Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Not unless his ego shrinks.

Yeah I get that impression that he rates himself from what I read about him . Just somewhat surprised he hasn't had a reprise as yet . Don't get me wrong it'd probably be appalling but for a one off there'd be a bit of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭HeathenWolf

Pentecost wrote: »
    Yeah I get that impression that he rates himself from what I read about him . Just somewhat surprised he hasn't had a reprise as yet . Don't get me wrong it'd probably be appalling but for a one off there'd be a bit of interest.

I think the WWE is cautious about resigning Bill because they know what he's like. Plus he's 47 and hasn't been in a ring in 10 years, the last thing the WWE wants to be doing right now is wasting time pursuing former superstars whose only purpose would be getting paraded around for the nostalgic fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I can not see Goldberg agreeing to come out of retirement just to lose. He'd want to win which would make it a waste of time for WWE. Plus, who the hell would he face? I can't think of anyone I'd want to see him against, and even less that I would want to see him beating.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I can not see Goldberg agreeing to come out of retirement just to lose. He'd want to win which would make it a waste of time for WWE.

Exactly. Not to mention his high salary demands. That's why WWE is cautious about signing him again, they don't need a part-time performer who expects higher pay and would refuse to job to anyone. Bill was so used to having things handed to him on a plate in WCW.
    Plus, who the hell would he face? I can't think of anyone I'd want to see him against, and even less that I would want to see him beating.

If Ryback hadn't turned into such a horrible performer, they would have had him go against Goldberg (a match-up that they teased back when Ryback looked promising).
    I was thinking Goldberg vs. Sting for the more nostalgic fans but it obviously wouldn't be anything special and as far as I know, Sting will only ever wrestle one match in the WWE which will more than likely be against Undertaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

as far as I know, Sting will only ever wrestle one match in the WWE which will more than likely be against Undertaker.

And it will be utterly dreadful.
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Matt Hardy thinks Tajiri weighs too much to be a cruiserweight.

What's your favourite mattitude fact?

Matt Hardy probably weighs too much to be a super-heavyweight (especially if the chips on his shoulders are measured).

• Advertisement

And it will be utterly dreadful.

It will be more dreadful than any of the Ultimate Warrior/Papa Shango matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I don't think the actual in-ring action matters that much when Sting wrestles tbh.

Hogan/Rock at WM18 purely from an in-ring analysis sucked. But did it matter? Not one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Cena vs Goldberg is a match i'd like to see, As much crap as Cena gets he's the only true megastar in the company that i'd like to see wheeled out for these marquee matchs

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I wouldn't risk putting any of my performers in the ring with Goldberg.

I wouldn't have any concerns about Goldberg from a stamina pov. He still works out like a madman and looks good.

But 10 years+ of ring rust, coupled with the fact that he wasn't all that great to begin with, is a disaster waiting to happen.

Plus he'll want a massive payday and WWE will likely feel he won't be worth the money he'd look for. And they'd be right.

They have Sting, Flair and Hogan to plug the Network, they don't need anymore WcW stars.

That being said, i'm looking forward to watching the episodes of Nitro when Goldberg started to rise up and tear through everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Palo Alto wrote: »
    I wouldn't risk putting any of my performers in the ring with Goldberg.

I'd happily let a sloppy Lesnar in the ring with a sloppy Goldberg and let them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I don't think the actual in-ring action matters that much when Sting wrestles tbh.

Hogan/Rock at WM18 purely from an in-ring analysis sucked. But did it matter? Not one bit.

I'd judge Taker/Sting differently to Hogan/Rock. Hogan and Rock are people who feed off crowd reactions and act accordingly, that's why the match clicked as it did. With them (and Cena to a degree) it doesn't really matter what they do or if it fits into a coherent, in-ring story, they just do whatever it takes to get the crowd where they need them to be. If they were musicians they'd be One Direction or Calvin Harris: broad, obvious strokes designed for mass consumption. That's not an insult either, they're spectacularly good at it and it gets the required reaction almost always without fail.

Taker likes to wrestle, though. That's why you saw him work Triple H, Shawn Michaels and CM Punk in recent years, and why it didn't really work when he wasn't working a technician in Brock Lesnar this year. His spots are quite bunchy and complex: catch a leapfrog in the corner, bump off the turnbuckle and feed around into a big boot/arm wrench, climb the top rope then come off with a fist to the back. As great as his character was, it's the fact that he can ****ing go in the ring that gave him that long-term lasting power.

That's why I think the Sting match would be the ****s and why I'd say Taker would be hesitant to do it. Sting probably belongs more to the former camp than the latter. He's an 80's wrestler with a 90's gimmick and it's the year 2014. There's nothing for Taker to gain for what must be a mammoth effort now to get himself in ring shape for one match a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd happily let a sloppy Lesnar in the ring with a sloppy Goldberg and let them go.

That was the one match at WrestleMania XX I was dying to see. I swear to god I pulled an all nighter with college the next day just to watch it and all I got to see was 2 big dopes just running into each other. Had a great build up and they had just the right amount of contact/interaction with each other and were both carrying a killer aura too. Grrrrrr, it still burns :mad:

I love that match. It's ****ing hilarious. I fully expected both guys to get booed out of the building.

It's the best bad match of all time. Pure comedy.

I love that match. It's ****ing hilarious. I fully expected both guys to get booed out of the building.

Having Stone Cold stun them both was WWE's way of saying "**** you both for leaving"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Omackeral wrote: »
    That was the one match at WrestleMania XX I was dying to see. I swear to god I pulled an all nighter with college the next day just to watch it and all I got to see was 2 big dopes just running into each other. Had a great build up and they had just the right amount of contact/interaction with each other and were both carrying a killer aura too. Grrrrrr, it still burns :mad:

Yep, this is why I don't like Lesnar and Goldberg. After all that hype, after all the excitement put into it, and the fans must have been looking forward to a spectacle like this, and Lesnar and Goldberg just blow it off and say "f*ck it, we're leaving we don't need to do sh*t". Two unprofessional wrestlers have no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They even put it in WWE 14, and both men get booed.

I understand why people were let down, but I expected what happened to happen, so I just found the whole thing hilarious. Absolute train wreck.

I wasn't a card-carrying IWC mark then so I had no idea what was going on!

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yep, this is why I don't like Lesnar and Goldberg. After all that hype, after all the excitement put into it, and the fans must have been looking forward to a spectacle like this, and Lesnar and Goldberg just blow it off and say "f*ck it, we're leaving we don't need to do sh*t". Two unprofessional wrestlers have no respect.

I dunno if I'd view it that way, the crowd were going to boo everything they did no matter what. The problem was there was only one ring general in the ring capable of changing things up on the fly to make the match work...and that was the ref. Austin is very respectful of other wrestlers space, too, so while in theory it could've been possible that he called the match for them (I've done the same as a ref before, it's not unheard of), the likes of Goldberg mightn't have taken that well. He's not going to admit he's out of his depth while collecting a bigger payday than 90% of the rest of the card, is he?

So they ran through the motions of the match as planned, which relied on moments where the crowd were supposed to say "oooohhh" and so on, then when they didn't it looked pathetic. Their agent for the night also let them down by not anticipating the crowd reaction...they were in the Garden for chrissakes there's a 40% chance that any match there will get booed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Just thinking of who has music that really suits their character Brock Lesnar is one just straight music heavy drums think it's just perfect no messing around like Brock himself.

Anyone else that has music that really matches their character or music that dosnt?

The Ascension

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Most of the music given to guys really suits their characters. Think Randy Orton and his Voices song. Cena and his Rap tune. Taker and the Funeral March. They all match the characters. There are very few I can think of with Music that doesn't match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Most of the music given to guys really suits their characters. Think Randy Orton and his Voices song. Cena and his Rap tune. Taker and the Funeral March. They all match the characters. There are very few I can think of with Music that doesn't match

Aye, some get the absolute bums steer though on theme songs. Cesaro for example has been given horrendous themes and I'm convinced it's a handicap on such guys.

Then you have the likes of Maven and McIntyre who imo, are ****, yet were given fine themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Can you explain the Randy Orton hearing voices? Since when does he kayfabe hear voices! Surely those lyrics would be more suited to Kane, who sets people on fire, electrocutes testicles, May 19th, changes character every couple of months...

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Can you explain the Randy Orton hearing voices? Since when does he kayfabe hear voices! Surely those lyrics would be more suited to Kane, who sets people on fire, electrocutes testicles, May 19th, changes character every couple of months...

Suited him when he was punting people for the craic. Remember he used to 'switch'? I really liked that character thinking back, playing on psychotic breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That was kayfabe explained as intermittent explosive disorder (an anger issue), not schizophrenia! He doesn't actually hear voices!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I would assume he was referring to this

although it wasn't literally hearing voices in his head

edit: too slow with my post but the vid fits the conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

Then you have the likes of Maven and McIntyre who imo, are ****, yet were given fine themes.
    Woah, now. Drew is a fine wrestler. Don't be saying things you can't take back.

Also, as much as I liked Broken Dreams as a song, it wasn't a great entrance theme. Twas a bit of a mood-killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Exactly as stated above jayk, he was supposedly hearing voices when he was punting heads left right and centre. Remember Randy was famously given This Fire Burns by Killswitch Engage before CM Punk... That definately didn't suit Randy's style, slow methodical demeanor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement