Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

It's funny because the main reason they do this stuff is to convince advertisers; who don't want their brands associated with wrestling (which is why you usually just see fast food ads during Raw in the US), and hence WWE get lower than average advertising revenue; that these advertisers are not buying ads on wrestling. They really think they can convince advertisers that's it's not wrestling.

It's interesting because live sports is considered very valuable these days because they are DVR-proof and ads can't be skipped when watched live; and WWE falls into that category when it comes to DVR rates; so if they played up the sporting/wrestling aspects they'd probably be better off these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

QikBax wrote: »
    Meltzer has twice now, on Observer radio, coyly referred to Cena using the springboard stunner and Austin's reaction to it not being a coincidence.

Potential Mania match for next year

Is it too much of a conspiracy to think that the whole 'issue' between Austin and WWE/McMahon is for Wrestlemania next year?

Revisiting the biggest feud in the company's history would sell a few of those 100,000 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I really hope Austin doesn't wrestle again.
    His legacy if you will, would be flawed in my memory if he does because I find almost all of the one last hurrah matches disappointing.

Bret v Vince broke my heart.
    Sting HHH didnt do it for me.
    Angle is mangled(I know he isn't a returning star but still!)
    Hogan is a tool and Mick Foley isn't engraved in my brain as he used to be as a hardcore superstar maniac.
    Even Rocky doesnt do it for me anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Going to gloriously waste my time and start a new game:
    http://www.ewbattleground.com/topic/95510-tew13-real-world-update-april-2015/

Essentially a Pro Wrestling version of Championship Manager:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Warfare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

rovert wrote: »
    Going to gloriously waste my time and start a new game:
    http://www.ewbattleground.com/topic/95510-tew13-real-world-update-april-2015/

Essentially a Pro Wrestling version of Championship Manager:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Warfare

I've tried multiple times to get into a modern day save but can never stick it, prefer the historical mods. The default fictional universe is still my favourite though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I've tried multiple times to get into a modern day save but can never stick it, prefer the historical mods. The default fictional universe is still my favourite though.

I think i last played a 2005 verison, as i recall CM punk got a drug problem. How ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I stick to Universe Mode on the PlayStation with some friends of mine. It can get very heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think i last played a 2005 verison, as i recall CM punk got a drug problem. How ironic

He always brings booze into the locker room as well. The strangest thing I've seen was Rick Steiner beating Hollywood Hogan for the WCW World Championship and holding it for a year. He dropped it to Kevin Nash. The entire thing was a ratings disaster and pretty much killed my competition :cool:

Tough Enough applications are now open at www.wwetoughenough.com if anyone here is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Why isn't Rovert a Mod? By far one of the coolest and most helpful guys on PW.

• Advertisement

Why isn't Rovert a Mod? By far one of the coolest and most helpful guys on PW.

I applied for Tough Enough instead.

I applied for Tough Enough instead.

Are you gonna be the big black meathead from Season 1 that was stiff and dangerous or will you be Josh Matthews?

Hopefully not this one:
    One of the contestants on Tough Enough 3 has had a psychotic breakdown. She was left alone in the TE3 house whilst the others went out for a night on the town. While she was left alone she began running around and crashing into the walls before she climbed onto the roof and started claiming she was going to jump.

MTV producers called John "Big" Gubarik who came immediately and managed to talk her down. She was then hospitalized for three days against her will and put in a straight jacket to stop her harming herself and once released her parents had to collect her and take her home to New Mexico.

Whilst being taken home she attacked her parents and run away, she was subsequently sent to hospital again but checked her self out after it was deemed she was no longer a threat to herself or anyone else.

She later called MTV and Tough Enough officials attempting to get back on the show but was obviously refused.

Since this whole episode she has become a regular stalker at WWE events often claiming to be Al Snow?s assistant and she is so convincing she has even talked her way into working out for a few hours at the OVW school before they learned who she really was.

Last week her actions caused great concerns as she talked her way backstage at a house show and even had a conversation with Vince McMahon who believed her story as a Tough Enough 3 contestant was true. Following this security breach the woman has had her picture circulated to all WWE security so she can?t get into any WWE events.

No footage of her is expected to air when Tough Enough 3 is broadcasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've heard that story before, and also heard it had something to do with Bill Demott. That he gave her a really hard time during her training, and it pushed her over the edge. I think it was Al Snow who claimed Demott was the reason it.

Poor girl nonetheless.

LUCHA UNDERGROUND MAKES ME SO HAPPY.

End of message.

New Day Doesn't Suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

LUCHA UNDERGROUND MAKES ME SO HAPPY.

End of message.

THIS it's so good with the best parts of campy acting and skits and a really good and sometimes outright great match every week it blows NXT out of the water nearly every week.

Roman Reigns got the pin on Seth Rollins on SmackDown tonight. I felt that he was getting a bad rap all along but wasn't too gone on him. I'm warming to him slowly but surely again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Think NXT touring like the world's richest indie promotion is a bad thing tbh, WWE already have such an overwhelming grip on wrestling in the states. Even with Lucha Underground the likes of ROH & TNA are now pale shadows of what they once were. Thank god NJPW came out of the doldrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I hear that view and agree that it's good to have a range of visions to drive the best overall product for consumers, but with NXT wrestlers are able to get the joys of the indie scene with a regular paycheque, the assuredness that the right people are watching and the daily working environment of an athlete. It's the way the business evolves away from being dated and carney. That makes a difference. I grew up playing sports and training but was shocked by how sloppy and disorganised wrestling was when I first joined, like everyone was just winging it - and that was in one of the most reputable companies in Europe at the time.

Certain (i.e. ex-WWE) wrestlers can earn more on the indies, and that's good too for guys who don't make it because your career shouldn't depend ultimately on how 2-3 people view you, but they really are the Wild West of wrestling and I don't think that necessarily helps guys develop. It's where bad habits are learned and reinforced (I use Christopher Daniels and Austin Aries as examples of two guys with tremendous upside but who are too indie-hardened to ever truly be successful because they can't unlearn these habits now) and is just as likely to produce a whiny, spoiled but talented CM Punk as it is a professional, polished athlete like Fergal Devitt. As good and interesting as Punk is, wrestling is much better off in the long run if we're getting more of the latter. So on the whole wrestling is much better off with NXT and the Performance Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I liked punk but in the last year he has not been missed at all in my mind

I'd STRONGLY advise not watching this out of context but if you have to watch it:

What is it?

What is it?

Lucha Underground 4/22/15: Son of Havoc, Ivelisse & Angelico vs The Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That whole match was damn near perfection. Story telling in Wrestling at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finn Balor vs Bray Wyatt could be awesome with the right storyline something that could run for years if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not a fan of babyface and heel wrestlers being seen in backstage photographs with one another smiling and happy. There's one in the NXT thread of the main women in that promotion doing this. There's no need for it. If they want to have a photo with one another then do so and keep it private. Don't highlight to the world how fake this stuff is.

I'm reminded of it because I watched a clip recently of Jim Cornette talking about how when he was at Ring of Honor guys would be having wars in the ring with each other and then a few days later would be sending tweets to each other about their pets, and the movies, and this kind of stuff. He quite rightly denounced this behaviour.

I don't expect to see Mayweather and Pacquiao taking pictures of themselves backstage laughing and joking. I don't expect Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo to do so either. So why should this be acceptable in WWE? If the point of the wrestling business is to create the illusion of conflict then there is no justification for presenting such a sh*tty illusion.

It's a bit like going to a magic show where the woman is supposed to be sawn in half, but before the magician does it he turns to the crowd and goes 'Don't worry folks, noting's going to happen to her as it's all a trick.' Well remind me why I should care then? At least give me a reason to doubt what is before my eyes, even for just a moment.

I'm sure some will say 'Ah it's no big deal because kayfabe is dead', but I know kayfabe is dead. My point is there is no need to piss all over its corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Hmm, that's an interesting one. I don't think it should be 'full carney', like don't patronise us pretending it's all real either (that just creates a disconnect with your followers), so don't see any problems with stuff like Sheamus putting up pics with Barrett and Cesaro (I know they're all heels now but he did this while he was face) UNLESS they're feuding. It ruins a feud. I'm a bit more up for Ziggler/Sheamus tonight now because I've a tiny doubt in my mind about them having legit bad blood and will watch for that. That doubt can be a very cool, under-used device that adds a bit of bite and intensity to a match.

Having said that, though, the flip side is also ridiculously cringey. I can't STAND wrestlers using Twitter to cut obviously kayfabed promos. It's even worse when it's indie wrestlers trying to hype a match you couldn't give a **** about by faking an argument that everyone knows is fake. It comes across like they're role-playing in public and totally takes the shine off. Very backyard-y.

Paul Heyman is off screen less than a month and he is missed big time the energy he brings to a WWE show no one there right now has the "IT" factor for me.

• Advertisement

Rusev = Marc Mero...... Lana = Sable storyline coming I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement