Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    he was supposedly hearing voices when he was punting heads left right and centre

Not literally, though! His character doesn't literally hear voices - he just gets violently angry. I don't know why Cole et al. commentate suggesting he does. Perhaps if they extended the metaphor that it's like he has a devil and angel on his shoulders. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Aye, it should be more a red rag to a bull kind of thing than paranoid schizophrenic allusions.

Pair him with Los Matadors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Clemantis wrote: »
    Woah, now. Drew is a fine wrestler. Don't be saying things you can't take back.

Yep Drew is really good had a great match with Roddy Strong on last night's Evolve show WWE really dropped the ball on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I never saw what was special about McIntyre, he had certain mileage as a heel but he was a charisma black hole. No potential as even a top heel nevermind a top face.

I can't get my head around what Vinnie Mc saw in him that he gave him a personal endorsement as a "chosen one".

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Is a DDT a good move to use in a street fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Aye, some get the absolute bums steer though on theme songs. Cesaro for example has been given horrendous themes and I'm convinced it's a handicap on such guys.

Then you have the likes of Maven and McIntyre who imo, are ****, yet were given fine themes.

Not sure about Drew as I rated him, but spot on with Maven.

You know who was ****e, but who had a cracking theme? Test. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It wouldn't have the effectiveness of let's say a People's elbow or Worm but I'd guess smashing somebody crown first onto concrete would be an OK to middling move to use in a street fight #donttrythisathome

I never saw what was special about McIntyre, he had certain mileage as a heel but he was a charisma black hole. No potential as even a top heel nevermind a top face.

I can't get my head around what Vinnie Mc saw in him that he gave him a personal endorsement as a "chosen one".

This is how I see Neville. Obviously his spots are incredible but not sure that'll be enough, he is a minus hole of craic on the mic.

He had better be a bump machine too like Rollins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

He cuts a really good promo 9 minutes into this video from Saturday's Evolve show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You'd be putting the other person's life at risk if you pulled them head/neck-first onto concrete, so from that point of view you could end up facing years in prison.

If you screw it up and fail to incapacitate the other fighter, you'll probably be giving them a great advantage by exposing yourself to a full mount (a very vulnerable position and one which is difficult enough to get out of without a bit of jujitsu training). You'll end up on your back either way, and that makes it even harder to get yourself away from the fight.

All in all, I'd say it'd be a stupid move to make in a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I never saw what was special about McIntyre, he had certain mileage as a heel but he was a charisma black hole.

He's got plenty if they just let him be proper Scottish. Never happening on American TV though is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I thought Foley (on Austin's show) and Drew himself summed up his tenure in WWE perfectly: he was a guy who was good for his midcard spot but seemed a bit too settled, he did what was asked of him but what hurt him was more what you didn't see than what you did. I love Drew's work, have done since he first wrestled for Irish Whip, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who criticised him having only seen him in WWE. I think with hindsight, when he's put things right (and he's already well on his way to doing so), he'll agree he didn't give his best account of himself during his time there. That's both his and WWE's fault. And I think his release, in time, will probably be the best thing that ever happened to him.

However on his day and when motivated, Drew is one of the best in the world. Nobody in the UK or Ireland that I encountered (and we had everyone through our door back in the day) was even close to him in terms of being the total package. I was in the ring with them for every big Drew/Sheamus match they had here and there was a notable gap in quality there, keeping in mind that Sheamus was no slouch himself even back then. His promos are excellent, his in-ring work is crisp as you like and he can work any kind of match asked of him. Not to mention he's a total pro and hasn't a hint of attitude problems. One of those guys who doesn't get bitter, just gets better. He'll set the record straight before he's done

Drew was far from inspiring during his run as "The Chosen One" and even more so with the pile of crap OMB gimmick. But the time he stood up and was booked in the Elimination Chamber he looked a million dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

An File wrote: »
    You'd be putting the other person's life at risk if you pulled them head/neck-first onto concrete, so from that point of view you could end up facing years in prison.

If you screw it up and fail to incapacitate the other fighter, you'll probably be giving them a great advantage by exposing yourself to a full mount (a very vulnerable position and one which is difficult enough to get out of without a bit of jujitsu training). You'll end up on your back either way, and that makes it even harder to get yourself away from the fight.

All in all, I'd say it'd be a stupid move to make in a fight.

Yes I agree.Most of the moves you see would not seem to work in a street fight.But then you look at MMAs Conor McGregor and he can wrestle a man on the ground and its a different type to the stuff you see Hulk Hogan do.I think Krav Maga or MMA is best in a street fight.For example a boxer may be able to KO you with a punch but what if you grapple him to the ground,His boxing is then useless.Same with wrestling moves some could kill you but in most cases it is not actually real.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He's never turning heel until someone else comes along that can draw like he can.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2193415-paul-heyman-is-the-last-best-effort-at-turning-john-cena-heel

interesting read and kinda my view point

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Drew McIntyre's single leg lariat/heel kick was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I often feel bad for the new Sin Cara, he seems like a good enough worker but the character is forever tarnished by it's previous incarnation.

I suppose the old Sin Cara not leaving amicably prevented him from being presented as a successor and worked into the story?

Worse still, wasn't there some kind of angle over there being 2 of him a while back? (Before I started watching again.) Maybe that could've been nodded to in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I often feel bad for the new Sin Cara, he seems like a good enough worker but the character is forever tarnished by it's previous incarnation.

I suppose the old Sin Cara not leaving amicably prevented him from being presented as a successor and worked into the story?

Worse still, wasn't there some kind of angle over there being 2 of him a while back? (Before I started watching again.) Maybe that could've been nodded to in some way?

He's just won the NXT Tag Titles with Kalisto as one half of the Lucha Dragons so it's not all bad. Much better than what Hunico was doing anyway. Fresh start essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I feel bad for Hunico, but hopefully he can revive the character. The original guy was a total waster, who had no interest in progression - he didn't even try to learn English after all. I used to be delighted to see him paired up against Alberto Del Rio, cos you just knew that ADR was gonna pound him like a drum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I was watching clips of RVD, the hardys, well people with top rope finishers. Well I always thought that the amount of time that someone is on the mat waiting to get hit they would have been pinned twice in the amount of time it takes for someone to get up on the turnbuckle and land the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I was watching clips of RVD, the hardys, well people with top rope finishers. Well I always thought that the amount of time that someone is on the mat waiting to get hit they would have been pinned twice in the amount of time it takes for someone to get up on the turnbuckle and land the move.

Maybe they're just resting due to nobody covering them and more than capable of kicking out. Then get into such a deep rest that they forget about what the opponent is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And they get more comfortable by moving slightly which turns out to be more convenient for the person coming from the top

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Would Jake the Snake Roberts make a good foil for Paul Heyman? I read that the snake has lost nearly 80lbs in weight with the illness and all. Thankfully he says his in-ring days are over. Would be great to see him take some kinda outside ring role which would have him in front of the crowds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Would Jake the Snake Roberts make a good foil for Paul Heyman? I read that the snake has lost nearly 80lbs in weight with the illness and all. Thankfully he says his in-ring days are over. Would be great to see him take some kinda outside ring role which would have him in front of the crowds again.

it would be great to see him do something but it's a while off yet now he has cancer again

There are so many what “could have been”s when it comes to rumoured angles/storylines in wrestling. One I’m really gutted we never got to see was William Regal in world title contention.

When he won the KOTR tournament on Raw all the news sites were reporting he was pencilled in for a massive push into the main event. Then boom, strike two for Regal on the Wellness policy and it all went up in smoke. Could have been very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I love Regal, but dunno if it would've worked. He says himself he's not a great TV wrestler. I think having him in the main event would've ended in a lot of unfair scrutiny and criticism as a result, whereas he did just fine in his career and has a job for life. He was better as the really talented guy just underneath the main event than top dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think he lacked in ring charisma. Technically good but lacking in other areas imo.

That promo he did to HHH to 2004 was something though. Real gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I too like Regal, but it's like he came along too late. Imagine the classics he could have had against the likes of Bret Hart if he had have been in the WWF in the Late 80s / Early 90s instead of toiling away in WCW

Regal could easily have had a run as good as JBL's as a main eventer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

Omackeral wrote: »
    Drew McIntyre's single leg lariat/heel kick was a thing of beauty.
    I winced watching him nearly take Ryback's head off with that kick in a 3 on 1 match they had on RAW.

The thing that stood out to for me about McIntyre was how he would evilly and creatively use the ring as a weapon early on in his career, pulling people into the apron bars, stomping Matt Hardy's head on the steel steps, and all manner of nefarious machinations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement