Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I don't think Orton deserves the hate that he gets from the IWC, sure he is known for being a bit of asshole in real life but he is still a great performer in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I('d like to) think it's more the stale, uninspired booking, character and promos. He's the same guy heel or face and seems to be coasting on his (immense) talent for years now. He also spends the first 12 minutes of a match in a headlock and a flurry finish (what I like to call crescendo booking) and expect people to only remember the last few minutes. SummerSlam was a demon for this.

I'm not sure if the IWC have the same reasons but there you go. It's always worth mention that he's still an incredible performer, has been since at least 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I('d like to) think it's more the stale, uninspired booking, character and promos. He's the same guy heel or face and seems to be coasting on his (immense) talent for years now. He also spends the first 12 minutes of a match in a headlock and a flurry finish (what I like to call crescendo booking) and expect people to only remember the last few minutes. SummerSlam was a demon for this.

I'm not sure if the IWC have the same reasons but there you go. It's always worth mention that he's still an incredible performer, has been since at least 2009.

Definately went through the motions for a little while, so to speak. However, around about the time he took the WHC from Christian (while Smackdown exclusive), was the time he kicked it up several notches in ring. Always been uber talented in the ring though. Just hasn't always utilised this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I still think his match with Foley in 2004 is arguably his career best.

I think his best work was with Undertaker back in 2005 when he was on Smackdown, it was a feud that saved his career after his terrible run as a babyface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Exactly, I was a big fan of his around 2007 or so when he really upped his game and was working with Edge, then he just kinda coasted along the last few years. He has some brilliant moments in matches but they can be so dull as well. Like you said Summerslam, the RKO was absolutely brilliant but everything up until that was a snorefest.
    There's nothing wrong with a heel character who wears down an opponent, heels are supposed to control the pace of the match after all, but jesus do something other than rest holds. At this stage I look forward to Orton matches only when he's not in 1 on 1 type affairs, get him in the ring, intense few mins, tag him out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

His slowed down stuff works for me when he's a heel (and he's one of those who should only ever be a heel...like an anti-Cena, he can work as a cool heel who gets face reactions when needed, but he has his character down and should stay that way). He's a traditional heel in that he bores the crowd into submission and, when working against a hot babyface, that really works when it gets to crunch time.

His match against Reigns was a great example: we thought it was a disaster until Reigns fired up and then Reigns looked fantastic when he did after being juxtaposed with the slower moments minutes beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Orton is a stale as Cena is, he's been stale for about 4 years now(Maybe even more) and at this point is just unbearable to watch when he's not wrestling, and even then his matches can really drag as well. His promo work doesn't do him any justice either, so bland and monotone, would put anyone to sleep if he had to cut a long promo, his character is pretty bland too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Orton is very good and just suffers for longevity and the natural over exposure that comes with WWE having so much TV each week, no real competition.

He could tey to re-invent his persona but they will never get him to do that as what he does suits him so well its probably not worth the risk to them.

When booked well he is someone that can he a big asset in a feud like the one with Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I know people think Reigns isn't ready for the belt yet, but I have to say, when he gets on a roll in the ring I think he's super to watch. Sheamus gave him the hot tag last night and the place went nuts. I think if he's booked right he could be a believed to be a legitimate threat to Brock Lesnar. He's got the size, he's got the power...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Brendaõ wrote: »
    I know people think Reigns isn't ready for the belt yet, but I have to say, when he gets on a roll in the ring I think he's super to watch. Sheamus gave him the hot tag last night and the place went nuts. I think if he's booked right he could be a believed to be a legitimate threat to Brock Lesnar. He's got the size, he's got the power...

This is the thing with him. In The Shield he got the hot tag, did his apron dropkick, superman punch and spear and the crowd pops. That doesn't really mean he's ready for the number 1 spot to supercede John Cena.

He could be booked as a strong contender sure but that doesn't guarantee he could have a good match that would work the crowd to get the desired reactions. The Triple H and Undertaker matches Brock had show that when he has to work a (somewhat) commetative match that he's not that good. Squash matches he's fine in of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Being in so many tag matches is masking his weaknesses I suppose. I think he has it in him to be a main evener though. If Brock still has the belts by the Rumble, (and he should imo) then I wouldn't mind seeing him v Reigns at Mania. Plenty of time between then and now for Reigns to up his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd rather see Reigns work with the Rock at Mania.

Whether its a 1v1 match or a tag match.

Leave Daniel Bryan for Lesnar or maybe even Ambrose to take Lesnar on if he can keep up his momentum and with a good enough build.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think having Lesnar part time will be a good thing. Means people don't just come out and say they're gonna face him for title and get a title shot. Maybe in between his appearances, they can actually build someone up to earn a title shot.

Of course, that's unlikely to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think having Lesnar part time will be a good thing. Means people don't just come out and say they're gonna face him for title and get a title shot. Maybe in between his appearances, they can actually build someone up to earn a title shot.

Of course, that's unlikely to happen

I'd prefer him being kept as an actual attraction. Go back to the days of having the upper mid card feuding for no 1 contender spots and the like. Would make for interesting matchups and not the same bunch of guys in the title scene all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dean Ambrose is better than Daniel Bryan.

Over the past couple of weeks I've had my projections for how Ambrose will do swayed by a few things. The first thing that struck me was a guy who hasn't watched in years outright saying Ambrose is the best thing he's seen since Austin after watching a few minutes of him doing meaningless stuff on SmackDown. He cited the legitimacy and believability of his work as the reasons why and he immediately grabbed him. I know we're all Ambrose fans, but sometimes we let how long we've watched get us out of touch with the view of the common man, and it was only through my mate's eyes that I saw how appealing and different Ambrose is to a casual fan. That's big. Like...really, really big.

I've spoken on here and on balls.ie before about how Reigns reminds me of Orton in 2004: great raw potential but maybe still too young and inexperienced to last the course from SummerSlam to Mania. Could we see Ambrose, then, being the Batista who comes in with sheer momentum and nicks Reigns' big push? I don't see it right now but then I didn't see it coming at this stage in '04 either (and I was a HUGE Batista mark BITD).

Over the past couple of weeks I've had my projections for how Ambrose will do swayed by a few things. The first thing that struck me was a guy who hasn't watched in years outright saying Ambrose is the best thing he's seen since Austin after watching a few minutes of him doing meaningless stuff on SmackDown. He cited the legitimacy and believability of his work as the reasons why and he immediately grabbed him. I know we're all Ambrose fans, but sometimes we let how long we've watched get us out of touch with the view of the common man, and it was only through my mate's eyes that I saw how appealing and different Ambrose is to a casual fan. That's big. Like...really, really big.

I've spoken on here and on balls.ie before about how Reigns reminds me of Orton in 2004: great raw potential but maybe still too young and inexperienced to last the course from SummerSlam to Mania. Could we see Ambrose, then, being the Batista who comes in with sheer momentum and nicks Reigns' big push? I don't see it right now but then I didn't see it coming at this stage in '04 either (and I was a HUGE Batista mark BITD).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I've been listening to the Attitude Era podcast recently (well worth a listen) and they did a review of the Wrestlemania 15 Rage Party.. I'd never seen it so decided to check it out. Have a look below. It's simply bizarre !

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PDL6iuBlzMY

I would like to see Ronda Rousey face a Diva in a match at a WrestleMania or Summerslam in future. I don't know if they can legally do it, unless WWE and UFC work out some sort of partnership.

I think only downside is that do you let outsider win the match or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I'd imagine when Ronda retires from UFC (undefeated) she'd move over to WWE in some capacity. She's a big fan and would probably jump at the chance to join the roster or maybe even the performance center as a trainer.

I think she'll go the way of Gina Carano and do a couple of movies, and when she's established/simmers down, then go to wrestling. WWE are very smart to try snag her before she gets too big! Love Ronda, hope she's involved onscreen in WWE in some capacity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Becky Lynch has a brown belt in Submission Wrestling and knows the SBG lads. Rousey has no chance.

You and Becky is like WWE and 9.99!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd rather see her in the celebrity spot at WM than a non fighter.
    But I can't really think of anyone they could use. Maybe a feud with Steph?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Jericho has her scouted too.

ARMBAR!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

You and Becky is like WWE and 9.99!!

Seriously Becky and Nattie would be the only two who could work a shoot style match.

Personally I think WWE would/should do an Andy Kaufman thing with Ronda and The Miz. Miz can get on mainstream talk shows/media in his own right.

She would defiantly be a special attraction for big 4 PPV's similar to Lesnar unless she is fine with travelling on the road +300 dates a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭CSF

mxph3 wrote: »
    She would defiantly be a special attraction for big 4 PPV's similar to Lesnar unless she is fine with travelling on the road +300 dates a year.

Really for these guys, talking about 300 dates a year as them being full time isn't necessary. 64 dates is plenty for them to have a huge impact. Raws and PPVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You know when the wrestlers go into the crowd or brawl around ringside and you see the fans with their phones out recording them? Yeah, I wanna punch those fans hard into their mushes. Watch the show you sad clowns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement