Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

DM_7 wrote: »
    To make a big deal of the Network I want the Rock to turn up as part of team Cena at Survivor Series.

Could lead to Rock v Triple H at Mania (as teased on Smackdown 15 anniversary)

Now, that would be class!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

To make a big deal of the Network I want the Rock to turn up as part of team Cena at Survivor Series.

Could lead to Rock v Triple H at Mania (as teased on Smackdown 15 anniversary)

Never Before, Never Again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Never Before, Never Again!!!

The following Maina can then be titled.. "Never Say Never Again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

When do people think Survivor Series stopped being a major show where something significant happened and became "just a show" as they say? 2011 was a big deal because of The Rock but that was a once off. Every other Survivor Series in the past decade have been quite forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ageyev wrote: »
    When do people think Survivor Series stopped being a major show where something significant happened and became "just a show" as they say? 2011 was a big deal because of The Rock but that was a once off. Every other Survivor Series in the past decade have been quite forgettable.

2002 was the last really good one imo. That was an awesome show. Solid card top to bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Ageyev wrote: »

1998 was one of the best - the last on-the-night WWF Title tournament. 1999 then a return to the traditional 4-on-4 matches was exciting too.

2000 was the most forgettable show of it's time.

Then 2001 - with the ending to the Invasion angle was (regardless of how much better the angle could of been) a fantastic exciting show. The following year with the build up to Brock's first lost and the inaugural Elimination Chamber match was great.

2003 - That was a fantastic show - but it was "just another Survivor Series" if that makes sense. The show wasn't billed as an anything special it just turned out that way.

Since then I can't remember what any of them have been.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just watching Armageddon 99 at the moment. How in all that is holy did Big Boss Man get anywhere near a WWE title match. Big Show's kip up was pretty damn cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Necrominus wrote: »
    Just watching Armageddon 99 at the moment. How in all that is holy did Big Boss Man get anywhere near a WWE title match. Big Show's kip up was pretty damn cool though.

I don't know why but f*ck it, it's the Big Bossman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Moneymaker wrote: »
    2002 was the last really good one imo. That was an awesome show. Solid card top to bottom.
    Yeah, thought that myself. Madison Square Garden, both world titles change, decent undercard, first Chamber match. Everything since has just come and gone.
    duuuaaaane wrote: »
    1998 was one of the best - the last on-the-night WWF Title tournament. 1999 then a return to the traditional 4-on-4 matches was exciting too.

2000 was the most forgettable show of it's time.

Then 2001 - with the ending to the Invasion angle was (regardless of how much better the angle could of been) a fantastic exciting show. The following year with the build up to Brock's first lost and the inaugural Elimination Chamber match was great.

2003 - That was a fantastic show - but it was "just another Survivor Series" if that makes sense. The show wasn't billed as an anything special it just turned out that way.

Since then I can't remember what any of them have been.

I really liked 2000 at the time because their main event scene seemed quite exciting and to be filling out. In hindsight it wasn't that great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There was controversy over Renee dressing as an Indian.

How long till some easily offended people latch on to the fact Golddust is doing blackface every week now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well the WWE have no problem mocking the Irish culture and heritage with dressing Hornswoggle up as a Leprechaun and then turning him into a serial killer now in a film.

So it not just for Halloween with Hornswoggle it all year round!

I am so offended I really am not to mention how they are using Sheamus's pale skin to mock us again totally disgusting an an insult to all pale skined Irish people. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I am so offended I really am not to mention how they are using Sheamus's pale skin to mock us again totally disgusting an an insult to all pale skined Irish people. :pac:

I remember they had Cena call him a human jar of mayonnaise for a while when he was heel. I wonder would they get away with slagging R-Truth's skin tone seen as he's really dark.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    It's a CreepyPasta (a story people make up to scare others). And it's a very poor one at that.

Oh I know that (that's where I came across it). Just more so found it WTF that someone could come up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate the way all the stages are the same. Only Wrestlemania gets a unique setup these days, all the other PPVs are a variation of the Raw, Smackdown tron.

Before they equipped for HD in 08 the sets were always creative, you'd look forward to seeing the arrangements.

^
    The Backlash swinging pendulum hooks come to mind. I loved the New York Taxi
    Cab at Royal Rumble 2000 (Madison Square Garden), especially the way they had it over the short aisle way, which itself was done up like a graffitied NY street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

17 years since the Montreal Screwjob

Montreal-Screwjob-2.jpg

Got to admire them for keeping up the pretence it wasn't a work this long. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Just saw this Bray interview from back in July.

Check out 10:28 - When he's asked who his favourite opponent is, the answer is interesting and sheds light on a certain recent screwy finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Smart answer from him too, he knows what he's there to sell, chap has cop-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

rovert wrote: »
    17 years since the Montreal Screwjob

Montreal-Screwjob-2.jpg

Got to admire them for keeping up the pretence it wasn't a work this long. :P

I hope ye all lit a candle.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Off sick today with food poisoning (cheers KFC!) so bought this to cheer myself up, bloody hilarious and well worth 12 odd quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

As a wrestling fan, Montreal has been don't to death but if you take a step down and have another look it's really fascinating.

I remember it being the main article on the Wikipedia home page. I showed it to my girlfriend at the time and she thought it was wholly interesting.

When you explain it to a non-wrestling fan about what happened it truly shows how monumental is was in the pro wrestling timeline.

For the first time in a million years the "show" was exposed.

Apart from monumental Mania matches, this is the type of stuff that is what gets me and my pals interested in wrestling. The fascinating backstage politics and antics. Mostly what you don't see but with the chance that it could spill over onto TV like a shoot or even worked shoot like Matt Hardy vs Edge . Knowing the animosity is real and that they could go stiff on each other etc. Then you have stuff like HBK vs Hogan at Summerslam 05 and the overselling. Loved that. Nowadays I love watching Brock because I know he could legitimately destroy anyone if he got annoyed.... And he just might sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Just heard that an Irish woman received an award from Putin last week for her work in Chernobyl. Its an annual thing, allegedly. She had dinner with him and received some award. No word of any Sports Personalities or Bulgarians on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, I really don't get JR's whole 'character babyface' obsession with him. I don't see it at all. He does stuff that gets face reactions but that's simply because it's so catchy and different to anything anyone else is doing, the audience are reacting for the freshness rather than because they genuinely like the character and want to cheer him. If he was to start seeking cheers then it'd ruin everything cool about him.

At best he could make an ironic face, just a heel that they're okay with fans cheering and book as such, but I don't think WWE are clever and subtle enough to pull that off these days. Too many people throwing out too many ideas that the diluted end product lacks the nuance required.

Maybe down the line, when he's been around years, you could have him do his shtick and then have him wrestle like a Samoa Joe/Kevin Steen-like killer as a babyface. But you're cheering him then for the same reason people cheer Undertaker these days...and he's WAAAAAYY away from being in Taker's league.

Exactly, I don't understand why J.R keeps bringing that up. I mean, the character will end up being over with no section of the audience if it's not protected.

Deadlie wrote: »
    Just heard that an Irish woman received an award from Putin last week for her work in Chernobyl. Its an annual thing, allegedly. She had dinner with him and received some award. No word of any Sports Personalities or Bulgarians on that list.

Maybe Lana accepted on his behalf:p?

Aren't they putting Lana in a very difficult position if/when Rusev is gone, she is suddenly......Russian.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Aren't they putting Lana in a very difficult position if/when Rusev is gone, she is suddenly......Russian.

They could always bring back DX ala Kofi to point out that she is actually American.

What would DX have to do with telling everyone that Lana was American, I missed the Kofi bit?

What would DX have to do with telling everyone that Lana was American, I missed the Kofi bit?

Kofi had been playing the Jamaican bit up until then, speaking with a Jamaican accent etc. DX called him out on it, and he started speaking in his regular accent then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I hate Rollins' finishing move, the curb stomp

Why would you lie in a perfect position for him to hit that move ? Like that thing booker t used to do, and don't get me started on the 619

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement