Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is he still signed to WWE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Someone went through old Observers to find WCW salary info from '98-'99:
    - Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Eddie Guerrero got new contracts around January of 1999, reported as three years for $1,350,000 ($400,000, $450,000, $500,000) apiece.

- Mikey Whipwreck and Hak (The Sandman) were initally reported as being in the $130,000 to $200,000 per year range. Hak's deal was later confirmed as $245,000 per year for three years, but WCW used a 90 day out cycle to release him in October 1999 when cost cutting was implemented and mass releases, including Whipwreck, and renegotiations of existing deals took place.

- Warrior wanted $2,500,000 per year in 1995 when WCW approached him. That money was considered outrageous and was a motivation for creating The Renegade gimmick with the guy getting a more reasonable $150,000 per year.

- Davey Boy Smith was making $400,000 per year when cut in April of 1999.

- Rick Rude, who had been working for the WWF and ECW without a contract, jumped to WCW in November of 1997 for $300,000 per year for three years from November 1997. He made $315,000 per year in his 1991-1994 stint.

- Goldberg was making $800,000 per year in the spring of 1999 as renegotiations occurred. I think he wound up getting something in the $3,000,000 or more per year range.

- Shane Douglas wanted $350,000 from the WWF but was told "no way". I'd forgotten they even talked given his bitter departure in late 1995. It wasn't made clear what WCW gave him.

- Scott Hall made $30,000 per week in mid 1999 which adds up to $1,600,000 per year, but WCW cut his pay by 50% during his lengthy spell on the shelf that year.

- WCW offered Chris Jericho between $425,000 and $500,000 to stay, but he turned them down figuring his WWF downside would be lower, but he'd make more with a push there that WCW wouldn't give him.

- It was written that Swoll got a one year deal for $400,000 in mid 1999. Fellow No Limit Soldiers Chase Tatum and Tank also got one year deals for undisclosed terms. All were said to have been eventually released.

- $900,000 for Karl Malone, $1,000,000 for Jay Leno, $2,250,000 for Dennis Rodman, $3,500,000 for Mike Tyson, and $200,000 per Nitro appearance for Master P. The Master P thing seems a lot crazier until you count up that he made maybe half a dozen appearances. Then his pay is still dumb, but more in line with the other celebrities.

- Jesse Ventura got $350,000 per year from WCW from 1992-1994.

- Lanny Poffo was getting $75,000 and wasn't even being used by WCW.

- KISS got $500,000 to play two songs on Nitro when The Demon debuted plus additional money for the wrestler's gimmick.

- WCW paid Raven $275,000 per year.

- Tazz wanted a $450,000 downside from the WWF, while it proposed $200,000. WCW offered more, but he went with the WWF after worrying about not getting pushed in WCW.

- Scott Norton got $800,000 per year before his deal either ran out in the fall of 1999 or he was flat out cut via a 90 day out cycle.

- Vampiro was getting $350,000 per year, but the contract had 90 day out cycles that WCW executed. WCW wanted him to take $175,000 in a new deal in October 1999, later increased to $200,000 per year with the chance to make money on outside merch, and a promise see about getting some extra money to him after the crisis ended.

- Wrath had $350,000 per year until November 1999 when a 90 day review cycle was used to renegotiate him downward.

- Stevie Ray got $750,000 per year until November 1999 when a 90 day review cycle was used to renegotiate him downward.

- Alicia Webb got $60,000 as of November 1999 to valet for The Maestro.

- DDP was getting $1,300,000 as of November of 1999 with two and a half years to go. Apparently with WCW approval, since it wanted to get salaries off the books, he used his contacts with Big Show and Big Bossman to see about WWF interest. The interest was there, but not at a guarantee for that kind of money, so he stayed put.

- Tank Abbott was getting $300,000 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

There's always been something very objectionable about Mark Calloway the man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There's always been something very objectionable about Mark Calloway the man.

Couldn't you say that about a lot of stars though?
    HBK before he found God.
    Steve Austin.
    Randy Orton.
    CM Punk also seems like a right prick.
    Brock Lesnar.
    Less said about Benoit the better.
    List goes on, and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Necrominus wrote: »
    Couldn't you say that about a lot of stars though?
    HBK before he found God.
    Steve Austin.
    Randy Orton.
    CM Punk also seems like a right prick.
    Brock Lesnar.
    Less said about Benoit the better.
    List goes on, and on...

I don't disagree. Hogan comes to mind instantly. HHH is fairly vile too (though he's somehow managed to rehab his reputation somewhat). That the list goes on and on is no reason for us not to pass the time of day making note of these things on internet forums. Though personally I'd be vastly more forgiving of those who are only guilty of being a bit tosserish (Punk for example) than the likes of Austin or Benoit (who you know, committed acts of violence against people who couldn't really fight back to any meaningful degree) or Undertaker (I'd like to see him come back and pair up with Rusev as Putin's views on homosexuality could provide the perfect background for a team-up).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't disagree. Hogan comes to mind instantly. HHH is fairly vile too (though he's somehow managed to rehab his reputation somewhat). That the list goes on and on is no reason for us not to pass the time of day making note of these things on internet forums. Though personally I'd be vastly more forgiving of those who are only guilty of being a bit tosserish (Punk for example) than the likes of Austin or Benoit (who you know, committed acts of violence against people who couldn't really fight back to any meaningful degree) or Undertaker (I'd like to see him come back and pair up with Rusev as Putin's views on homosexuality could provide the perfect background for a team-up).

Some are vastly more forgiveable than the rest but honestly, is it just Kanyons hearsay that Taker made these remarks or is it actually proven fact? I'm genuinely asking as it would be easy to see how Taker may simply be targeted because of his stature in the locker room, and the fact that Kanyon never amounted to much in WWE.
    If it's true it is pretty unforgiveable don't get me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Stevie Ray on $750,000 in 1999. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

CSF wrote: »
    I honestly think it completely tarnishes Taker's legacy.

No it won't. What happens behind the scenes is rarely a factor in a wrestler's legacy. Undertaker will always been remembered for his work in WWE, and the impact that he had. The whole thing with Kanyon will be swept under the rug because not many people really know about the story anyway. To the casual fans who don't really keep up with wrestling behind scene etc, it would be relatively unknown, and WWE will never tarnish his reputation either by putting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,170 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Riddle101 wrote: »
    No it won't. What happens behind the scenes is rarely a factor in a wrestler's legacy. Undertaker will always been remembered for his work in WWE, and the impact that he had. The whole thing with Kanyon will be swept under the rug because not many people really know about the story anyway. To the casual fans who don't really keep up with wrestling behind scene etc, it would be relatively unknown, and WWE will never tarnish his reputation either by putting it out.

Clearly I mean to those who know better. It's a difficult enough thing to ignore imo

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ambrose/Austin could be a million times better then Punk/Austin.

Maybe the best thing that happened was Punk retiring and someone else having a chance to break out with Austin.

Of course this is all depending on Austin returning for that one more match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Ambrose/Austin could be a million times better then Punk/Austin.

Maybe the best thing that happened was Punk retiring and someone else having a chance to break out with Austin.

Of course this is all depending on Austin returning for that one more match.

Agreed, if Austin comes back he should help elevate a wrestler to the main event. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a huge Ambrose mark but I would like to see Ambrose get the to wrestle Austin and be put over at Wrestlmania.

Sadly, the most the likely case is Austin Vs Cena or something, because you know Cena will want to wrestle Austin, and WWE would go with that scenario because it's a money match.
    Clearly I mean to those who know better. It's a difficult enough thing to ignore imo

I dunno, I still think his legacy will stay in tact. I don't condone what he may have done, but for the most part it hasn't changed my perception of him.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I dunno, I still think his legacy will stay in tact. I don't condone what he may have done, but for the most part it hasn't changed my perception of him.

I think your opinion is far from uncommon but it still worries me, it's such a huge thing to ignore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CSF wrote: »
    I think your opinion is far from uncommon but it still worries me, it's such a huge thing to ignore.

It was one incident in a 24 year career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ambrose vs HHH at WM31.

Special enforcer Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ambrose vs HHH at WM31.

Special enforcer Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Book it.

Too late to put any thought/research into backing this up, but a friend told me Austin has refereed more WrestleMania matches than wrestled in them (may just apply to main events but there's some stat there). If he's gonna come back I'd prefer him to either do a one-off cameo for fun like at Mania or do it right, refereeing would feel such a cop-out after so long away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

leggo wrote: »
    Too late to put any thought/research into backing this up, but a friend told me Austin has refereed more WrestleMania matches than wrestled in them (may just apply to main events but there's some stat there). If he's gonna come back I'd prefer him to either do a one-off cameo for fun like at Mania or do it right, refereeing would feel such a cop-out after so long away.

He wrestled a total of 6 manias, 13,14,15,17,17,19. From what I remember he was ref for 3, Brock v Goldberg, umaga v lashley, jr v cole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sirsok wrote: »
    He wrestled a total of 6 manias, 13,14,15,17,17,19. From what I remember he was ref for 3, Brock v Goldberg, umaga v lashley, jr v cole.

He also fought at Wrestlemania 12 vs Savio Vega. His first mania ever, although not a main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

leggo wrote: »

It's not even remotely a stat. Come on!

An File wrote: »
    It was one incident in a 24 year career.

It's also an incident which reveals him to have been a homophobic bully.

Bayley reminds me of juice from sons of anarchy .

Also charlottes music drives me crazy, I hate it so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Nearly as much as her crack-whore wink!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Haha okay obviously I got mixed up, it was written while deliriously waiting for the McGregor fight. I'll find out what the real stat is and get back with it. (Though technically he's reffed as many as he main evented - 14, 15 and 17...maybe that's it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sirsok wrote: »
    Bayley reminds me of juice from sons of anarchy

HA HA HA! Amazing. Please expand on this analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Looking at those numbers, Austin would have a claim to being the real Mr. Wrestlemania. The 18 match wasnt up to much but the rest were all really good at best I can recall. Even the Savio Vega match was enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Looking at those numbers, Austin would have a claim to being the real Mr. Wrestlemania. The 18 match wasnt up to much but the rest were all really good at best I can recall. Even the Savio Vega match was enjoyable.

Even the 18 match, as inconsequential as it felt, had one of the greatest SC Stunner sells ever.

stone-cold-steve-austin-stone-cold-stunner.gif

jaykhunter wrote: »
    HA HA HA! Amazing. Please expand on this analogy

I dunno there is something similar in the face between juice and bayley, plus they are both just sweet hearts....

Post Wrestlemania I would like to see Ambrose recruit Itami, Bálor & Steen (Whatever name he has then) to help him take on whoever he is at war with.

Post Wrestlemania I would like to see Ambrose recruit Itami, Bálor & Steen (Whatever name he has then) to help him take on whoever he is at war with.

Would I be upset about a new Shield? Hell no!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

While it could be cool to see them together I don't see how that would make any sense.

Ambrose doesn't ask for help.

• Advertisement

While it could be cool to see them together I don't see how that would make any sense.

Ambrose doesn't ask for help.

Recruiting them to fight a war is a bit different to asking for help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement