Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Think Masters could be a decent addition if he made a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'd love to see John Morrison back.

If his mic skills have improved he could be a main event level wrestler imo.

John Morrison is a charisma vacuum.. The minute he opens his mouth any chance of being a Main Eventer goes out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

What happened with Shano Mac actually? He disappeared during one of the periods when I wasn't reading or watching about wrestling and I never got around to looking it up (yes I know I could do it now, but folks on here usually give a better account in retrospect with more info than looking back at stuff that was written at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Uncle Walt wrote: »
    John Morrison is a charisma vacuum.. The minute he opens his mouth any chance of being a Main Eventer goes out the window.
    If his mic skills have improved

Miss that part?

He specifically pursued a career in acting since leaving WWE to improve his mic skills.
    orestes wrote: »
    What happened with Shano Mac actually? He disappeared during one of the periods when I wasn't reading or watching about wrestling and I never got around to looking it up (yes I know I could do it now, but folks on here usually give a better account in retrospect with more info than looking back at stuff that was written at the time).

He has moved on to pursue business interests elsewhere.

I believe he's involved with China Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

http://www.bootydaddy.com/home7.htm

This is Scott Steiners website. No, really

Can't wait for his appearance in May 2010 in Canada!

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Miss that part?

He specifically pursued a career in acting since leaving WWE to improve his mic skills.

I think you missing my point there, The minute John Morrison opens his mouth and his prepubescent 14 year old voice speaks his chances of being a main eventer completely disappear. Also his "career in acting" doesn't mean a thing if the guy has no natural charisma.. Looks like Tarzan fights like Jane comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

orestes wrote: »

He likely sussed that he wouldn't have inherited WWE ahead of Triple H and Steph and he left. He owns a company in China where all PPVs pass through his company. Him and Vince didn't always see eye to eye. Their relationship is on better terms since his departure.

To be fair to JoMo was one of those wrestler that improved tenfold with every tweak he made to himself and his gimmick. The timing of his departure will always puzzle me. He had a huge following and was just on the cusp of breaking into the main event scene. One thing people always said was that his voice was weak which made his mic work a bit dodge. He reminded me of RVD super exciting in the ring and didn’t necessarily need to be a five star promo guy.

I always remember before him and Miz started to really shine (with the dirtsheet and all that jazz). Murmurs within the IWC was that WWE had them piped as the next Hunter and Shawn. I think everybody, myself included, across the board rubbish the claims. I remember when the duo changed it up at bit and caught a head of steam, Miz lost the pants and hat-Morrison uped the Rockstar stuff I stood back and went holy crap those reports weren’t utter bo**ock these boys have “IT”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Back in the day I was a fan of Shelton Benjamin. He had a lot going for him I thought. Then I stopped watching wrestling and as far as I can see he bleached his hair, had some sort of gimmick that involved his mother/grandmother/aunt and went downhill.

What's the actual story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Can't wait for his appearance in May 2010 in Canada!

To be fair, aren't websites pretty much redundant in this day and age of Twitter / Facebook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Shelton had a great run in ECW before it folded too. Always thought he'd make it bigger than he did, but he was void of charisma too.

He did have somewhat of an invigoration with the “Gold Standard” gimmick but in truth I was a bit of a dud. Nothing more than a new hairdo and a catchy name for him to tout every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Shelton had a great run in ECW before it folded too. Always thought he'd make it bigger than he did, but he was void of charisma too.

I kinda felt he, like a lot of the 'lost' generation (Carlito, JoMo et al), had a certain breed of the ineffable 'IT' factor, but suffered from WWE's rather stringent and uniform definition of how a marquee act should perform. I'm not even talking the chestnut of headline acts, but solid, reliable upper-midcard performers, instead of the wishy-washy, trading-wins placeholders they became.

I do think that the same philosophy is hindering Reigns, and it somewhat hampered Daniel Bryan, in expecting them to consistently carry a 10-minute monologue for reasons none other than that's just what main-eventers too; I think their talking strengths come out of being more reactive than instigative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I do think that the same philosophy is hindering Reigns, and it somewhat hampered Daniel Bryan, in expecting them to consistently carry a 10-minute monologue for reasons none other than that's just what main-eventers too; I think their talking strengths come out of being more reactive than instigative.

It does display WWE's inability to write for specific characters and know how to work around their limitations. Reigns is indeed a great example, with him doing the same promos everybody else does and it just sounds wrong. Not to mention the pretty dire state of the modern midcard with the likes of Kofi, Ziggler, Sandow, Rhodes etc. all being worse off than they were at stages in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

ShagNastii wrote: »
    With talk of returns and today’s “Where are they now” on the WWE site being Simon Dean. Who from recent times and past would prick yours ears (and who would be up to it) in terms of coming back for one of WWE’s nostalgia episodes or even a bit of a run, much like Tatanka had a few years back.

Who do WWE really need to call at this stage? Generally have a bingo card of the same old crew of road agents and reliables. IRS, Arn Anderson, Hacksaw Jim, Ted Dibiase, Hogan, Slaughter, Michael Hayes Etc etc.

I think Perry Saturn coming back for a run or even just one match would be an amazing personal achievement for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Back in the day I was a fan of Shelton Benjamin. He had a lot going for him I thought. Then I stopped watching wrestling and as far as I can see he bleached his hair, had some sort of gimmick that involved his mother/grandmother/aunt and went downhill.

What's the actual story there?

The grandmother stuff came towards the end of his run. When WWE give up on a wrestler they relegate them to the comedy rubbish bin much like Sandow, McIntyre et cetera.

Shelton wrestles in Japan for NJPW and is supposed to be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Shelton was a decent mid-carder but that's about it. Never saw him as a main event talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Shelton was a decent mid-carder but that's about it. Never saw him as a main event talent.

He did have some good matches and memorable spots in things like MITB, and a fantastic match with Shawn Michaels, might have been more than one actually I cant remember.

Shelton would be similar to Kofi imo.

Amazing athlete, did things that made you go 'holy ****', but he lacked the full package that makes you a top guy.

Speaking of Shelton i actually never understood why WWE didnt have Benjamin/Haas fued with La Resistance when they first debuted in 2003. Team Angle couldve easily turned face immediately against the then obviously heel arrogant French foreigners. Just seeemed so obvious.. And a massive massive waste.

• Advertisement

Shelton also had an awesome series of matches with Triple H, beating him in their first encounter, which was considered a massive upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just going through the WWE Superstars to see if Del Rio has been removed (he has) and I did not know Tensai is now Jason Albert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Shelton also had the performance issue of only Wrestling at or below the level he was pushed. He has had a very, very, very half hearted career in New Japan.

He is in this year's G-1 Tournament. He began wrestling his standard drag ass approach. Then went a string of wins, realised he was being pushed (G-1 outcomes at kept private from the Wrestlers until the night of the show) and started putting forward an actual effort. Kind of had a miracle match by his standards against Shibata last week:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22b2qi_g1-climax-a-block-katsuyori-shibata-vs-shelton-x-benjamin_sport

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just going through the WWE Superstars to see if Del Rio has been removed (he has) and I did not know Tensai is now Jason Albert

Just did some research to see what you were talking about. Did not know he was released. Seems like a bit of a waste, he was pushed very quickly and never really got anywhere with the fans, despite this WWE still shoved him down their throats. Still i'd be happy if I were him, one of the few Mexican wrestlers to win the WWE championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Carlito is the guy I'd most like to see back. Always thought he was fantastic. Even just before he left he was basically fed to Cena after cutting an excellent promo about how the locker room despised Cena and hoped he'd lose. Great speaker.

Loved Derrick Bateman too and think he's doing better than he has any right to with the EC3 character in TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Carlito is the guy I'd most like to see back.

After his speech at the HOF this year I don't think Vince would be welcoming him with open arms! :pac:

Loved Derrick Bateman too and think he's doing better than he has any right to with the EC3 character in TNA.

Absolutely. He seems to be getting more comfortable with every appearance.

I too was a Bateman fan, he seemed to have a lot going for him, and was genuinely funny. Don't follow TNA anymore though, so I've been missing out on his EC3 stuff

Him and Danielson together were great craic I thought.

• Advertisement

I too was a Bateman fan, he seemed to have a lot going for him, and was genuinely funny. Don't follow TNA anymore though, so I've been missing out on his EC3 stuff

Can't blame you at all for not watching TNA, but try and catch some EC3 stuff on YouTube from the last month or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement