Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Murmurs at the time said it was Big Bossman on behalf of Vince & Shane but that was just speculation online.

Another one of the great unanswered pro wrestling mysteries.

rovert wrote: »
    Statistician Chris Harrington:

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/mookieghana-prowrestlingstatistics/most_tv_time_wwf

Triple H has probably spent longer cutting promos. :P

How many years would Kane have to go to hit 1000 matches? Would be a great milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Are they counting the character Kane's matches, or Glen Jacobs?

By the fact a lot of the stats are classed as "Glen Jacobs" I'd say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

uwwedoogie wrote: »
    Who the hell lifted that briefcase at KOTR '99?

...don't say Steve Blackman.

It's the only name I've ever heard. Also, Goldust and GTV yada yada....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was reading a Bret Hart interview recently where he talked about the brutal WWF schedule in the 80s and 90s, where you were on the road constantly, he said he averaged 3 days at home in Calgary a month.

He did state that the pay was great for a maineventer like him but the time away from home had a massive impact on his marriage and kids.

You can see why the likes of Hall and Nash were wooed by WCW, a relaxed schedule, limited dates and big money.

I believe the modern WWE system is four days on 3 days off, unless theres's an international tour or appearance dates etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

There was a letter in the Metro Herald recently about a guy who, when he steps off the Dart each morning, pretends he's Goldberg and all the other commuters are his bodyguards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I was reading a Bret Hart interview recently where he talked about the brutal WWF schedule in the 80s and 90s, where you were on the road constantly, he said he averaged 3 days at home in Calgary a month.

He did state that the pay was great for a maineventer like him but the time away from home had a massive impact on his marriage and kids.

You can see why the likes of Hall and Nash were wooed by WCW, a relaxed schedule, limited dates and big money.

I believe the modern WWE system is four days on 3 days off, unless theres's an international tour or appearance dates etc..

You would be right.

You must also remember that in 1995 business was so bad that on certain tours once travel expenses were paid they were essentially working for free or costing them money. Whereas in the 80s Bret once spent 90 days on the road so he could buy a house all in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Charisteas wrote: »
    There was a letter in the Metro Herald recently about a guy who, when he steps off the Dart each morning, pretends he's Goldberg and all the other commuters are his bodyguards.

We must find him and make his dream a reality by gathering around him as he leaves the carriage, preferably without him even knowing about it until it happens.

Failing that, we should just start doing it to random people.

Sounds like a plan. Are you going to be the guy who sings his theme song, or the guy who lets of the fireworks for his pyro? I call dibs on being the guy who knocks on the Dart door just before it opens.

The other option is pretending your a member of The Shield when walking down an escalator in a shopping centre, complete with the Seth Rollins roll at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I hate when there are more than 2 wrestlers/teams (let's say that number is x) in a match the commentators say that each wrestler/team has a 1 in x chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Ridley

Brad Maddox's theme should be the WrestleMania (pump it up, pump it up) music. However, all instances of the word "wrestle" are replaced with "Maddox".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,164 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I miss Mark Henry.

CSF wrote: »
    I miss Mark Henry.

When's he due back? What will he do I wonder, maybe be a Paul Heyman guy, or maybe feud with the Wyatts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,164 ✭✭✭✭CSF

When's he due back? What will he do I wonder, maybe be a Paul Heyman guy, or maybe feud with the Wyatts.
    In general the WWE seems to be lacking good heels outside of the Authority storyline so I think he will come back to fill that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How does a missed dropkick hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

In kayfabe you're planning to kick the opponent with your full force. You're not expecting him to move out of the way so you jump with all this force and aren't able to protect yourself going down

12 years ago today I was at this event live, still ranks as my favourite attended show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_Rebellion#2001

12 years ago today I was at this event live, still ranks as my favourite attended show.

Very much a who's who if you were ticking boxes of seeing some wrestling greats live.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Very much a who's who if you were ticking boxes of seeing some wrestling greats live.

Yeah was an all-star line up alright boosted by the Invasion angle. Triple H was injured with that infamous quad injury, not sure where Taker and Kane were though.

Met Lita and David Beckham within about 15 minutes of each other at Old Trafford that day as well. Good times.

Still haven't seen Taker live, probably never will now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Saw Eddie Guerrero in Belfast around his second-to-last birthday; was always glad of that. Coming up on 8 years now since his death, and 9 since the show, and he's still a sorely missed presence on weekly programming. It really goes without mention that the level of personal loss to those around vastly outweighs petty grappling concerns, but as an over-involved follower of this odd art, I always thought it a desperate shame that Eddie and HBK never got to rip it up on the big-stage.

Kane and Eddie would've been a fantastically goofy, WWE-style drama too; especially considering the chops Eddie got to show with 'I'm your papa' shtick.
    By no means a popular example of a 'rasslin angle, but I dug it, and Eddie played a miserable, jealous twerp to perfection too. Then he can immediately turn around and be the most dynamic and sympathetic face going in the space of a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,153 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That was not long after the 1st show in Montreal since the screw job in 97 and the go home show Smackdown before the No Mercy PPV in 2001. I was at that show some buzz in the Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I went to my first live event in 2003. It was the Smackdown Tour De Force. Now in hindsight I realise how lucky I was to see Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit live. I remember Cena was so over. We only booed him when he dissed Guinness in his rap hehe. I remember the show ended with a big brawl around the ring and then everyone ended up dancing to Rikishi's music. It was hilarious that Benoit wanted no part of it and they eventually got him to dance. Nidia also tried to get in on it but they just ordered her out ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I love when JBL does crowd responses. For instance when R-Truth comes out, JBL responds to the Whats Up. Same with the Usos, JBL is there with the Oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I love when JBL does crowd responses. For instance when R-Truth comes out, JBL responds to the Whats Up. Same with the Usos, JBL is there with the Oh!

yueah I like this, if only for the fact it makes me feel as though he is drunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For me, thats one of the worst things he does. A few weeks ago R-Truth was doing his bit, Cole started talking only for JBL to roar "Whats up?!" every few seconds like a retarded child, completely cutting off Cole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cole deserves to be cut off at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Omackeral wrote: »
    Cole deserves to be cut off at every opportunity.

The best of the three by a considerable distance.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The best of the three by a considerable distance.

Its sad when Cole is considered the best of anything. I'm not arguing with ya, he probably is the best of the 3, just, its sad to say that there hasn't been a better commentator to emerge that could replace him.

The best thing Cole used to do was the backstage interviews with the likes of the Rock. How he got to the point of being the voice of the WWE is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Come to think of it, they still have Joey Styles on the payroll I think. Why in the name of Jesus (Of Los Boricuas) is he still running WWE.com and not soing what he does best? I hope Trips sorts out the commentary situation next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement