Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sirsok wrote: »
    Watching takeover (great show)

One thing annoyed me though....spoiler
    Riddle finished off Ohno with a knee to face his finisher, in less then ten seconds... no problem.

Then Shayna Blazer used the same thing

Then Gargano and Black used the move a few times

Then Ciampa

Then Roderick Strong in war games.

Just kinda defeats the purpose of
    Riddles knee.

Not even didferent variations of knee to face, pretty much the exact same move, an axe knee type move. Rowe did a knee to face but more akin to Daniels Bryans knee finisher.

Meant to say about this, I guess one way to explain it would be to use the Superkick as an example. Sure everyone does it these days, yet it's only really a finisher for Shawn Michaels. So the knee for everyone else is a superkick. For Matt Riddle it's a Sweet Chin Music. I'm sure his MMA career is a factor as well towards his striking ability.
    And as you know, even moves used as finishers early in a person's career are just standard moves later, like Sheamus' Irish Curse. So while it worked for Matt now, that could change later.

I won't talk about older guys like Jake Roberts who used the DDT as it's not the only move that has lost effectiveness over the years.

Besides, it just looked cool in his Takeover day-but, bro. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I mean if you want to kayfabe yourself with the knee, there’s not a lot of leaping to do. With strikes a person’s weight/core strength, accuracy in where it connects, technique and so on come into it hugely: so you can get an identical punch from two different people and one can KO you while the other can barely affect you. It wouldn’t be like a submission hold, say, which would depend a lot more on technique.

However from a ‘golden rules of wrestling’ standpoint, you’re dead right, and I noticed the same thing myself. The same move being done in two consecutive matches even if sloppy. It being done in EVERY match is super weak. People shouldn’t even lock up on every match on the card like. Sadly these kinda golden rules often get forgotten about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

More wrestlers should add their own flourish to things like superkicks to stand out more. Black Mass is my favourite finisher around right now and it just a superkick really but that spin adds so much to it. Also seen a gif of a japanese female wrestler on Reddit who does a superkick and rolls through it. Looks slick as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jake the Snake on Joe Rogans podcast tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Random but i Really really can’t stand John Cena. He comes across as so disingenuos And these regular pompous sanctimonious tweets are just insufferable

https://twitter.com/johncena/status/1064861611591118848?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I think Nakamura should have won at Survivor Series. Say what you will about Raw having clean sweep over Smackdown, but for storyline purposes I think Dean Ambrose should have interfered and cost Rollins the match to add more to their feud. The way Ambrose is, he wouldn't care about Raw so it gives him enough reason to interfere. That's what I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I think Nakamura should have won at Survivor Series. Say what you will about Raw having clean sweep over Smackdown, but for storyline purposes I think Dean Ambrose should have interfered and cost Rollins the match to add more to their feud. The way Ambrose is, he wouldn't care about Raw so it gives him enough reason to interfere. That's what I think anyway.

this is what i was expecting to happen and unless theirs something to come from the clean sweep on the main show, on smackdown this week the clean sweep is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Random but i Really really can’t stand John Cena. He comes across as so disingenuos And these regular pompous sanctimonious tweets are just insufferable

It's worth it for the mindfcuk that is his Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I always find it funny that the hosts/writers of shows/sites like WhatCulture, Cultaholic etc all call Meltzer names while always stealing and quoting his work for their daily news exclusives.

I always find it funny that the hosts/writers of shows/sites like WhatCulture, Cultaholic etc all call Meltzer names while always stealing and quoting his work for their daily news exclusives.

The only ones I like out of all What Culture, Cultaholic etc are Simon Miller and Adam Cleary. The rest are pretty annoying.

Any idea why they refer to Meltzer as "Shagger Dave" on their videos sometimes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Excellent as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Watching the Styles 365 documentary one moment that was sader than anything else was when he was discussing the upcoming dream match with Nakamura & they build it up for a few minutes but it's like even they knew that it failed to meet expectations so never go into detail on if it delivered.
    The doc at the very end also tries to perceive that AJ understood what Vince meant by being a "pitbull" even though it's clear that Styles was a workhorse & steady hand above all else.
    The Heyman part also came across as being disingenuous even if Paul was serious.

I hoped when WhatCulture stopped doing wrestling they lot of them would disappear into the wilderness. But like a bad smell they quickly returned. They typify a lot of media they offer f**k all beyond regurgitating popular opinion or in your example; other people's work. One of them made a complete fool of himself not long after then, shaving his head & everything. :rolleyes:

The Nal wrote: »
    Excellent as expected.

I enjoyed it in parts, mainly Cos I’m a wrestling fan.. his story is inspiring in parts but he comes across as a bit of a creep at points though.. maybe I’m just a prude

The Nal wrote: »
    Excellent as expected.

I enjoyed it in parts, mainly Cos I’m a wrestling fan.. his story is inspiring in parts but he comes across as a bit of a creep at points though.. maybe I’m just a prude

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

J. Marston wrote: »

Jesus Christ. I hope that piece of shít got beaten to within an inch of his life when he got to the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Jake Robert's whole gimmick now is that he is a recovering addict, and he seems to be able to separate the person he was then to this great shiny new version of himself. Just like Shawn Michaels.

But I'm afraid, you can't blame drugs and alcohol for the fact that sometimes you've just been a complete knob in your life. If you listen to Jake there's always an excuse or "it was those same demons, man."

Did the demons make him neglect his snake while he lived in England and have the RSPCA go after him to the point that he can never return to the UK?

sirmanga wrote: »
    Jake Robert's whole gimmick now is that he is a recovering addict, and he seems to be able to separate the person he was then to this great shiny new version of himself. Just like Shawn Michaels.

But I'm afraid, you can't blame drugs and alcohol for the fact that sometimes you've just been a complete knob in your life. If you listen to Jake there's always an excuse or "it was those same demons, man."

Did the demons make him neglect his snake while he lived in England and have the RSPCA go after him to the point that he can never return to the UK?

I would bet yes. If he was too strung out, or too stoned, he'd be incapable of caring for an animal. I think its pretty well known that addicts make bad & selfish decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

sirmanga wrote: »

At would be amazed at the neglect an addict can display. That's actually one of the things addicts find hardest to move past; the reality that they've done these terrible things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Roberts, like many famous ex-addicts, use their addiction to wash away the times they were assholes. It's a convenient excuse that only some famous people get the privilege of using. Regular people have to own up and admit when they were rotten in life.

Roberts is a carny. His whole " I turned my life around/positive life message" gimmick is all a work. By no means do I mean that he is not off the drugs and genuine about it, but he is now using it to promote himself, not the cause.

The moment I realised it was when I saw his one man show in Canada a couple of years back. He told some disgusting, weird, sexist and homophobic stories.

Then at one point, in the middle of a story, he stood up off his stool and almost fell over because he said his hip just gave out. And he said "man you know I'm not gonna get very far if I don't get this thing fixed. That pain goes through your body, and God damn man, those old feelings come back. You want to make the pain go away. But I know how to be strong now."
    And the room lit up with applause as Jake steadied himself.

The following night his one man show was on again and, though I really didn't want to, a friend was going and had a spare ticket and asked me to come. And I did.

And wouldn't you know it, his hip gave out during the exact same story and he said the exact same thing.

That's the moment I thought "not only is this one sleazy guy, but he is working everyone."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

His one man show, was a show though. I get what your saying, but it was a performance after all , from someone who is highly skilled at drawing emotions from people with his ability to act hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sirsok wrote: »
    His one man show, was a show though. I get what your saying, but it was a performance after all , from someone who is highly skilled at drawing emotions from people with his ability to act hurt.

This, 100%. I don’t think people get that everything people in the limelight do is a work...they’re literally working, it’s their job! Like any celeb you see posting on social media is doing the exact same as Jake here. They’re not thinking of you - yes, even the ones you like and think are sound - they’re thinking about providing ‘content’ designed for ‘engagement’ to ‘maximise their brand’. The relationship you and I have with them is that of a consumer, they’re no more your mate than the lads who work in Apple making your phone. The commodity they’re selling is entertainment. To the more hardcore fans that commodity is identity so people who have a deficiency of that in their lives can attach themselves to their identity and feel like they’re a more complete person by wearing their favourite wrestler/pop stars merchandise, chanting along etc.

I used to work in event security years ago and did 15 Westlife gigs in a row in The Point. Every one of those 15 nights they’d stop at the exact same point, give the exact same speech about how tonight’s crowd was their favourite and say a cutesie thing about how one of their relatives was in the crowd and point to the exact same spot (they’d switch up which relative night to night but it was always an elderly woman to maximise the “awww...” reactions). When you see it in action while detached as these teenage girls scream and cry because they’re in love with the lads and need to believe every word they say, you see it for what it really is.

That’s the fame game and it’s only when you get to know some of these people away from when they’re performing that you realise how little you actually know about them vs how much you think you know based on their public image. I know people who joke that the people everyone thinks are sound are almost always pricks, and the ones everyone thinks are pricks tend to be the soundest IRL. It’s an industry, a business designed to make money, no different to selling phones or clothes. And if you got tickets to a show then got mad at the performer for performing, I think that’s more on you than him for not managing your expectations.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1065701948475752452?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1065701948475752452&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2FSquaredCircle%2F

McGregor to do a run-in and help Becky in her WM match against Ronda for the unification of the women's belts. Why? Because she's Irish, I dunno. Just make it happen.

Or he is just promoting his whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Why was Big Show wearing leather pants at his da's funeral?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Cianan2 wrote: »

This caught me off guard :D. Spat out a little bit of coffee!

Imagine the size of the cow that had to die for those pants to be created!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why did the boss man drag away big shows dads coffin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Scott Hall being a prick. No need to put people down like that, kunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fcuk off and have a drink Scott.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement