Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ambrose vs Owen in the Last Man Standing Match at Royal Rumble 2016 was savage. That's worth checking out.

Sorry meant to say non gimmick match. Like just a straight up match

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote:
    Been thinking a lot about Ambrose lately but he absolutely sucks honestly trying to think of him in a good singles one on one in a ppv and it's been a struggle and he's wrestled Rollins and aj a lot on ppvs

You could say that about a lot of main WWE talents. Even Styles who's imo comfortably the best worker in WWE the last few years has had a lot of underwhelming PPV matches in that time too with Owens, Nakamura, Jericho & Joe.
    Ambrose honestly doesn't really care anymore he's not alone feeling that way in the company. When you have Sami Zayn saying he doesn't miss wrestling when out it does says it all about the overall lack of passion in the company.
    When they turned Ambrose heel they still even now clearly had no idea what to do with it despite it being the plan. I even noticed this the week after he turned as it was so blatantly obvious. Instead he cut promos from Vince's pen about public hygiene, Roman Reigns leukemia & the interminable Raw commentary team bicker with his wife who I guess they're hoping some week will spit out a good idea from the top of her head to explain the mess they booked themselves into.
    If you think about it him hitting Vince instead of AJ and a program with Shane is probably a better idea than what they will do going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nakamura is the biggest culprit when it comes to phoning it in.

J. Marston wrote:

Lesnar is the worst, just so lazy. Has around one good match a year & the rest are usually bad to downright terrible. His last really hot angle was so long ago Paul Heyman could probably tie the top button on his shirt in comfort.
    He's also pushed the moon and basically a world champion for the past 2 years. The annoying part is he can go when he wants but just doesn't 90% of the time.

J. Marston wrote: »

Nakamura did that in new Japan as well he's just not having the high calibre stuff at the big shows like he was having at njpw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

If WCW still existed Starrcade would have been going on right now or just about to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Are Brother Love and Dude Love related?

Why is the headbutt legal? Both the headbutt and lowblow are illegal in other combat sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,806 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Come on lads ye have to admit this is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Looking at the promotion work for Fighting with my family and I'm kind've perplexed about The Rock being shoehorned into it. I know he produced the movie, but the trailer focuses on The Rock as if to say "The Rock is in this movie, come and see it". He's also on the poster for the movie as well. I feel like having the The Rock in it kind've distracts people away from what the movie is actually about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Looking at the promotion work for Fighting with my family and I'm kind've perplexed about The Rock being shoehorned into it. I know he produced the movie, but the trailer focuses on The Rock as if to say "The Rock is in this movie, come and see it". He's also on the poster for the movie as well. I feel like having the The Rock in it kind've distracts people away from what the movie is actually about.

I feel the exact same, especially with how he’s portraying himself as Paige’s mentor, it’s weird. BUT then I think about the fact that it’s a real movie with a real release and real actors made for a mainstream audience who don’t care about the facts (while those that do will still see it if they want to)...and I get it more. Essentially they’re saying “Look I know what you’re thinking: I don’t like wrestling! But you like The Rock and remember he’s a wrestler? So maybe you’ll like this too!” And that makes sense.

The flip side of THAT is that that’s very written by committee rather than telling a good/true-to-life story that you can sink your teeth into. So the movie likely won’t be very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

leggo wrote: »
    I feel the exact same, especially with how he’s portraying himself as Paige’s mentor, it’s weird. BUT then I think about the fact that it’s a real movie with a real release and real actors made for a mainstream audience who don’t care about the facts (while those that do will still see it if they want to)...and I get it more. Essentially they’re saying “Look I know what you’re thinking: I don’t like wrestling! But you like The Rock and remember he’s a wrestler? So maybe you’ll like this too!” And that makes sense.

The flip side of THAT is that that’s very written by committee rather than telling a good/true-to-life story that you can sink your teeth into. So the movie likely won’t be very good.

It depends, I could imagine the Rock being used as a sort of amalgam character of a couple of vets who showed up and gave Paige advice / mentorship. Their way to keep the narrative simple instead of having a billion characters that only mean something to you if you have prior knowledge of who they are. He might end up being comic relief and get a lot of trailer time too, while not actually being that focal in the film. It is his own production essentially why not use his own stardom to get it more eyeballs. Because of some of the other people also in the project im at least positive it will be decent on some level. Wrestling fans / wrestlers won't be portrayed like in Ready 2 Rumble anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Come on lads ye have to admit this is class.

The title of that is enough to make me not want to click it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It depends, I could imagine the Rock being used as a sort of amalgam character of a couple of vets who showed up and gave Paige advice / mentorship. Their way to keep the narrative simple instead of having a billion characters that only mean something to you if you have prior knowledge of who they are. He might end up being comic relief and get a lot of trailer time too, while not actually being that focal in the film. It is his own production essentially why not use his own stardom to get it more eyeballs. Because of some of the other people also in the project im at least positive it will be decent on some level. Wrestling fans / wrestlers won't be portrayed like in Ready 2 Rumble anyway

Ah yeah look, I’ll give it a go and hope for the best, some of the names they got are unreal so likeability alone could make it worthwhile. It’s just I find that when you’re justifying questionable decisions based on it being good for marketing, it’s already on the backfoot in terms of quality expectations.

Stephen merchant writing the film gives me hope it could be ok but I'd say rock is in it very little not much more than were seeing and is just a hook to try drive non wrestling fans in

• Registered Users Posts: 38,253 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I loved Ready 2 Rumble

Riddle101 wrote: »

He's probably on posters and featured in promotion because he is the Rock and one of the biggest actors in Hollywood right now and it's a way of getting people interested in it.
    If someone was to google Paige right now and what her story is they are going to find a lot of things that don't represent her story so I feel they want Rock to draw in the general public interest as if they are relying just on a fan of wrestling to watch the movie your f**ked. With all due respect to them but Vince Vaughn, Nick Frost and Stephen Merchant aren't major Hollywood stars in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If you liked Undertale, you might like this...

It's really well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Am I the only one who would love a Kurt angle pop without the you suck crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'd love to see WWE fling the chequebook at Floyd Mayweather for a match at 'Mania again, man is box office.

ERG89 wrote: »
    He's probably on posters and featured in promotion because he is the Rock and one of the biggest actors in Hollywood right now and it's a way of getting people interested in it.
    If someone was to google Paige right now and what her story is they are going to find a lot of things that don't represent her story so I feel they want Rock to draw in the general public interest as if they are relying just on a fan of wrestling to watch the movie your f**ked. With all due respect to them but Vince Vaughn, Nick Frost and Stephen Merchant aren't major Hollywood stars in 2018.

I get why they have The Rock in the movie. It just looks like showing The Rock distracts people away from what the movie is about. But I'm probably wrong about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I still remember this debut like it was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I still remember this debut like it was yesterday.

Changed the business forever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We've a jet black female kitten called Bess.

She's only 4 months old.

When I came down for my tea this morning I let my Jack Russell, Tommy in the front door.

He ran into the kitchen and tried to jump up at Bess who was resting ontop of a kitchen chair.

Bess then performed a perfectly executed standing moonsault. She landed right behind him on her feet and delivered a clawed swipe to to the Russels face when he turned around.

I can see why Teddy Hart incoprates cats into his act, their athleticism is ubelievable.

This might not be a new thing but I've noticed it more since the New Year. It's that female WWE wrestlers seem more willing to come back at people on twitter who say less than complementary things about them. I've seen both Charlotte and Carmella reply back to random twitter users. Now maybe it's always happened and I missed it.

How well would Session Moth Martina do in WWE? I think she has a great potential but I couldn't see WWE using the character she plays. She'd get away with it in Impact Wrestling, but I'd say WWE would neuter her character a little. I do hope it she gets signed some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I've been thinking about the women's evolution and how the women of 10-15-20 years ago must feel about basically being told they were a joke. The promos the women and Stephanie regularly cut now refer to these previous eras in poor terms. Especially for the likes of Tori and Barbie who are still making a living on their looks yet are condescendingly offered a role in the likes of the women's Royal Rumble.

If anyone follows Maria on Instagram she captures what I'm getting at as she regularly (and rightfully) refers to how she's a much denigrated "Diva" and proud of it. Even if she's kayfabing you can still tell it's upsetting to her to be referred to as being a part of an era that hurt women in the business.

For me the likes of Maria, Lana, Maryse, Scarlett Bordeaux and Brandi Rhodes have a lot to be proud of in this era where they're told by the machine that they shouldn't be. It's all about offering something different and entertaining at the end of day.

How many talented women's wrestlers are WWE wasting right now for example as they pontificate about their so called evolution?

I've been thinking about the women's evolution and how the women of 10-15-20 years ago must feel about basically being told they were a joke. The promos the women and Stephanie regularly cut now refer to these previous eras in poor terms. Especially for the likes of Tori and Barbie who are still making a living on their looks yet are condescendingly offered a role in the likes of the women's Royal Rumble.

If anyone follows Maria on Instagram she captures what I'm getting at as she regularly (and rightfully) refers to how she's a much denigrated "Diva" and proud of it. Even if she's kayfabing you can still tell it's upsetting to her to be referred to as being a part of an era that hurt women in the business.

For me the likes of Maria, Lana, Maryse, Scarlett Bordeaux and Brandi Rhodes have a lot to be proud of in this era where they're told by the machine that they shouldn't be. It's all about offering something different and entertaining at the end of day.

How many talented women's wrestlers are WWE wasting right now for example as they pontificate about their so called evolution?

I think most would agree that the divas division 10 years ago was not great. They had a few decent women in the division like Mickie James and Beth Phoenix but it was full of women who were only there because they were good looking and attractive. The likes of Maryse and Maria were nothing special in the ring and were just eye candy for the most part. WWE just seemed happy to limit the women. Compare that to what TNA was doing with the Knockouts Division which was significantly better.

I don't blame the women so much as I blame creative for neutering the women's division. Someone must have gotten into Vince's head that women's wrestling is a joke and he went with it. I've heard it was John Laurinaitis who started hiring the good looking divas, and I've also heard Kevin Dunn hated women's wrestling. I don't know the full story so I can't really say how things got so bad.

I do however think the women's division 15 years ago was pretty good though. Back when they had Molly Holly, Victoria and Jazz. WWE and it's fan seem to look back at the women's divison from Trish's era pretty well, but the diva's division is what gets most of the criticism though.

Still plenty of poor to average women wrestlers on WWE most weeks. A few of them make up for it being compelling characters but that doesn't make them talented when they get in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jaysus, I'm thinking back to SmackDown's women's division around 2006/7. Now that's what you call a nadir.

• Advertisement

To be fair to the women's roster in the last ten years, it wasn't all bad. I mean there us a maryse vs michelle mccool match from smackdown in 2010 that I watch a while ago and it was perfectly passable as a match. They weren't jack Brisco in the ring but it was perfectly fine. Also Candice Michelle while not a ring general, to her credit at least tried and become okay in the ring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement