Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Did the Miz just steal Hornswoggle's latest gimmick?

I think it's a bit of MK's Johnny Cage:

10532360_828643963821873_3432675606505115422_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was going to put this in the Q&A but I think this is probably the best place on this forum for a bit of debate.

With WWE Network seemly floundering, bit premature but you could almost lump it in the barrel with other extra-curricular business “failures” from WWE- WWE Films. The WBF. The XFL. WWE New York.

Have the WWE ever had a successful venture outside of it’s bread and butter of wrestling and soap opera? Even in Wrestling what big punts would class as a rip roaring success?

I’d nearly say all their ventures into TV outside of RAW, SMACKDOWN, ME, SNME have when down brilliantly. The likes of Slam City, Tough Enough, Total Divas and even years ago Hogan’s cartoon and Piledriver Album.

"Stadium"ing Wrestlemania was probably a move that made the WM beast even bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Was going to put this in the Q&A but I think this is probably the best place on this forum for a bit of debate.

With WWE Network seemly floundering, bit premature but you could almost lump it in the barrel with other extra-curricular business “failures” from WWE- WWE Films. The WBF. The XFL. WWE New York.

Have the WWE ever had a successful venture outside of it’s bread and butter of wrestling and soap opera? Even in Wrestling what big punts would class as a rip roaring success?

I’d nearly say all their ventures into TV outside of RAW, SMACKDOWN, ME, SNME have when down brilliantly. The likes of Slam City, Tough Enough, Total Divas and even years ago Hogan’s cartoon and Piledriver Album.

"Stadium"ing Wrestlemania was probably a move that made the WM beast even bigger.

Waaaaayy too early to call the WWE Network an XFL-like flop. It's just not meeting projections, that's no anywhere near a failure. And the fact WWE has embedded it so much into their business plan (they simply can't go back to charging big money for individual PPVs now after offering them for $9.99) means that they'll have to stick with it until it works. Which it will, in time, I'm 100% sure of that. Simply because they have no other choice.

Think of it like a games console: you can't judge it too much by initial sale numbers, it's really the second Christmas after it's released (when the mainstream audience get it after seeing which one is getting the biggest 'nerd buzz') when you look at the numbers and see what's a hit or not.

The problem with it right now is that under-performing projections moves WWE's stock price dramatically (even though today's didn't) and causes panic which can lead to big, knee-jerk reactions in the short-term. At the very least it can lead to the likes of Drew McIntyre's career, one which could very feasibly have been put back on the right track in time, getting setback and other background people losing jobs. That's still a big deal, especially for the people involved, but it also isn't the same as saying that the Network's future is in the air.

leggo wrote: »
    Waaaaayy too early to call the WWE Network an XFL-like flop. It's just not meeting projections, that's no anywhere near a failure.

Especially since the XFL beat projections. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

leggo wrote: »
    Waaaaayy too early to call the WWE Network an XFL-like flop. It's just not meeting projections, that's no anywhere near a failure. And the fact WWE has embedded it so much into their business plan (they simply can't go back to charging big money for individual PPVs now after offering them for $9.99) means that they'll have to stick with it until it works. Which it will, in time, I'm 100% sure of that. Simply because they have no other choice.

Exactly right. WWE pumped $75 million into the Network since 2010, there's no going back. Although that's more than the XFL losses ($63m for the WWE) WWE are severely cutting costs to make the Network profitable ($10m this year and $30m next year) so they can break even on 500k subs. That's both incredible & scary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I don't think there are many in wrestling/away from wrestling right now who's return I would mark out more for than Shane McMahon.

I don't think there are many in wrestling/away from wrestling right now who's return I would mark out more for than Shane McMahon.

That is a great shout. Would be fantastic to see him dropped into the authority angle. When I hear Sting’s music I’ll definitely pop but just for that decades long wait to see him in a WWE ring (bit sullied now they have already unveiled him).

It’s a pity we no longer get that “jumped ship” mark out moment like we used to when somebody would arrive to and from ECW, WCW, WWE.

Might be controversial, but superstar-wise I think I’d be most excited about a Mr. Kennedy return. Know he was hit and miss with the fans but IMO I think he really should be classed as one of the greatest “what could/should/would have been”s in wrestling. Was always touted he was destined to be the reveal for The Vince paternity angle from years back. Gutted it never happened, could have been brilliant. Especially considering the limpest of ducks that was Vince/Hornswoggle we got instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Never saw the big deal with Kennedy tbh.

Suspended, question marks over his safety in the ring, etc etc.

Don't think WWE would touch him with a barge pole.

The one guy I want to see come back is John Morrison.

The questions about his safety are pants IMO and all stem from issued raised by Mr.Credible himself Randy Orton.

As I heard said by Kennedy once, if everyone had a concern about how safe he was why would Undertaker agree to be tombstoned onto a hearse by Kennedy @ Armageddon 2006. You can count on one hand the amount of guys that have tombstoned (quite dangerous move) Taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I would like to see WWE make a documentary DVD on Sheamus.

• Advertisement

The questions about his safety are pants IMO and all stem from issued raised by Mr.Credible himself Randy Orton.

As I heard said by Kennedy once, if everyone had a concern about how safe he was why would Undertaker agree to be tombstoned onto a hearse by Kennedy @ Armageddon 2006. You can count on one hand the amount of guys that have tombstoned (quite dangerous move) Taker.

Fine, i'll give you that.

He's still not very good and massively over-rated imo. There are better guys out there even in the low-mid card in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Peferably without "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome back Shane McMahon" and instead just randmonly hit the "Here comes the Money!" theme before Sandow McMahon comes out. :pac:

Peferably without "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome back Shane McMahon" and instead just randmonly hit the "Here comes the Money!" theme before Sandow McMahon comes out. :pac:

I ****ing hate those "Please welcome back" promos before a return. **** off.

Shanedowwwww

On a similar note, that elbow off the titantron during himself and Show's Last Man Standing is such a bump. May watch that later actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

On a similar note, that elbow off the titantron during himself and Show's Last Man Standing is such a bump. May watch that later actually.

He was some man for the high spots in fairness. Remember when he fell 1,983 feet when Steve Blackman gave him a dose of the Kendo Stick across the back of the legs, when he climbed up a thingy (I don't know what the yoke he climbed was called!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    He was some man for the high spots in fairness. Remember when he fell 1,983 feet when Steve Blackman gave him a dose of the Kendo Stick across the back of the legs, when he climbed up a thingy (I don't know what the yoke he climbed was called!)

That number cant be right??

The street fight with Angle is one of my all time favourite WWE matches.

He was some man, the punishment and bumps he took for a non wrestler were just savage.

Infact I think ill go watch it now on the WWE Network, available for only $9.99

*gets coat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Did it against Kane too I think, but missed, also in a LMS match.

Considering the Eiffel Tower is 1,063 feet tall I pray to god it was turn of phrase.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    That number cant be right??

Considering the Eiffel Tower is 1,063 feet tall I pray to god it was turn of phrase.

Just a bit of creative licence lads! :P:P:P Ya know how the commentators tend to overestimate the height of structures! I think the fall was billed as 70 foot though

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    The street fight with Angle is one of my all time favourite WWE matches.

He was some man, the punishment and bumps he took for a non wrestler were just savage.

Infact I think ill go watch it now on the WWE Network, available for only $9.99

*gets coat

How much again?:P

How much again?:P

uKuBunO.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

The truss at the side of the stage.

Think it was about 50 feet up (same size as the Backlash stage where he did the same jump).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Are wrestlers allowed to use the title as a weapon anymore in WWE? I'm trying to remember the last time somehow got hit with a belt.

Has it been banned like chair shots to the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I ****ing hate those "Please welcome back" promos before a return. **** off.

Shanedowwwww

Same, just let the music hit and the crowd pop, stop ruining it for people.

http://www.bootydaddy.com/home7.htm

This is Scott Steiners website. No, really

Jesus, it looks like something from 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

Did the Miz just steal Hornswoggle's latest gimmick?

The Miz stealing someones gimmick?? Nah surely not :pac:

With talk of returns and today’s “Where are they now” on the WWE site being Simon Dean. Who from recent times and past would prick yours ears (and who would be up to it) in terms of coming back for one of WWE’s nostalgia episodes or even a bit of a run, much like Tatanka had a few years back.

Who do WWE really need to call at this stage? Generally have a bingo card of the same old crew of road agents and reliables. IRS, Arn Anderson, Hacksaw Jim, Ted Dibiase, Hogan, Slaughter, Michael Hayes Etc etc.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see John Morrison back.

If his mic skills have improved he could be a main event level wrestler imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement