Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Monokne wrote: »
    I think they're doing the match so Ronda can go into the UFC Hall of Fame as WWE Women's champion so I suspect she will win.

Jesus that's brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Random side-note (possibly late) - seems they've uploaded the Kenny/Okada 1hr match in its entirety on the NJPW channel for those who haven't seen it. If you're not a highlights type or have heard the hype but not seen it, well, now you can (for free):

[MOD SNIP: link now dead :( ]
    Seems they deleted it... Shame - but for a while people had the chance to watch the entire unedited match for free, but judging by the reaction to Omega v Okada 4, the previously trilogy was absolutely topped by the finale (and Chris Jericho causing even more waves is just a bonus). Even just looking at the highlights of these battles makes me wonder how I could then go and watch a WWE event any more. The quality/story-telling/wrestling itself is on a far different level.

Just on these 2 points, NJPW uploaded matches to their YouTube for a week, and only a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I recall a different match Rope! From what I remember I was pissed off because they had Steph put in more resistance to Ronda ****ing Rousey's armbar than Asuka was able to in a half assed figure 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I recall a different match Rope! From what I remember I was pissed off because they had Steph put in more resistance to Ronda ****ing Rousey's armbar than Asuka was able to in a half assed figure 8.

i think what rope was referring to was that once ronda locked it in steph was done while she was blocking the rest of the attempts.

but dont get me started on how bad that askua tapping to Charlotte was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

Jesus that's brutal.

In what sense?

Their business is the TV business now. It's less about drawing fans and more about schmoozing network big wigs. I'm ssuuupper critical as a fan of all the stuff they do to get themselves mainstream pub and the way they break kayfabe within the body of their own shows to further their "look at us, aren't we great" agendas, but the two giant money TV deals being finalised indicates they have really managed to legitimise themselves as an entertainment powerhouse in US culture. With that in mind, Ronda showing up there billed as WWE's top woman is just good pub for them.

Now, as a mark watching the show - I would much rather a long chase before Ronda gets the title. I miss those stories and that business. It feels increasingly elusive, at least on the WWE level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yep, they actually had their first "For your consideration" Emmy event last week.

(Not that they'll actually win one or even get nominated for one, mind...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Exactly, although the fact Steph was desperately blocking it is also selling the move in its own way (even if it makes no sense how she magically acquired these anti-submission abilities). They're showcasing a fear of the armbar as well as its impact when it is executed, which is the right thing to do in order to add hype behind Ronda.

This. There's a big difference between someone blocking it (which is conceivable that Stephanie devoted a huge amount of training into one task, i.e. stopping the armbar from being implemened) rather than outright countering it once it's locked in.

i seen ric flair say that ronda only has a 1 year deal and shes on record as saying she wants to start a family so they might be rushing things to try get eveything they want from her.

my guess is natayla at summerslam, 4 horwomen match at survivor series then ronda/charlotte main events mania

Ronda said she has committed for "several" years. It may well be that she misspoke but Ric is hardly a bastion of credibility either so I think it's a wait and see thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d say (pure speculation before anyone accuses me of Meltzering) there’s all sorts of conditions in her contract. Multi-year options, MMA fight options, straight-up termination clauses under certain circumstances etc.

It’s possible that only the first year is guaranteed, and the remaining are optional to be activated by either Ronda or WWE. There’s no way she’s on anything resembling a standard contract.

Having said that, Ric providing information on anything like this is dubious to some degree, as Monokne pointed out.

• Advertisement

I agree that her contract is likely more layered than the average WWE one. I do, however, suspect that they have her at least thru 2019. Their new TV partners will be very disappointed if they don't get Ronda and/or Brock for the level of money they are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Monokne wrote: »
    I agree that her contract is likely more layered than the average WWE one. I do, however, suspect that they have her at least thru 2019. Their new TV partners will be very disappointed if they don't get Ronda and/or Brock for the level of money they are paying.

Yeah I’m pretty sure they were saying it was a ‘multi year contract” when she first signed. They may well allow her to come and go even more as the years go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has Vince given up on Tag Teams and groups again loads of them have seemed to disappear off screen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Has Vince given up on Tag Teams and groups again loads of them have seemed to disappear off screen again.

I can never understand that. Surely its just as easy to market a team as it is an individual? I grew up loving tag team wrestling, granted we had Steiners, Harlem Heat, NWO, Horsemen, APA, Hardys, E&C, Dudleys, Filthy Animals (I was young and thought they were cool), Kronik (as before), New Age Outlaws, LOD, Hart and Bulldog, X Pac and Kane

which is crazy considering just how good the tag team division was in 2017/early 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There really is nothing quite like watching quality tag team wrestling, when it's done right.

I genuinely can't wait for Vince to finally fcuk off into the ether. The way he flops and changes his mind on things is really frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Is it wrong I wanna see a Braun Strowman and Finn Balor tag team??

Is it wrong I wanna see a Braun Strowman and Finn Balor tag team??

i think they have great chemistry together

the monster and the demon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

sky88 wrote: »
    i think they have great chemistry together

the monster and the demon

The Braulor club

Mainly I wanna see Finn do his finisher from Braun's shoulders

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    There really is nothing quite like watching quality tag team wrestling, when it's done right.

I genuinely can't wait for Vince to finally fcuk off into the ether. The way he flops and changes his mind on things is really frustrating

NXT do amazing tag team matches. It’s a shame WWE can’t take a page out of their own book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who are the most over jobbers over the years? Even though they lose and everyone knows they'll lose, they get cheered.
    Seems Dakota Kai is going that way in NXT.

And has any jobber gone from jobber status to mid or top card title holder? Apart from Jinder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Tye Dillinger was fairly over in NXT and for about 2 years all he did was face the newest indie signee

I’d never call him over but James Ellsworth was always enjoyable I found

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote:
    And has any jobber gone from jobber status to mid or top card title holder? Apart from Jinder

Heath Slater I guess. Won the Smackdown tag titles. Maybe Zack Ryder would be another when he won the IC title but both were brief reigns.
    WWE rarely jobs out someone they have actual plans for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Who are the most over jobbers over the years? Even though they lose and everyone knows they'll lose, they get cheered.

Matt Hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

CastorTroy wrote: »

Tommy Dreamer during his time in WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

x43r0 wrote:
    Tommy Dreamer during his time in WWE

I can't think of Dreamers WWE run without thinking of him drinking Takers tobacco spit probably the most flat out disgusting thing I ever seen WWE do.
    Then Taker beat him up as the fans chanted "Taker, Taker, Taker"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Tom Brandi
    Brooklyn Brawler

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ERG89 wrote: »
    Heath Slater I guess. Won the Smackdown tag titles. Maybe Zack Ryder would be another when he won the IC title but both were brief reigns.
    WWE rarely jobs out someone they have actual plans for.

As soon as McIntyre wins a belt we can confirm 3MB as one of the greatest Stables of the 2010s

• Advertisement

I wonder if they will ever try the mitb winner wins the title without the briefcase and holds both of them. Could work with a heel cause they can threaten to cash it in immediately and get good heat with it but im not too sure if it would come off right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement