Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

veganrun wrote: »
    How the hell does The Rock get up at 4 or 5am and do a mad workout then go filming or whatever he does for the day? I woke about 4am this morning, tossed and turned for a few hours before getting up and I've been wrecked all day!

Getting up at 4am to workout is nothing to these guys I suspect. Given their hectic lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I have been watching a couple of Lucha Underground episodes recently and brother I like it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Been watching a lot of wwe documentaries recently. One thing they seem to be pushing more these days are "Wrestlemania moments". I just think that by having to state on screen that were witnessing a Wrestlemania moment that it takes away from it. Just my two cents. I don't feel like I need to be told ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

veganrun wrote: »
    How the hell does The Rock get up at 4 or 5am and do a mad workout then go filming or whatever he does for the day? I woke about 4am this morning, tossed and turned for a few hours before getting up and I've been wrecked all day!

I may ruffle a few feathers here, but I'm going to go ahead and say the Rock is in better physical condition than anyone on Boards. Or, indeed, almost anyone anywhere. He's in a high percentile, body-wise anyway. That and also he's probably used to that type of schedule. It's probably a bit easier than in wrestling where not only do you have to get the workouts in, but you have to check into hotels, rent cars, meet fans, go to the arena, plan the match, learn the promo, do the match, get stitches, go to the Dennys, get back to the hotel for 3 hours sleep, catch the plane and repeat in the next city. Compared to that, doing movies is probably a light schedule (for more money).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To add to that, the fact he's ****ing minted must make it a lot easier. He's earned it, like, I'm not begrudging him his millions, but it's not as if he's travelling Ryanair and staying in Travelodges either. The only thing I'd see as particularly difficult in doing his schedule would be trying to have a 'normal' life with family etc. The rest would be tough but ultimately massively rewarding, and therefore doable. To get to that point, the lion's share of the actual 'work' would be done on the way up when he was travelling and staying in ****boxes without the guarantee of any success. Now he never wants for a thing and enjoys the finest comforts of life in every little thing he does. You'd live with that. And he's earned it all, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

The Rock is a sellout who left the business that made him at the ripe age of 33. This is coming from a big big fan of his but let's not forget about him shooting from the hip about Stone Cold walking out of the WWE and how the WWE was in his blood, but skip forward a few years and he snubs the 15th anniversary of Raw. I'll link you a video which explains my problems with The Rock but granted I am a big fan.

https://youtu.be/OD4mXxboaMQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

He left WWE and now he's arguably the biggest action movie star about. Fair play to him.

There really is no such thing as a sell out in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

His WWE contract ran out and he didn't renew. he's made WWF 100x what he's been paid and was a model employee. Not sure how you'd begrudge a guy for wanting to try his hand at becoming a Hollywood megastar. I hope you have the same dislike for Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan and the rest. Only different rock is extremely successful at it.
    Would be a bit much to hold a scripted line against him. Btw most people skipped raw XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You are a wrestler. You accomplish everything there is to accomplish in wrestling. Do you...

a) Stay in wrestling, making good money, but at great personal risk to your health?

or

b) Take on a new role in movies, making fantastic money, at far less personal risk to your health?

Choosing option B doesn't make a person a sell-out. It makes them sensible.

The Rock owes wrestling fans nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

The steroids help too.

His physique helps make him millions, of course he's going to do all he can to stay in the best shape possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I don't think there's been any substantiated proof that Dwayne Johnson takes steroids. Even if he does, that's his own decision. The term sell-out is fairly redundant. He was in WWE!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He's been at the last 4 WrestleManias, wrestling matches at two of them. He's a genuine Hollywood star and made man and certainly doesn't need the money, yet comes back to the world of fake fighting where I doubt there's much in the way of credibility with the A-List. Chap is a legend and seems gracious despite his superstardom. I wasn't even a massive Rock fan at the time, but I certainly respect Dwayne Johnson. The only time he sold out was when he joined the Corporation, jabroni.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Have to agree. The Rock is not a sell out. He has a genuine love of the business, and this is why he keeps returning. He knows his worth in the vast majority of fans eyes.

He was dead right to do what he did, and most of the other wrestlers would have taken the exact same path, if offered

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How can anyone be a sellout in wrestling?

Vince McMahon has and will continue to throw wrestlers on the scrap heap if they down make money for him fair play to any wrestler that can make more of himself away from wrestling.

Speaking of wrestlers going to Hollywood, what do you think prevented Hogan from becoming a top star there? It seems his career never really hit the heights he'd have liked, with Rocky 3 really being his highlight, along with a handful of dodgy action movies.

briany wrote: »
    Speaking of wrestlers going to Hollywood, what do you think prevented Hogan from becoming a top star there? It seems his career never really hit the heights he'd have liked, with Rocky 3 really being his highlight, along with a handful of dodgy action movies.

I think it's likely a combo of bad advice, career suicide with role selection, and the attraction of the cash he was making in the WWF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He can't act?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He can't act?

Maybe, but you could level that accusation at many action stars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He can't act?

Hogan said once that he turned down a powerful director who was gay. Brother.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    Hogan said once that he turned down a powerful director who was gay. Brother.

Jack

Has a single honest word really ever come out of the mouth of Hogan.

Has a single honest word really ever come out of the mouth of Hogan.

I won't hear a bad word said about the Metallica Bassist, 6 foot 9, 1000lb bodyslamming biggest draw in the wrestling business, with the largest arms in the world. Dude:P:P:P

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I won't hear a bad word said about the Metallica Bassist, 6 foot 9, 1000lb bodyslamming biggest draw in the wrestling business, with the largest arms in the world. Dude:P:P:P

Don't forget the original choice for the Foreman Hogan Grill Brother

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I don't think there's been any substantiated proof that Dwayne Johnson takes steroids. Even if he does, that's his own decision. The term sell-out is fairly redundant. He was in WWE!

No proof but he is a 43 year old man who looks like he could **** out his year old self. That is not down to good genetics and weights alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I don't think there's been any substantiated proof that Dwayne Johnson takes steroids. Even if he does, that's his own decision.

Come on, of course he uses them. Not judging him either, i'm sure he's as safe with it as it's possible to be given the resources and expertise he has access to.

But yeah, you need steroids to maintain the kind of physique he has.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hard to not think he did for Pain & Gain whether he does in general or not

1151606-the-rock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Of course he does in general. It's not even up for discussion. They all do, both wrestlers and any male actor in an action film now.

It's not news, they need to for their jobs and they are competitive enough to do what it takes, that's why they are at that level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I've read that cosmetic surgery is common among actors in Hollywood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Like all good Hollywood stars Dwayne got his tits done before his big break :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement