Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Come to think of it, they still have Joey Styles on the payroll I think. Why in the name of Jesus (Of Los Boricuas) is he still running WWE.com and not soing what he does best? I hope Trips sorts out the commentary situation next.

Joey said he never wants to do commentary again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

uwwedoogie wrote: »
    Joey said he never wants to do commentary again.

Suppose he can't be blamed, if he has Vince in his ear, telling him to tell stories about the superstars, rather than calling the moves in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

To be honest, I think that Cole has a decent commentator in him. It's just that the WWE seem to insist that he, Lawlor and JBL promote other content during matches. I just wish that they'd revert to play-by-play commentary (naturally with a colour commentator) and reserve their story telling, bickering, etc. to the 20 - 30 seconds bridge between matches. If you look at the old Smackdown tapes when Tazz used to be on colour, it's clear that Cole has it in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the peak as a wrestling fan for me is still the hhh vs taker wrestlemania at mania 28. fantastic and best story told within a ring since i start watching wrestling in 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Was just watching Austin vs Hart from Wrestlemania 13 on YouTube again. Austin did a modified Black Widow. Instead of standing like AJ, he lay down. But the hold itself was otherwise identical. Not a move I associated with Austin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Yeah I think that's a grounded octopus stretch. Funnily enough Kaitlyn did that move once on NXT before AJ started using it as a finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It's scary to think that on this day 8 years ago, one of the all-time greats technical wrestlers passed away. We miss you every day Eddie, RIP. Viva La Raza

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

He lied, cheated and stole my heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

8 years. Feck. :(

The list of people Angle has made tap out is something else.

Hulk Hogan (his only tap out in WWF/E), John Cena (twice!), the Undertaker (his only time), Kane (first time ever), Stone Cold (only person to do it solo, Benoit/Jericho double team is the only other time he tapped), Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, The Rock (post match but still tapped), Shawn Michaels, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Sting, Mick Foley (his only time), Rey Mysterio, Big Show, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Jeff Hardy, Rob Van Dam..... the list goes on and on.

A cookie for whoever notices the one big (or at least, the biggest) name missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Hulk Hogan (his only tap out in WWF/E), John Cena (twice!), the Undertaker (his only time), Kane (first time ever), Stone Cold (only person to do it solo, Benoit/Jericho double team is the only other time he tapped), Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, The Rock (post match but still tapped), Shawn Michaels, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Sting, Mick Foley (his only time), Rey Mysterio, Big Show, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Jeff Hardy, Rob Van Dam..... the list goes on and on.

A cookie for whoever notices the one big (or at least, the biggest) name missing.

The Mediocre Great Khali

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

I'll say Ric Flair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

4sl2n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

'Taker's 'tap-out' technically occurred as/after the match ended - he has still never lost a match by submission.

Angle and Flair would have rarely crossed paths. From those he wrestled often, it was Triple H.
    uwwedoogie wrote: »
    'Taker's 'tap-out' technically occurred as/after the match ended - he has still never lost a match by submission.

It was the finish. It resulted in a draw. He tapped out, but didnt lose. It still counts as a tap out which is what the list was. It wasnt who Angle has beaten by tap out. He never beat Triple H, Undertaker or Rock by tap out, but has made two of the three tap out.

Angle and Flair would have rarely crossed paths. From those he wrestled often, it was Triple H.

They did rarely cross paths but you never mentioned that. Flair and Angle woo off, that was legendary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I really liked when Jim Cornette used to do those worked shoots on Raw, probably one of the best guys ever on the mic in pro wrestling.

nazmoalex wrote: »
    They did rarely cross paths but you never mentioned that. Flair and Angle woo off, that was legendary!

Thought Triple H, a man Angle feuded with for several years, would be much more obvious than a short segment here and there with Flair. As far as I can recall, they only wrestled each other once in a nothing match on Raw. A couple of months later Angle was sent to Smackdown, then ECW before he left for TNA. Flair only had a handful of matches himself in TNA, I dont he faced Angle in any. If you're going to hold Flair over Angle, then you have to add the likes of Goldberg, someone I dont think Angle ever faced.

Scratch that, Angle made Flair tap at a TNA house show on 23rd September 2010.

Scratch that, Angle made Flair tap at a TNA house show on 23rd September 2010.

Cool beans man. I just saw the list and you asked for a big name, Flair came to mind. HHH was way more obvious I just didn't think of him. Nice stat anyway!

Getting back on track, my random wrasslin' thoughts at the minute are I think WWE missed a trick by not bringing back the War Games this fall. Dusty was back and he could have played a part in setting it up. Either at Hell In A Cell or Survivor Series would have worked. Maybe next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

LOTD wrote: »
    I really liked when Jim Cornette used to do those worked shoots on Raw, probably one of the best guys ever on the mic in pro wrestling.

He'd definitely be in my top 5 mic workers of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

nazmoalex wrote: »
    Getting back on track, my random wrasslin' thoughts at the minute are I think WWE missed a trick by not bringing back the War Games this fall. Dusty was back and he could have played a part in setting it up. Either at Hell In A Cell or Survivor Series would have worked. Maybe next year :)

I read somewhere that Triple H wanted to introduce War Games but ultimately came up with The Elimination Chamber instead.

Cant see Vince signing off on using a WCW match of that magnitude.

Cant see Vince signing off on using a WCW match of that magnitude.

If he could see it making money, Vince will sign away no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Jericho?

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Jericho?

I thought that myself, but don't recall them facing each other all that often once Angle started using the Ankle Lock. He could be one of the few to avoid it, but Triple H is definitely the big one considering how often they faced each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Someone on the Q&A thread asked about the cruiserweight belt being brought back, I had a thought on how they could do it - have someone like Hunico (after some build up and with the cheating help of Camacho) win the United States title from a heavyweight Face - say Big E Langston, who looks like a potential candidate to win it from Ambrose.

You can probably see where this is going, Have Hunico refuse to defend it against Big E Langston, precisely because he's too big and heavy. Boxers weigh-in within ounces of each other - so should his opponents. Then have him continuously duck fights until Brad Maddox or whatever comes to an agreement on an upper weight limit.

Multiple problems solved in the sense that the U.S title is garbage anyway, the Intercontinental title gets a minor boost because its seen as a belt for 'heavyweights' and we have a cruiserweight division.

I'm sure this idea has been done before - possibly even in the WWE, but there's no reason why they couldn't do it again. It repurposes a useless belt into something that can open the show and give Evan Bourne his long awaited return!

JrdanB wrote: »
    Someone on the Q&A thread asked about the cruiserweight belt being brought back, I had a thought on how they could do it - have someone like Hunico (after some build up and with the cheating help of Camacho) win the United States title from a heavyweight Face - say Big E Langston, who looks like a potential candidate to win it from Ambrose.

You can probably see where this is going, Have Hunico refuse to defend it against Big E Langston, precisely because he's too big and heavy. Boxers weigh-in within ounces of each other - so should his opponents. Then have him continuously duck fights until Brad Maddox or whatever comes to an agreement on an upper weight limit.

Multiple problems solved in the sense that the U.S title is garbage anyway, the Intercontinental title gets a minor boost because its seen as a belt for 'heavyweights' and we have a cruiserweight division.

I'm sure this idea has been done before - possibly even in the WWE, but there's no reason why they couldn't do it again. It repurposes a useless belt into something that can open the show and give Evan Bourne his long awaited return!

You couldn't bring back the cruiserweight title back now, considering some of WWE main event talent could be consider cruiserweight wrestlers.

I remember seeing a shoot interview with Gregory Helms, he said the cruiserweight belt lost any meaning when he faced Mysterio who at the time was World Heavyweight champion, Helms was 6 inches taller and outweighed him by like 50 pounds.

It just couldn't work in todays wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Well, not every cruiserweight would have to challenge for the cruiserweight title - when was the last time John Cena challenged for the Intercontinental Title...? He's eligible, it doesn't mean he's ever going to fight for it - it was a shock seeing him even going for the WHC!

JrdanB wrote: »
    Well, not every cruiserweight would have to challenge for the cruiserweight title - when was the last time John Cena challenged for the Intercontinental Title...? He's eligible, it doesn't mean he's ever going to fight for it - it was a shock seeing him even going for the WHC!

cruiserweight doesn't mean anything anymore IMO, hornswoggle was the last cruiserweight champion obviously WWE saw it as a less than nothing belt by the end.

Title's merely represent your standing on a card, they are not legit titles. John Cena is going to be in the main event regardless of title, CM Punk was WWE champion for 13 months or so yet only only headline 3 ppvs in that time, all with John Cena.

• Advertisement

It's funny when Bret Hart and Ric Flair have a go at each other for whatever reasons, yet I find their ring style to be incredibly similar (not sure if they have ever trashed each others wrestling ability)

This only popped into my head the other day while watching WWE vintage collection, I saw a match in which the Harlem Heat and Marcus Bagwell and whoever his partner at the was, this was 95. That Bagwell went from looking lean and in great shape to absolutely jacked in about a year or so, he must have been on something. Not singling him out just happen to see that match and couldn't believe the difference, like The Rock in pain and gain, the muscle gained just looked unnatural. Has anybody else seen this kind of transformation before, can it be natural.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement