Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'm a Jim Cornette guy. I think he's hilarious. I wish I could remember some of his one-liners to throw into my own conversations

He once said about Vince Russo: "I couldn't warm up to him if we were cremated together." It's on Wrestletalktv.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

What's the reason Cornette hates Russo so much? Is it just because he is a **** writer?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The thing is that other than the people in the business, nobody knows about him so we can't really form an opinion. Jim is usually right though. What do all of you think of Cornette?

To me he is a wrestling god.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What changes have happened in the world to necessitate the changes to the current product? I would say the core values of the wrestling industry are pretty timeless.

Social media interaction is the most pressing example that comes to mind, and the need to make everything bite-size, audience accessible and explainable in a tweet. SCSA is also oblivious to the move to wrestling companies, as a whole, and the brand becoming a draw rather than individual stars. JR seems to think that lack of heel cheating has led to the audience booing the likes of Cena, seemingly clueless to the idea that the world has changed and social media etc have empowered audiences across all platforms (not just wrestling). So even if you presented them a Bill Watts-helmed product exactly the same as Mid South was back in the day, you'd still have ironic cheers and boos, because that's the way the world is today. The likes of Jedward are making a career out of ironic love and 'memeability' alone.

I like all three, don't get me wrong, but when you're going out in public ranting you open yourself up to the world realising you're a bit out of touch. Which is sad because all three do have a lot of invaluable wisdom to offer on certain topics.

Griever931 wrote: »
    What's the reason Cornette hates Russo so much? Is it just because he is a **** writer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMm0Alg0bvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfEAan9NwpE

Sorry for all the links but it's the best way to answer your question. I can hardly remember myself why he doesn't like him

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    To me he is a wrestling god.

I absolutely agree, he's my hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russo gets a good amount of stick for that Jim Ross mockery that he and his writing partner put together but didn't McMahon do a (one off) bit mocking JR, too?

VinceMocksJ.R._crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

Not that I'm saying it's a valid thing to do but Russo wasn't the only one who did it. There's also the thought that Russo took over the day to day writing of TV from Cornette and Bruce Pitchford, who were responsible for a good amount of crap gimmicks that came out in the mid 90s. Russo was more open to incorporating pop culture and low culture elements, which Cornette HATED but it can't be denied that it got results at the time.

Just watching the macho man doc on the network and I know the macho man was his character but he was so good at both in ring and promos that he had to be off his chuck a little bit. The thing with Liz is unsettling to watch tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE only has 6 Grand Slam Champions (WWE World Title, I-C, US & Tag Team) and The Miz & Big Show are two of the 6. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Loughc wrote: »
    WWE only has 6 Grand Slam Champions (WWE World Title, I-C, US & Tag Team) and The Miz & Big Show are two of the 6. :eek:

It's only because the current tag title is only around since 02. Flair, Hart and Austin would qualify if you included the old tag title.

(Still dont understand why WWE killed off the title with the greatest lineage when merging the tag titles)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ceegee wrote: »
    It's only because the current tag title is only around since 02. Flair, Hart and Austin would qualify if you included the old tag title.

(Still dont understand why WWE killed off the title with the greatest lineage when merging the tag titles)

i still don't get why they call it the "WWE World HW Champion" now, just call it the WWE Championship ffs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

And I still don't know why they replaced them with such ugly belts.

Angron wrote: »
    And I still don't know why they replaced them with such ugly belts.

Well of the two belts the big gold belt was a gorgeous title to look at.it said world champion to me. The wwe spinner **** is not missed by me anyway.

Isn't the definition a wrestler that has held all the titles available to win at the time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

When was the last time a ref checked a wrestlers ring gear for a "foreign object"? Do they do that any more at all? Especially in a Ric Flair match big mania match.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well of the two belts the big gold belt was a gorgeous title to look at.it said world champion to me. The wwe spinner **** is not missed by me anyway.
    I was talking about the tag titles.

It'll be a cold day in hell when the Dubya Cee Dubya title is the WWE's main prize

I was talking about the tag titles.

I know sorry I didn't mean to quote your post.My post on the world titles still stands but werent the smackdown titles the same design as the old wwf title belts ?

Does anyone know how much Hulk Hogan was making in WCW?

It'll be a cold day in hell when the Dubya Cee Dubya title is the WWE's main prize

Yeah but honestly that belt says worlds heavyweight champion dammitt.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how much Hulk Hogan was making in WCW?

No but he wasn't a charity and doing it for the good of his health.

Do any of the midcarders except for Bryan really have main event potential? I've been a fan of Ziggler with ages but I've started to question does he actually suit the main event. Anyone else?

It's kinda down to personal opinion. I reckon, if they actually tried to build him right, Dean Ambrose could do well in the main event spot, though I dunno if that could even happen any time soon (I'm hopeful though. Dean vs. Seth for the World Title is something I'd dream of). Really, quite a few of the mid-card I do think could do well, but they really need to get it in order and actually develop a few guys better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

It's kinda down to personal opinion. I reckon, if they actually tried to build him right, Dean Ambrose could do well in the main event spot, though I dunno if that could even happen any time soon (I'm hopeful though. Dean vs. Seth for the World Title is something I'd dream of). Really, quite a few of the mid-card I do think could do well, but they really need to get it in order and actually develop a few guys better.

Agree as there is such a fine line between midcard and main event. As of now Rollins, Reigns, Orton and lesnar(when he shows) is very underwhelming and nobody in midcard should feel that they couldn't break into that

Ambrose is poorly booked, very poorly booked. After Ambrose I can only see Ziggler in the main event frame unless I'm forgetting someone.

Ambrose is poorly booked, very poorly booked. After Ambrose I can only see Ziggler in the main event frame unless I'm forgetting someone.
    Oh it's been fecking atrocious. The fact that he's still popular with the crowd despite that is the main thing that gives me hope for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Isn't the definition a wrestler that has held all the titles available to win at the time ?

WWE have decided there's a "new Grand Slam" which only counts the current title, so only Bryan, Show, Miz, Eddie, Angle and Edge qualify.

Putting on my cynical conspiracy hat, the WWE's decision not to count the old tag titles means that they dont need to acknowledge big names winning the US title in wcw (Dont want to remind people that Austin won stuff in wcw before the 'E) and excluding the big gold belt means Benoit can be ignored

WWE have decided there's a "new Grand Slam" which only counts the current title, so only Bryan, Show, Miz, Eddie, Angle and Edge qualify.

Putting on my cynical conspiracy hat, the WWE's decision not to count the old tag titles means that they dont need to acknowledge big names winning the US title in wcw (Dont want to remind people that Austin won stuff in wcw before the 'E) and excluding the big gold belt means Benoit can be ignored

If Benoit just commited suicide and Nancy and Daniel never died do you think he would still be ignored?

If Benoit just commited suicide and Nancy and Daniel never died do you think he would still be ignored?
    WWE would likely downplay the suicide thing, but I don't think he'd be ignored (at least not entirely).

• Advertisement

Chris the poor f*cker, he's very well known both in and out of the world of Pro Wrestling for the wrong reasons. Regardless of whether you love him or hate him, you must feel sorry for his legacy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement