Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Scott Hall burying Virgil to his face

I took this up completely the other way, that it's a slagging from old friends for the last 30+ years. Plus Virgil is a world-renowned hustler/cheapshake so it's pretty fair game. The massive smile when Scott comes over and starts working through the ridiculous merchandise should say it all (to me anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Scott Hall, another person whose alcoholism and addiction can't account for the fact that he's just a rotten sleaze bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I took this up completely the other way, that it's a slagging from old friends for the last 30+ years. Plus Virgil is a world-renowned hustler/cheapshake so it's pretty fair game. The massive smile when Scott comes over and starts working through the ridiculous merchandise should say it all (to me anyway).
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

I wouldn't agree with you, Virgil doesn't look comfortable at all and Scott is just pretty much mocking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Nobody knows. They could be best mates who rib each other hard, Scott Hall could be a bullying prick who’s ego is so fragile he only gets happiness from putting other people down. The editing suggests the person making it wants you to feel one way, but that stuff is so easily manipulated. You can basically believe what you want based on whatever pre-conceived notion you had based off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Many of these guys are trashy human beings in fairness. The business attracted a lot of these types to it back in the old days.

I get the impression that Jake for instance has a very bad streak in him. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Many of these guys are trashy human beings in fairness. The business attracted a lot of these types to it back in the old days.

I get the impression that Jake for instance has a very bad streak in him. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
    I finally read Bret Hart's book this year and he had this story to tell about Jake in 1979. Says it all really.

It was Friday night at the pavilion, March 23, 1979. Jake "The Snake" Roberts would finally face Big Daddy for the North American Championship belt. And Tom, tanned from a working vacation in Hawaii, was going to defend the British Commonwealth belt against me. Hito and Sak had the tag belts up.
    And Stu wore a satisfied smile: It was the first sellout of 1979.
    This time things were different with Tom and me. Our work was solid, not stiff, and we protected each other with mutual respect. In the dressing room afterwards, Tom smiled as he shook my hand, and for the first time, he thanked me for a match. I also noticed that he was growing thicker, and I'd soon learn he was getting steroids from the Boxing and Wrestling Commission doctor in Edmonton to build muscle on his 170-pound frame.
    When Jake beat Ritter for the North American title, the fans really popped, and we knew they would be coming back for more. But the next night at a spot show on a little Native reserve in Wetaskiwin, our North American Champion couldn't even stand up in the dressing room without grimacing in pain: He'd badly wrenched his knee. It's always hard to guess how serious a knee injury is or how long it'll take to heal. Our hopes of breaking even or maybe even making some money centered on the Jake and Ritter angle playing out over several weeks. The look on Stu's face said it all.
    A few days later, Tom pulled me aside in Regina, "You know, we're going to have to carry things until Jake gets back, so let's show 'em we can be the main event." We posed for a Body Press cover shot, each of us holding one end of the belt in the mock tug o' war. To me that meant, I'll carry my end if you carry yours.
    The plan that night was for me to put Dynamite over, with Marty Jones helping him. Then Bruce would come out of nowhere and save me. Together we'd clean house and come back in some tag matches, ultimately leading to a steel cage match with Bruce and Marty. Marty would put Bruce over and then head home to England. It was rare for Tom to screw up a finish, but that night he did.
    In a simple dive off the top rope that he should have kicked out on, he didn't. Wayne had no choice but to raise my hand and declare me the winner. Tom admitted the title change was his fault, and we agreed I'd drop it back to him in a few weeks. I kept it to myself that I was grateful for the twist of fate. Getting a win over The Dynamite Kid was no small thing. The fans considered it a huge upset, and it helped them forget the useless-little-brother image that Steinborn saddled me with.
    Jake stayed out longer than anyone expected. When Bruce picked me up in the van for the weekly drive to Saskatoon, just after Good Friday that year, it had been five weeks since Jake had worked, and he stood in the doorway of my house leaning on his crutches to wave good-bye. We hadn't gone far when I realized I'd left the Junior Heavyweight belt on the dining-room table, so we went back to get it. As we came up the walk, we could see Jake strolling around my kitchen without so much as a limp, cooking a hearty meal for himself. But when we knocked, he opened the door on crutches with what I now knew was a phoney pained expression on his face. I didn't confront him about it, just grabbed my belt and left. But we filled Stu in right away. He was none too happy, but he reasoned that it wouldn't do any good if Jake left town on us and asked us to keep it under our hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

That reminds me. I still have that book, must reread it as I’ve forgotten a lot of it. I do recall Bret complaining a lot mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's very detailed. Apparently he made audio recordings all the time on the road.

The second half is basically a huge rant about Shawn and Hunter, but oddly during the middle of the rant he takes time to praise "the miracle Shawn worked with Sid that night" so despite the personal hatred, he still admired his work.

Definitely prefer the first half of the book.

Much like Kurt's book, the first half about his amateur and Olympic career is much better than the second half about pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hate missing out on deals

ordered a Braun Xmas Jumper off Wrestling mania last week and payed €50 and now checked WWE Europshop and all xmas jumpers are €24 (€34 with P&P) for a special 2 day price

Almost send it the jumper back and get it off europshop for cheaper

https://euroshop.wwe.com/en_IE/ugly-holiday-sweatshirts/?curr=GBP

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I DM'd virgil about the above incident, i'll report back if he speaks on it :)

• Advertisement

Shop in Dublin won't refund the order cause they ordered the wwe xmas jumpers in especially for order and there not a shop item

No worries I'll have to take the loss and hope WWE Euroshop take back the items I ordered last night

Pain in the ass

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Shop in Dublin won't refund the order cause they ordered the wwe xmas jumpers in especially for order and there not a shop item

No worries I'll have to take the loss and hope WWE Euroshop take back the items I ordered last night

Pain in the ass

Always better shopping online for wrestling or any niche interest stuff. Just the pure economics of it will mean you’re better off, because retailers will have to add on a premium for their profit (as well as paying the shipping as you do) so you’ll always pay more than if you shopped yourself.

leggo wrote: »
    Always better shopping online for wrestling or any niche interest stuff. Just the pure economics of it will mean you’re better off, because retailers will have to add on a premium for their profit (as well as paying the shipping as you do) so you’ll always pay more than if you shopped yourself.

WWE Euroshop do some great deals

I always pity the parents at live events cause the stuff is way overpriced but kids love it and will want everything

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How are the Singh brothers still employed? I would see through it if they appeared on 205 Live once in a while.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How are the Singh brothers still employed? I would see through it if they appeared on 205 Live once in a while.

They could do some extra work behind the scenes

Speaking of that Jason Jordon must be a full time agent now as still has not returned to the ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote:

They'd point you towards the Colons & ask "what about them?"
    leggo wrote:

Just for pure economics around Black Friday, Cyber Monday time your better off waiting for sales before buying anything this time of the year. From electronics to merch.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Just for pure economics around Black Friday, Cyber Monday time your better off waiting for sales before buying anything this time of the year. From electronics to merch.

On that, fun story: I worked in a place the first Black Friday here where I was applying that logic and waiting, because the gift was expensive so I wanted to use my discount on the knockdown price. Then the day before Black Friday the price went WAY up out of nowhere, so I’d have been better buying at the original price with the discount rather than the Black Friday price! The high street is a bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ERG89 wrote: »
    They'd point you towards the Colons & ask "what about them?"

At least the Colons compete on a rare occasion.

I read somewhere recently that average WWE weekly viewing figures are at the lowest they've ever been.

Can this be true? I thought WWE recently signed the most lucrative TV deal in pro wrestling history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I read somewhere recently that average WWE weekly viewing figures are at the lowest they've ever been.

Can this be true? I thought WWE recently signed the most lucrative TV deal in pro wrestling history.

Both are true. They're setting record low ratings but record high TV deals. TV ratings are on the decline, fast, for all shows due to streaming platforms, so cable TV stations are fiercely competing against each other to snap up shows that draw solid ratings.

They'd probably make much more if their product as any good. It's a shame we don't have a rival wrestling company backed by a billionaire to compete with the WWE because they'd would get a good TV deal and a lot of wrestling fans are tired of WWE.

• Advertisement

Both are true. They're setting record low ratings but record high TV deals. TV ratings are on the decline, fast, for all shows due to streaming platforms, so cable TV stations are fiercely competing against each other to snap up shows that draw solid ratings.

They'd probably make much more if their product as any good. It's a shame we don't have a rival wrestling company backed by a billionaire to compete with the WWE because they'd would get a good TV deal and a lot of wrestling fans are tired of WWE.

See there’s a misnomer there I think people have bought into. The product is likely worse than it was when there was just 2 hours of Raw and Sunday Night Heat because we weren’t over-saturated and they were under-resourced to put out so much weekly content. But the TV deals are in place precisely because they can put out so much weekly (live) content. So one actually feeds into the other. For example, everyone says Raw became tough to watch when it went to 3 hours (I’d tend to agree), but why did they go 3 hours? More money!

So both things are true: it’s annoying for us because it leads to a diluted end product, but it’s also a good business decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If All Elite Wrestling is to get going and gets a major TV deal they could do a lot worse than trying to get Edge and Christian in as the colour commentary team with a decent play by play guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Titus did a Ted talk last year sometime. It's a good listen.

https://youtu.be/fE91Mu4b1CU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

It's hard not too see Hollywood John phone in his next few wwe matches/appearances

For a man who said he would never follow the rocks example of 'leaving wwe for Hollywood' hes doing a great job of it

Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PTH2009 wrote:
    It's hard not too see Hollywood John phone in his next few wwe matches/appearances

No change there from the last year or so then. Like most part timers in the company their matches in the majority of cases flat out suck.

Watched Raw in full for the first time in a couple of yrs last wk.

Omg god it's so bad, zero reaction from the crowd.

There was an audible groan when some big woman came out. What's the story with all the Divas taking up airtime? Who the hell want's to watch women wrestle?

The funniest thing was the Lucha guys coming out to no reaction. There's a great shot of a man in the front row rolling his eyes as their music hits.

Then they go to break and when they come back the 3 masked retards are still dancing in the ring with the crowd not giving a sh1t.

It's so bad. The reason why we don't tell anyone we watch wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

man/woman, I used to firmly believe that RAW was never a skippable show, I'd **** a brick if i was goin to miss a show, before DVR I'd be getting ppl to record it etc, but now If i miss an eppy, ehhh i'll read the results or just catch up next week, nothing decent will happen anyway'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jaysus, I almost want Russo back. My morbid curiosity wants to know how he'd squander Ronda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement