Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was thinking Rollins should start complaining about never having an opportunity to cash in his MitB contract. Not like he can do a surprise cash in some random night since Brock is only there at certain times. Technically, the contract could expire due to the champ never turning up. Though I guess Rolins could just challenge Brock to an arranged match.

I actually reckon he might cash in on Reigns after Reigns beats Brock at WM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Necrominus wrote: »
    I actually reckon he might cash in on Reigns after Reigns beats Brock at WM.

Do you mean right after the match as a sort of a swerve or the next night on Raw? Because I can see it happening either of those ways. I mean imagine Wrestlmania ending on a climax like that. Like people have talked before about the MITB being cashed in at Wrestlmania, but if it ever did happen it would be quite shocking. As shocking as Seth Rollins' heel turn against the Shield which would add to his character.

But then again, WWE loves Reigns, and after building Reigns up to be potentially the one to beat Brock, would the really sacrifice that moment of Reigns beating Lesnar by having Rollins cash in?

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Do you mean right after the match as a sort of a swerve or the next night on Raw? Because I can see it happening either of those ways. I mean imagine Wrestlmania ending on a climax like that. Like people have talked before about the MITB being cashed in at Wrestlmania, but if it ever did happen it would be quite shocking. As shocking as Seth Rollins' heel turn against the Shield which would add to his character.

But then again, WWE loves Reigns, and after building Reigns up to be potentially the one to beat Brock, would the really sacrifice that moment of Reigns beating Lesnar by having Rollins cash in?

Pure fantasy booking here for me, but at WM. Imagine the nuclear heat Rollins would get, assuming Reigns is booked correctly between now and then. Two more solidified main eventers. Have Reigns chase Rollins up until Summerslam, or even beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

That's the obvious booking, I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

Palo Alto wrote: »
    That's the obvious booking, I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

After last night's television fiasco? I'm not sure if the writing staff for WWE are human, or giant manatees who just push idea balls into place at random (stolen from South Park, I know).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Dare I say it. This years rumble match winner is even more predictable than last year( there was a glimmer of hope Bryan would be involved).

Apart from Reigns there really is no one I can't think of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dare I say it. This years rumble match winner is even more predictable than last year( there was a glimmer of hope Bryan would be involved).

Apart from Reigns there really is no one I can't think of winning.

They've got to be having second thoughts after that last night though, they just have to be. The man is just completely not ready. Makes Cesaro look like Seth Rollins on the mic.

CSF wrote: »
    They've got to be having second thoughts after that last night though, they just have to be. The man is just completely not ready. Makes Cesaro look like Seth Rollins on the mic.

He's horrible on the mic. It's just so forced. I suppose he will improve over time. He certainly isn't ready.

It seems WWE have their heart set on him though. Wheres Daniel Bryan when you need him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

What are the odds of Bryan making it back for the Rumble? All he's gotta do is come in at no. 30 and clear the ring, then he can be protected till Mania, and they don't really have a massive return left now that they rushed Reigns back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

2005 i think, it was just before International Showdown in Coventry.
    God be with the days. To think they turned The Forum into a bingo hall now. We all know that no good wrestling ever took place in the confines of a dank bingo hall. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Being a wrestling fan is much more pleasant than being a gamer. The whole gaming industry is overrun with giving out about sexism, ethics and other unpleasant topics in a circular, never-ending, nothing-accomplishing argument. Not a peep about how excellent games are in general: Lara Croft had her smallest bust and taken the most seriously in her best game yet. Ellie is an emotionally strong, smart and caring teenager. Clem is a pre-teen bad ass... That's why I love wrestling fans better - we can handle anything that comes our way because we're always miserable! We took the CM Punk expose on WWE on board and moved on to enjoying NXT. Gamers en masse don't appreciate how good they have it. What I'm saying is: wrestling fans, f**k yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind rasslin' being less misogynistic, homophobic, racist, xenophobic...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If ever there was a time to have a nobody win the rumble, to have someone like Balor or Zayn from NXT, it's now. In an era where the title match isn't always the main event at Mania, at a time when people are incredibly disillusioned, having an utterly outside chancer win would probably be worth the risk...

I wish that every championship was defended at every pay per view. I wish that the WWE World Heavyweight Championship was always the main event, regardless of who was in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If ever there was a time to have a nobody win the rumble, to have someone like Balor or Zayn from NXT, it's now. In an era where the title match isn't always the main event at Mania, at a time when people are incredibly disillusioned, having an utterly outside chancer win would probably be worth the risk...
    I like that idea, have say the plan booked and think right we want Balor or Sami or Cena (just an example) win it. So have 2 bookings with only a small difference and judge it on the night in the ring. If Balor walks out to a massive pop as an unknown go for it, but if he walks out to nothing like Rusev last year, back out and have Cena win. Would be good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Genuinely (because WWE will never do that - and would be absolutely mental to do so too...EVERY time they push a guy to the moon early on, it backfires), it wouldn't surprise me if they had Devitt or an NXT talent in the final 5-6. They'll often have a random person you wouldn't expect in there towards the end just because you can get away with it if it doesn't work out (it's the luck of the draw) and it gives them a rub if they want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After seeing what happened with Charlotte on Raw, what are the chances of an NXT guy being in the Rumble and doing well?

I can't really remember if Bo Dallas or Alexander Rusev did well. Bo eliminated Wade Barrett though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's funny that as a kid you don't have the know-with-all to actually realise that there are only a handful of guys that can realistically win the rumble.

When Mean Gene used to do the "who are the Rumble participants" every week on superstars.

Mean Gene: Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, The Repo Man.

Little 8 year old gob****e me: Awh Repo Man is definitely going to win.

Lads
    Kane won a singles match on Smackdown last night!!!

• Advertisement

Gotta build him up for his yearly Rumble preformance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Rusev has to be up there with the greatest “foreign buddies” of all time at this stage. His booking and performances to date have both been fantastic. If you place him amongst the benchmarks of the The Iron Sheik, Heel Slaughter, Ivan Kovlov he can’t be far behind.

Muhamad Hussain is the only guy in the modern era the could be classed on par with (or better than) him. In the last twenty years Koslov, Borgia, La Resistance and I guess you could maybe lump in Khali, all failed to light a fire underneath anyone belly

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Reigns' mic skills are overly-criticised in my opinion. Sure, he doesn't have the same obvious flair that Ambrose and lately Rollins have, but does he have to?

I don't remember the Undertaker being outstanding in it. In fact, they have similar mic personas in my opinion: cool, calm and collected, never getting overly animated.

Maybe keeping him as the strong and silent type who just lets his actions do the talking 90% of the time mightn't be such a bad idea? Or would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Reigns' mic skills are overly-criticised in my opinion. Sure, he doesn't have the same obvious flair that Ambrose and lately Rollins have, but does he have to?

I don't remember the Undertaker being outstanding in it. In fact, they have similar mic personas in my opinion: cool, calm and collected, never getting overly animated.

Maybe keeping him as the strong and silent type who just lets his actions do the talking 90% of the time mightn't be such a bad idea? Or would it?
    You can't compare the two at all. Firstly, Taker has charisma. He doesn't need to talk for you to just feed off of him. I can't say the same for Reigns at all. All the big stars (and this includes Cena) just have that IT factor. There is just something about them that draws you towards them.

Reigns doesn't have that. He has the look, he has ability. He just doesn't scream to me "This is the guy" the way Cena did before he became this squeaky clean guy, the way The Rock, SCSA, Flair, Taker, HHH etc. did. That's my problem. WWE should have learnt from last year that if you try and force someone down our throats we are going to get p*ssed off. There are guys now (Ambrose, Ziggler, Rollins, Balor, Zayn and one or two others) who just have it. You just gravitate towards them. It's not something you can teach.

I'm not say that Reigns shouldn't be a one-or-two time World Champion. He'd be good at being a champion IMHO. But there are a lot of guys who are not only a better choice to win the Rumble but who are ready for it now. Reigns is going to be a 2-3 year project to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

The problem with Reigns on the mic for me is that they're trying to cast him as this loud braggart going on about stupid **** at length (like... oh I don't know Cena 2.0).

Really doesn't work at all, he was fine as the big man of few words we was in the early days of the Shield and they should have kept him like that, perfectly alright character to hang around the midcard working his craft but nope he has to be prematurely pushed to the moon.

I honestly feel bad for the man himself, he's good at what he does for someone so green but the premature main event push will ruin him long term, and also somewhat crap on the legacy of the Shield as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    You can't compare the two at all. Firstly, Taker has charisma. He doesn't need to talk for you to just feed off of him. I can't say the same for Reigns at all. All the big stars (and this includes Cena) just have that IT factor. There is just something about them that draws you towards them.

Reigns doesn't have that. He has the look, he has ability. He just doesn't scream to me "This is the guy" the way Cena did before he became this squeaky clean guy, the way The Rock, SCSA, Flair, Taker, HHH etc. did. That's my problem. WWE should have learnt from last year that if you try and force someone down our throats we are going to get p*ssed off. There are guys now (Ambrose, Ziggler, Rollins, Balor, Zayn and one or two others) who just have it. You just gravitate towards them. It's not something you can teach.

I'm not say that Reigns shouldn't be a one-or-two time World Champion. He'd be good at being a champion IMHO. But there are a lot of guys who are not only a better choice to win the Rumble but who are ready for it now. Reigns is going to be a 2-3 year project to get there.

That's perfectly fair, and I'd be inclined to agree with it. I just see it being continually used as a stick to beat him with, while others' shortcomings are completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That's perfectly fair, and I'd be inclined to agree with it. I just see it being continually used as a stick to beat him with, while others' shortcomings are completely ignored.

It's because it's soooo cringey and so obvious, in such a limiting way, the chap literally can't speak without sounding like an absolute buffoon. That is such a big thing when you're at the top of the card.

When it comes to mic skills, Cesaro is bad in a cringey obvious way, but at least with him he's not from an English speaking country, and with Reigns it's so much worse.

You could go down the man of few words alright, but there aren't many cases of faces at the top of the card with a manager, and you'd certainly need a manager to carry feuds the way Paul Heyman does for Brock.

I think Roman Reigns would be better as a heel. He's not able to be the lonewolf.

If you ignored Raw, you'd probably have to consider
    Dolph Ziggler
    as a posisble Rumble winner, given his PPV booking over the last two months.

PPV Spoilers
    At SS, he manages to dethrone the Authority and is the last man standing following a heroic battle against some of the top heels in WWE. At TLC, he wins a ladder match after which the commentators start marking out about how massive a win it is for him, and how it could be a huge stepping stone for him up the card again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If you ignored Raw, you'd probably have to consider
    Dolph Ziggler
    as a posisble Rumble winner, given his PPV booking over the last two months.

PPV Spoilers
    At SS, he manages to dethrone the Authority and is the last man standing following a heroic battle against some of the top heels in WWE. At TLC, he wins a ladder match after which the commentators start marking out about how massive a win it is for him, and how it could be a huge stepping stone for him up the card again.

I think they're just pushing him because previously there were a number of heels in the main event due to the Authority, and needed some faces the balance it out. Ziggler is a good worker and someone who is pretty likable, so he makes for a good filler guy. But at the end of the day, I don't think Ziggler is ever going to be a WWE Champion ever, or even a full fledged main event guy. Once Randy Orton returns, I think Ziggler will go back down the ladder and continue being the guy who can work the mid-card and main event but not someone who will get any further. In a way he kind've reminds me of Kane, except he's much better than Kane because Kane sucks now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Reigns certainly does have an on screen presence many would love to have.

He gets people's attention based on the reactions to him since debut with the Shield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement