Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm sick of authority figures in wrestling. Is there really a need to put over/focus every week on people who aren't going to wrestle, who don't add to the buyrate, who aren't going to appear on house shows? "Oh I can't wait for that Triple H promo at the PPV!" :p WWF got on just fine for ~14 years without a weekly figure keeping everyone in line. It meant that whenever Jack Tunney came out, it was so important that he had to show his face, and only if absolutely necessary, step out from behind the curtain. No let's just fail at trying to recreate Austin/McMahon for the rest of time :( It's not like Triple H's heat is rubbing off on his cronies.
    You have to realise that most Americans have this big fantasy to stand up to the boss and stick it to them, to beat them at their own game. So when an authority figure comes in and starts throwing his weight around someone standing up to them makes the crowd go crazy and it means the audience can see their fantasy come to life in a way! That's what put SCSA over even more than he was, that's why D. Bryan (less so), Cody and Show are now super over because they are standing up to the boss and his cronies, so that's why it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

rovert wrote: »
    I wonder what Jack Tunney's entrance music would have been.

Probably the awful Wrestlemania theme Linda walks out to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Probably the Mania theme alright. Authority figures shouldn't have entrance music though. Kayfabe makes no sense (they're not a featured attraction), it's quite egotistical, and the "shock" of having no music is actually great for generating heat. Vickie's done extremely well without a theme. If you remember Kozlov actually got great heat in his entrance until he got a song.
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    You have to realise that most Americans have this big fantasy to stand up to the boss and stick it to them, to beat them at their own game.

This makes sense, but it doesn't look like it's translated to interest (i.e. TV ratings are not great, PPV estimate for S'Slam isn't great)

While I'm at it, I'm sick of hearing about corporate stuff on TV - Triple H promos are the worst offenders. "CM Punk, I paid for your new entrance theme" ... "since I did this, TV ratings and buyrates are up". I don't want my TV show telling me the business side of the TV show! Even going back to "the brand extension" in 2002, what a horrible, soulless name for cutting your roster in 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Probably the Mania theme alright. Authority figures shouldn't have entrance music though. Kayfabe makes no sense (they're not a featured attraction), it's quite egotistical, and the "shock" of having no music is actually great for generating heat. Vickie's done extremely well without a theme. If you remember Kozlov actually got great heat in his entrance until he got a song.

This makes sense, but it doesn't look like it's translated to interest (i.e. TV ratings are not great, PPV estimate for S'Slam isn't great)

While I'm at it, I'm sick of hearing about corporate stuff on TV - Triple H promos are the worst offenders. "CM Punk, I paid for your new entrance theme" ... "since I did this, TV ratings and buyrates are up". I don't want my TV show telling me the business side of the TV show! Even going back to "the brand extension" in 2002, what a horrible, soulless name for cutting your roster in 2.

Yeah the insider stuff is to jarring at times Trips and Punk were really bad with it.
    "This is Paul Levesque taking to Phil Brooks" etc..

And I remember the final promo between Cena and Punk before a summerslam ppv, they were talking about workrate ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gerrybbadd wrote: »

DO DO DO DO DOO DOOOO!!!

Beat me to it Gerry ya pup. Exactly what I was thinking. Kozlov's silent entrance was good and all but his Rammsteinn-esque music was killer. Loved that one.

Does Maddox have a theme tune?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm sick of authority figures in wrestling. Is there really a need to put over/focus every week on people who aren't going to wrestle, who don't add to the buyrate, who aren't going to appear on house shows? "Oh I can't wait for that Triple H promo at the PPV!" :p WWF got on just fine for ~14 years without a weekly figure keeping everyone in line. It meant that whenever Jack Tunney came out, it was so important that he had to show his face, and only if absolutely necessary, step out from behind the curtain. No let's just fail at trying to recreate Austin/McMahon for the rest of time :( It's not like Triple H's heat is rubbing off on his cronies.

I don`t get the need for HHH to be rammed down our throats every week he`s already been overpushed as the main heel for over a fúcking decade now, we get it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

It's GM overkill at the moment.

Vickie,Maddox,Booker and HHH/Steph too,such a waste of time having so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It just makes it easier for both shows really. HHH and Steph don't need to be on every show, so Vickie makes it easier, and I suppose Maddox does a good job of playing the lackey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Why does he turn up to each show. He has no on screen role at all

GTR63 wrote: »
    Why does he turn up to each show. He has no on screen role at all

Hey buddy he's the greatest World Champion of all time by a landslide :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Heres a random wrasslin thought, i feel like Stephanie is starting to resemble vince now as she gets older.. puts an interesting twist into all those teenage ****. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

sockmo wrote: »
    Heres a random wrasslin thought, i feel like Stephanie is starting to resemble vince now as she gets older.. puts an interesting twist into all those teenage ****. :/

Teenage ?.?!!

Teenage ?.?!!

Yes . 98/99 I was 14

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Yes .

I think he means why did you stop :pac:

Random wrestling thought, or thoughts; you know you have a problem when you start comparing your workplace politics to wrestling politics. Or just comparing things in the outside world in general to wrestling.

**** jokes aside, I for one welcome the new corporate angle. Though as I say; if I was in charge I'd have them allaaa the one management/corporate force, vince needs more tv time! Vicky teddy maddox all need to be there so we can have dynamics within the group. id push maddox into a sympathetic face/ underdog role andlet him wrestle properly.maybe taking on orton or something. He's gold, I don't get why people hate him other than him being meant as a heel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Yes . 98/99 I was 14

She didn't really get hot til 2001 imo.

Would love to see her without makeup , it would just be female vince!, I always thought she was hot, just lately she's getting more vince, I think it's the chin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

gerrybbadd wrote: »

how can anyone possibly hate this?

would love it if they did a remake for WM30 with the current roster

Go to 1:58

Now decide if it's a jobber theme! :o

• Advertisement

^^^

That was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Charisteas wrote: »
    Random wrestling thought, or thoughts; you know you have a problem when you start comparing your workplace politics to wrestling politics. Or just comparing things in the outside world in general to wrestling.

Me and my mates do this constantly.
    If our soccer team lose we call them jobbers. If one of the lads does a good prank we ask if it got over. If one of the girls is acting the bitch to her bloke we'll call her a massive heel etc. Normal people must think we're freaks but it's like having your own language :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Statistician Chris Harrington:
    Top Fifty WWWF/WWF/WWE performers in terms of length of televised matches (from 1963 through about June 2013)
    1. Triple H: 6553 minutes in 677 matches televised matches.
    2. Glen Jacobs: 6040 minutes in 828 matches televised matches.
    3. Shawn Michaels: 6027 minutes in 600 matches televised matches.
    4. Randy Orton: 5910 minutes in 530 matches televised matches.
    5. Chris Jericho: 5761 minutes in 670 matches televised matches.
    6. Undertaker: 5611 minutes in 698 matches televised matches.
    7. John Cena: 5607 minutes in 520 matches televised matches.
    8. Edge: 5411 minutes in 625 matches televised matches.
    9. Bret Hart: 4698 minutes in 588 matches televised matches.
    10. Big Show: 4660 minutes in 669 matches televised matches.

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/mookieghana-prowrestlingstatistics/most_tv_time_wwf

Triple H has probably spent longer cutting promos. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He has racked up those many minutes in October alone in promos!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

'Ortons average match to minutes ratio is pretty good, I imagine the last few years on Smackdown are a big reason for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and that he takes about half an hour to set up those DDTs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The entrances are hardly included in "tv time" are they? Can cut that figure in half for Ortons in ring so given how long it takes for him to walk down the ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The entrances are hardly included in "tv time" are they? Can cut that figure in half for Ortons in ring so given how long it takes for him to walk down the ramp.

In that case you could cut Taker by more than half

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I'd assume they'd count the time from bell to bell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Who the hell lifted that briefcase at KOTR '99?

...don't say Steve Blackman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement