Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Two good entertaining shows in a row? Midcard titles matter? Ambrose in the title picture?

BIZARRO! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I wonder if people don't mind Kane and The Big Show being so prominent, year after year. Considering their match & feud quality you'd expect a big backlash from the internet but they get off practically scot free.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They get ''please retire'' chants from smart fans though. Big Show is my most hated act in general. Can't stand him, and not in a good heel heat way, just wish he'd f*ck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Yeah they get plenty of hate I really don't see how someone could think otherwise.

Omackeral wrote: »
    They get ''please retire'' chants from smart fans though. Big Show is my most hated act in general. Can't stand him, and not in a good heel heat way, just wish he'd f*ck off.

I'm glad to hear it! I think I'm going insane when I see people praising Kane and Big Show, and 20-minute opening monologues. Like maybe my bar is set too high even though I feel I'm constantly lowering it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear it! I think I'm going insane when I see people praising Kane and Big Show, and 20-minute opening monologues. Like maybe my bar is set too high even though I feel I'm constantly lowering it.

I suppose for a certain demographic of very relaxed viewers they are a draw. Personally I like both of them. Though I'd rather have Big Show doing something like when he was a tag team with the Miz.

jaykhunter wrote: »

I actually went off on one about him a while back. Here's it is transcribed...

Big Show. F*cking Big Show.

What an absolute drain this guy is. Let's start with his god awful ring name. Big Show/The Big Show. Sorry, but that's crap. It's stupid. It sucks. The Big Show? What is that?! Maybe as a nickname like ''Showtime'' Eric Young it could sound ok i.e. "The Big Show'' Paul Wight. I think they actually started with that. Ugh. Gick.

Then there's his entrance music. ''Weeeeelllllllll, it's a p*ss break!!!''. There is nothing more effective to get me up off my feet (and NOT in a good way) than hearing this self introduced tune kicking off. I hate it. Beyond stale and annoying.

His offence looks terrible. The KO punch is alright admittedly but that's newish. That headbutt where he covers an opponents head and proceeds to loaf his own pudgy hand is one of the most embarrassing moves in pro wrestling. His selling is equally as bad as he's too big to look like it's doing anything. Bumbling mess.

Then there's the turns. Oh god there's the turns. He's got more than Silverstone and it doesn't look like stopping... HE DID IT AGAIN ON SMACKDOWN! He's had in excess of 20 face/heel turns. Look here:

Quote:
    – A few months after entering the WWE he wound up in a feud with Mick Foley. Following the feud, he KO’d Vince McMahon and joined the Union to fight the Corporation.

– Show winds up turning heel again four months later and forms a tag team with The Undertaker feuding with Kane and X-Pac

– Less than three months later Show turns face during the infamous “Big Show Father is Dead” storyline and feuds with Prince Albert and the Big Bossman.

– Three months after Show turns face he turns heel again at the Royal Rumble where he wound up getting into it with The Rock. Show was eliminated by The Rock in the Rumble which started a feud between the two.

– Immediately after WrestleMania Show starts doing those goofy impersonations of other wrestlers (Showster, Showkishi) which of course turned him babyface. He wound up feuding with Shane McMahon.

– Two months after losing to Shane at Judgment Day Show turned heel again. Show acted as if he was going to go after Shane McMahon but instead wound up attacking The Undertaker.

– Show turns babyface again, pledging loyalty to the WWE throughout the Invasion angle and feuded specifically with Shane once again.

– Show turns heel again right after WrestleMania X-8. Show attacks Steve Austin and joins the n.W.o.

– The Big Show returns after a lengthy injury-related absence and turns babyface once again after choosing to wrestle Kurt Angle at No Mercy 2004.

– The Big Show is drafted over to ECW and becomes the top heel in the company. Show winds up winning the title after Paul Heyman turns on Rob Van Dam.

– The Big Show seemingly turned babyface when he returned at No Way Out in 2008 only to turn back heel immediately by attacking Rey Mysterio thus turning twice in one night.

– Show winds up turning babyface over the course of the next few weeks when WWE fans reject Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the babyface in their feud.

– Show goes heel again in a few months after aligning himself with Vickie Guerrero in her feud against The Undertaker. Show attacked Undertaker at Unforgiven and began interfering in his matches.

– Show teases another babyface turn when he winds up with a spot on Team RAW. Show actually winds up turning on Team RAW to reveal he was a SmackDown guy all along. So in a sense he never really turned since he was a heel in the place.

– In April 2010 The Big Show KO’s The Miz after they lost the unified tag team championship which immediately turns him babyface (of course!)

– The Big Show returns after a lengthy absence in May 2012 with an “ironclad” contract as the henchmen of John Laurinaitis and begins a feud with John Cena.

– In March 2013 The Big Show helps Randy Orton and Sheamus against The Shield turning him somewhat babyface although this was never a full-fledged turn.

- Show “turns heel” (if you consider his alliance with Sheamus and Orton an turn) and KO’s Orton and Sheamus after losing a six-man tag team match to The Shield at WrestleMania 29.

– Show returns from another lengthy absence and continues his feud with The Shield and thus makes a full-fledged babyface turn aligning with Mark Henry.

– Show turned twice in one night once again in October when he KO’s Daniel Bryan at Battleground only to turn around and turn babyface once again by KO’ing Randy Orton.

The Big Show turns on Team Cena at the Survivor Series, KO’ing Cena and walking off of the team to join The Authority.

I hate seeing him. He hasn't been relevant or exciting in literally years. He's lost weight but he's still no use. They can never decide if he's a walking punchline or a killer. Is he a feared giant or a comedy character. I just don't care anymore.

His alliance/rivalry with Kane is for another day but those two in the Rumble pretty much brought me to as close to the brink of quitting as possible. Surely Bad News Barrett or Luke Harper (Or Cesaro pre- Tyson Kidd) would be a better choice as henchmen as they have worked with the Authority in the past and are fresher, more talented, relevant and pretty much directionless.

In summary, f*ck off Big Show.

Awesome post, Omackeral, well done.

I think part of why I find it so disagreeable is Show and Kane are hanging around the main event; constant backstage segments with Kane and the Authority; and Reigns feuding with Big Show. Reigns is having a tough time as it as without having to feud with these lads! Definitely shoving him in a tag team would be perfect (well, firing him would be perfect)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm probably jinxing it now, but haven't seen Show in a while. Where is he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm probably jinxing it now, but haven't seen Show in a while. Where is he?

Selling his loss to Reigns.

Will probable return soon and beat all the tag teams in the Elimination Chamber match in a handicap match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm expecting him to be the one to ground Neville

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Big Show will be back in a few weeks as Face/Heel/CryBaby with an ironclad contract that won't be so ironclad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You can get good mileage out of sarcastically cheering on Kane and Big Show to wind people up.
    Just realised Tama Tonga's facepaint replicates the scream mask.....it took me too long to notice this •_•

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

briany wrote: »
    Hulk Hogan is probably the most overall recognisable name ever to come out of wrestling, I think, if you go from ages 8 to 88. Everybody knows who Hulk Hogan is, even if they never watched a wrestling match in their life. It's fashionable to talk a bit of s*it about him and his much attested to ego, but it's really hard to argue with that kind of success and charisma.
    I love the character of Hulk Hogan. He was the champion for much of my childhood. Anything I have heard of him in real life is rather dubious but not the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

People always talk about wrestlers who politicked their way to the top and stayed there. I don't think any wrestler has made their way to a lasting top spot without playing that game, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

People always talk about wrestlers who politicked their way to the top and stayed there. I don't think any wrestler has made their way to a lasting top spot without playing that game, though.

True, in fact I think it's actually encouraged by the powers that be. That if someone didn't play the game, they'd be less likely to succeed as a opposed to someone who outright plays it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Dear Chris Jericho,

Nobody cares about your band. There's nothing worse than reading an awesome chapter about Wrestling in your books only for it to be followed up with a chapter about how you did a gig and went drinking over and over again.

Yours,
    Me.

Dear Chris Jericho,

Nobody cares about your band. There's nothing worse than reading an awesome chapter about Wrestling in your books only for it to be followed up with a chapter about how you did a gig and went drinking over and over again.

Yours,
    Me.

Yeah, but that's why you skip. Skip in the podcast, skip in the book etc. Let him waffle all he wants about his band that way. As long as he's putting out good wrestling-related content beside it, I'm happy out.

His last book was terrible because of it.

I'm not into music at all really but I enjoyed his tales of the band tours abroad. It kinda goes full circle again with him marking out for his heroes as he meets them. I liked all his books.

My random thought is that books by wrestlers who have done the territories are savage because you get a sense of the different quirks of each town/area but those who have gone international (as in lived abroad) are the finest. Love hearing about Jericho in Japan and Mexico etc. You learn so much about the local customs and ways of life from these books and you are hardly expecting education from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

His last book was terrible because of it.

Ya i hated the book. Gave up his podcast too. Taking half an hour to get to the point of the show after:
    • Nature box
    • Me Undies
    • Fozzy Shyte song of the half week
    • Amazon Canada Eh?
    • Everybodys goin Amazon - Amazon USA (hahaha)
    • True Car Certified Dealer
    • Top of the Pah Gae
    • Cowbell playing
    • The crap India thing
    • The fact we Shwas his podcast out of the millions of podcasts

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ya i hated the book. Gave up his podcast too. Taking half an hour to get to the point of the show after:
    • Nature box
    • Me Undies
    • Fozzy Shyte song of the half week
    • Amazon Canada Eh?
    • Everybodys goin Amazon - Amazon USA (hahaha)
    • True Car Certified Dealer
    • Top of the Pah Gae
    • Cowbell playing
    • The crap India thing
    • The fact we Shwas his podcast out of the millions of podcasts

Do people not know how to use the seek bar?

I think Jericho's the best around when it comes to the interview portion of his podcasts. It would be a shame for people not to hear that just because they couldn't be bothered skipping over the waffle.

And it's 'Egypt', not 'India' ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Do people not know how to use the seek bar?

I think Jericho's the best around when it comes to the interview portion of his podcasts. It would be a shame for people not to hear that just because they couldn't be bothered skipping over the waffle.

And it's 'Egypt', not 'India' ;).

I know how to use the seek bar. His interviews aren't the best around. By a long way. And I could care less if it's Egypt. It's still crap.

I was just waiting on the snarky seek bar comment. The point is, I shouldn't need to use the seek bar. I never need to use it with Austin, JR, Roddy Piper or any other podcast I subscribe to.

Lot of the things he says annoy me. Saying Pah Gae instead of Page ad previously mentioned, the f*cking cowbell bit and the fact that it's now his intro. This is a nitpick, couple of weeks ago he was advertising Flowers for Mother's Day and kept saying mum instead of mom or mother. You can tell he's forcing himself to say it, probably because he wishes he was English. Also that thing he does with the guy with the demonic voice is idiotic.

Love Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast though,that is excellent.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I know how to use the seek bar. His interviews aren't the best around. By a long way. And I could care less if it's Egypt. It's still crap.

I was just waiting on the snarky seek bar comment. The point is, I shouldn't need to use the seek bar. I never need to use it with Austin, JR, Roddy Piper or any other podcast I subscribe to.

I feel the need to use it on all of those people. JR is a horrible man for wittering on sometimes about stuff I don't care about whether it be Oklahoma/college/NFL football, outdated opinions or the products he plugs. They all do it to an extent in one way or another. They're free podcasts, so I have absolutely no problem using the seek bar on anything. It's a great deal - free content and skippable ads, so I don't feel entitled to say "I shouldn't have to use the seek bar" as it's nothing of a price to pay. Enjoy it while it lasts.

(Although I do try to listen to the ads once. Support the podcast and all that, but I can skip if I hear them launching into the same spiel again.)

Almost 8 Years since the Benoit incident, poor b*astard.

Almost 8 Years since the Benoit incident, poor b*astard.

I'd go with Option B here

B) Poor Nancy and Daniel

Look, I'm not just saying this because it's coming close to his anniversary but in my view this is the greatest Wrestlemania moment ever. I don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame and his actions were inexcusable but let's put negatives aside and appreciate his dedication to Pro Wrestling, the thing that he lived and died for.

2004.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

He was a master of his craft, and it seemed like he could work with anyone. He should have achieved that WrestleMania moment a lot earlier than it happened for him as well I thought. However, I'm not sure if it's the greatest WrestleMania moment there ever was now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement