this special attraction ? He's just lost a match he should have won. By not making him a champion he can come into a territory and sell it out for a week and if he really liked a guy he'd do the job for him in a messy kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://youtu.be/DIaHv_wNHC0

Good video with a lot of stuff I never noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well if you give him a run with the title how do you get it off him without making him look like an idiot ? He's a giant and it's never gone well from what I can see with booking Giants as to get the title off them you either needed to bury them or make them look like completely idiots which didn't help the territory. I mean Andre was a special attraction, so if you make the special attraction not so special then why would people pay money to see him if you've been made him look like a joke ? They won't.

It might have been possible to give him the WWF Championship and have him hold it going into Wrestlemania 3 so that it was Hogan who was the challenger instead. The streak could have factored into his WWF title reign with people questioning who could stop Andre and that could have been Hogan. I don't know if it would have changed the impact of Wrestlemania 3 or not but it might have been possible. Hogan ended the winning streak so nothing wouldn have been changed in that regard.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it's the logical thinking from an old school territories point of view. Outside of the WWE Andre never won a world title. The logic they seemed to use is he's a special attraction and one way to mess it up was to give him a title. By booking him to lose a title that by all logic he should keep hold of, why would the fans continue to believe he's this special attraction ? He's just lost a match he should have won. By not making him a champion he can come into a territory and sell it out for a week and if he really liked a guy he'd do the job for him in a messy kind of way.

Right, but the original poster said it was curious WWE never gave him a run with the title, and what both he and I were referring to were his WWF tenure from the early 80's on.

Also, what'd be the difference between doing a job in a 'messy kind of way' for a title or not for a title? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jericho has arrived in Japan to face Tetsuya Naito.

I love that Jericho is doing business with all these different companies, such as ROH & Impact on the Jericho Cruise, still seems to have a place in WWE, and can also wrestle for NJPW.

Almost feels like the old days, where a wrestler could go between promotions etc, mostly the champion of course, but i get that same vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are Fozzy actually good or is y2j the reason for there success and the other lads in the band are lapping it up ??

I like Enemy and Judas

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Are Fozzy actually good or is y2j the reason for there success and the other lads in the band are lapping it up ??

I like Enemy and Judas

Yes, they are actually good, and have a following outside of wrestling fans. they've toured with some big names as well, played big festivals such as Download etc, based on their musical ability rather than Jericho's name

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They wouldn't be my cup of tea. Very derivative of the big successful bands in that genre.

Don't rate Jericho as a vocalist either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Never really paid attention to them but yeah I really like Judas. If that's reflective of their general output I might look into them more in depth.

Obsolete is surprisingly class from Jeff's band also but wouldn't pay attention bar that.

They wouldn't be my cup of tea. Very derivative of the big successful bands in that genre.

Don't rate Jericho as a vocalist either.

This.

If you're into that genre, there's nothing offensively bad about them, but Jericho can't sing. He just sounds like he's talking or screaming at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Imagine if Raw and Smackdown were literally run as 2 seperate brands within WWE

One of the big reasons WWE is mostly crap is lack of competition, but imagine if they were literally ran totally seperate of each other with the literal goal of trying to be the best, each ran by different people

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just on PTH2009's point RE: Fozzy, for a band that started out as a cover band and a play on Ozzy Osbourne's name, they've carved out a pretty good place for themselves in the rock world..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Anyone else catch the Andre documentary? If you haven't, it's available on demand on Sky until Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Watched it on sunday absolutely phenomenal i thought

Letting Nia Jax tap to Ronda on Raw this week makes me feel like they wasted that moment. I mean what if Ronda had locked the Armbar on Nia only for Nia to power out of it or something or turn it into a powerbomb. Nia could look dominating but it could also raise questions about Ronda being able to execute the move on Nia. Now that Nia has tapped it makes me feel like the moment is lost now. If she taps again at Money in the Bank then it could ruin her character.

That is assuming that WWE doesn't plan to do some sort of controversial ending where Ronda is screwed and Nia manages to retain the title. If that is the story they plan to tell then I could see why Nia might tap. I guess we'll find out at MITB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Nia could win unclean. A possible interference?. Mickey James?, Ronda can go through a few people before going for the title again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Letting Nia Jax tap to Ronda on Raw this week makes me feel like they wasted that moment. I mean what if Ronda had locked the Armbar on Nia only for Nia to power out of it or something or turn it into a powerbomb. Nia could look dominating but it could also raise questions about Ronda being able to execute the move on Nia. Now that Nia has tapped it makes me feel like the moment is lost now. If she taps again at Money in the Bank then it could ruin her character.

That is assuming that WWE doesn't plan to do some sort of controversial ending where Ronda is screwed and Nia manages to retain the title. If that is the story they plan to tell then I could see why Nia might tap. I guess we'll find out at MITB.

I dunno if you followed her in UFC, but Rousey's armbar is legitimately one of the most deadly moves in MMA history. Someone getting out of it should be a huge deal and only come as a huge moment in a big match (maybe the match where she first loses cleanly). Having it broken the Raw before a PPV before the move has even been fully established in WWE would be a big mistake IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I bet my non existent house on natayla being invovled in a screwy finish at mitb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If there's going to be a Dusty Finish (TM), I can imagine Steph getting involved and doing a screwjob, this time counting a pin while Ronda's locking in the armbar. :rolleyes:

leggo wrote: »
    I dunno if you followed her in UFC, but Rousey's armbar is legitimately one of the most deadly moves in MMA history. Someone getting out of it should be a huge deal and only come as a huge moment in a big match (maybe the match where she first loses cleanly). Having it broken the Raw before a PPV before the move has even been fully established in WWE would be a big mistake IMO.

Fair enough but I was kind've expecting them to hold off on allowing Ronda to use it on Nia until their match. I just feel like part of the build up of this match is whether Ronda can use it on Nia and make her tap out.

But like I said, if Ronda gets screwed on Sunday then it probably would make sense that Nia tapped on Raw, because then you could explain it that Nia started to have doubts about beating Ronda after she tapped and realized that Ronda could beat her, so she made some sort of a deal to screw Ronda in order to keep the championship.

If there's going to be a Dusty Finish (TM), I can imagine Steph getting involved and doing a screwjob, this time counting a pin while Ronda's locking in the armbar. :rolleyes:

It makes sense to have Steph do something to keep Ronda busy for a while and away from the title. Like having the Riott Squad as her cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm abstaining from the vote, but when was Scarlett in WWE and how did I not notice?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm abstaining from the vote, but when was Scarlett in WWE and how did I not notice?

YouTube Nia Jax and Scarlett Bordeaux. :(

Did you post in the wrong thread CT?

https://youtu.be/jeAfhmGRE9k

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Did you post in the wrong thread CT?

https://youtu.be/jeAfhmGRE9k

Nah. Didn't want to have chat in your thread.
    And may I just say I have pity on you having to go to the bother of finding pictures of all those women. You're a good man doing all this for our benefit. :pac:

And looks like I didn't recognise her due to the hair being much different than other photos I've seen. Also wearing more clothes.

It makes sense to have Steph do something to keep Ronda busy for a while and away from the title. Like having the Riott Squad as her cronies.

I think they're doing the match so Ronda can go into the UFC Hall of Fame as WWE Women's champion so I suspect she will win.

Nah. Didn't want to have chat in your thread.
    And may I just say I have pity on you having to go to the bother of finding pictures of all those women. You're a good man doing all this for our benefit. :pac:

And looks like I didn't recognise her due to the hair being much different than other photos I've seen. Also wearing more clothes.

It's a hard job alright, but as the fella said, someone has to do it 😀

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It's a hard job alright, but as the fella said, someone has to do it ��

Not all superheroes wear capes Gerry. A lot of fellas have said an awful lot of wise thing down the years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement