Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Look, I'm not just saying this because it's coming close to his anniversary but in my view this is the greatest Wrestlemania moment ever. I don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame and his actions were inexcusable but let's put negatives aside and appreciate his dedication to Pro Wrestling, the thing that he lived and died for.

I dunno, I feel uneasy with any calls to 'appreciate' anything a murderer has done. It's kinda like saying, "I may not have agreed with Hitler's policy on Jewish people, but man he could build a road." He ruined his own legacy when he killed his wife and kid. That's on him (and yes, I know we can open that up to a wider discussion, but let's not).

I think we've all come to a place where we can enjoy his artistic output and acknowledging his skill without necessarily endorsing the man behind it. But it's pushing it a bit to say he doesn't get the credit he deserves, or anything along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

He's in the Attitude Era book that just came out recently, as they have a section on all of the different factions that happened during the period, and he's shown with the Radicals. I have no issue with him being shown in that sort of context. I think they should have put the WrestleMania XX main event on Shawn Michaels' Mr. WrestleMania DVD, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

leggo wrote: »
    But it's pushing it a bit to say he doesn't get the credit he deserves, or anything along those lines.

When did anyone say he doesn't get enough credit? Agree with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The WWE network is touted as Award Winning, but what awards has it won?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Slammy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I found it. They won 2 awards last month (maybe they won more, which would explain why they've been calling it the award-winning WWE Network for a while now) at the fourth annual Cynopsis Sports Media Awards (2015 Sports Media Awards Winners & Honorable Mentions) :
    "Over the top (OTT) Content Service" and "Overall Social Media Excellence".
    I'm kinda suspicious of the wording used - "Over the Top" is how WWE describe the Network. I did more digging, and neither award was given out last year (the closest is just "Overall Social Media"). WWE lost in categories specifically mentioning Facebook, twitter etc so they seem like mutually beneficial awards, so WWE Network and Cynopsis can advertise each other...

18131107072_cea6859a9c_o.png

Surprised they didn't count winning the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence!

Is wrestling just blacklisted when it comes to real television awards and accolades? I have a friend who does a lot of television work and he always says that as far as he can see, their work is top of the range. For all the visibility wrestling has gained since the 1980s and recognition of the top stars etc. it still seems to exist largely in a sphere on its own, some sort of strange oddity that people know is there, but if they don't like it, they can't for the world understand why anyone watches such a thing. Sorry, I went a little bit on a tangent there, but perhaps that will make sense to someone who reads it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Really impressed by this article. More interesting than you would initially think:

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/603281955577176064

If you are studying marketing in College check it out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Renee Dupree was WWE Tag Team Champion at the age of 19.

I'm sitting here in my boxers eating a bowl of Coco Pops at age 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

2004.jpg

Just out of curiosity, but is there a picture of this but with Chris Benoit taken out of the picture? i could have sworn there was a picture of this, but with Benoit blacked out, or replaced by Daniel Bryan.

I have an idea for something later on in the year, and would really like to have something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ambrose's clothesline is currently my most hated move in wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

J. Marston wrote: »

I said the same a few weeks back. I preferred Ambrose when he legit seemed to be the unstable one in The Shield. Now he's got merch with 'Unstable' on it, everything about the gimmick just seems... forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The first time he did it on Rollins it was brilliant; it was natural, unexpected & Rollins made it look like a Bradshaw classic. I still remember my reaction to it, I showed the gif of it to my casual wrestling friends and they loved it too. Every one since has been forced & awkward, a lot have looked weak. I really really want him to stop doing it now, or at least stop shoehorning the move into every match.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's the new 619 where the setup is just stupid and unnatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Omackeral wrote: »

But the question is did you or the bowl of cereal go over ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Omackeral wrote: »

Yea but I doubt you have the sh*t tattoos that Dupree has now so in the end you win :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I like the Ambrose clothesline. You know it's coming at this stage but it never fails to make me chuckle. Exactly like the Flair Flop really.

I mean if you're going level accusations of repetitiveness then you must hate Bryan's yes shtick at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've been training for a marathon recently by running 10-12k every couple of nights and I have a playlist of songs for when I do so. 3 of these songs are what I would call "Wrestling songs" and randomly they all seem to be one after another at around the point that I am coming to the end or imaginary finish line of the 10/12k. After hearing My sacrafice by creed and my way by Limp Bizkit it's really hard not to be thinking about Wrestling when Imagine Dragons - Monster starts playing and also hard not to start yessing as I come to that imaginary finish line with D Bryan's WM XXX theme playing.

got some mad looks the last time when I gave in to the urge and did it, the two old Taiwanese joggers I yessed passed had no idea what was going on.

love that video, one of the best in recent years for me similarily to the My Way Rock / Austin one.

edit: and yeah the Ambrose clothesline which can be a great little move now seems forced and often telegraphed to the extent that it just seems terrible if the opponent is fooled by his business with the ropes. That said I now really like when the opponent sees it coming and instead Ambrose is the one layed out

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, but is there a picture of this but with Chris Benoit taken out of the picture? i could have sworn there was a picture of this, but with Benoit blacked out, or replaced by Daniel Bryan.

I have an idea for something later on in the year, and would really like to have something like that.

I tried searching for it and can't find it, you could maybe put a request for someone to do it on the Reddit wrestling thread www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle

Baffles me that Chris Masters is only 32, and that Test was only 33 when he passed in 2009 meaning he was 22 or 23 when he debuted in 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Saw someone called Jomo a glorified spot monkey in the ecw championship yoke. Whilst he has no mic ability he is one of the most smooth/fluid performers in the ring. Anyone should watch his matches against Prince Puma(richohet) or Alberto Del Rio in Lucha Underground. He is a top performer in the ring.

Though I did have to laugh. Glorified spot monkey. RVD?

Not an attack on the poster. Just disagree. Would have voted RVD aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I've been training for a marathon recently by running 10-12k every couple of nights and I have a playlist of songs for when I do so. 3 of these songs are what I would call "Wrestling songs" and randomly they all seem to be one after another at around the point that I am coming to the end or imaginary finish line of the 10/12k. After hearing My sacrafice by creed and my way by Limp Bizkit it's really hard not to be thinking about Wrestling when Imagine Dragons - Monster starts playing and also hard not to start yessing as I come to that imaginary finish line with D Bryan's WM XXX theme playing.

got some mad looks the last time when I gave in to the urge and did it, the two old Taiwanese joggers I yessed passed had no idea what was going on.

love that video, one of the best in recent years for me similarily to the My Way Rock / Austin one.

edit: and yeah the Ambrose clothesline which can be a great little move now seems forced and often telegraphed to the extent that it just seems terrible if the opponent is fooled by his business with the ropes. That said I now really like when the opponent sees it coming and instead Ambrose is the one layed out

Legit goosebumps! Sasha Banks' theme song is another great fist bump song.

Best of luck with the marathon, go for the Yes! chant at the end anyway!!

I think the Yes! chant has transcended it's original setting for most open wrestling fans I know. I can only tolerate those songs when set to those videos though. "Even Jesus Hates Creed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Creed. Jesus. I was doing a music clear out from my itunes folder the other day and had a quick blast. I liked them 10 years ago, but bloody hell the music has not held up at all well.

Recycle bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"When you are with me I'm free. I'm careless, I believe"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gimmick wrote: »
    Creed. Jesus.

'nuff said!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Unrelated but tying it in with Gimmicks post about Creed, the only thing that came out of that band was 3/4 of Alter Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

And Alter Bridge are awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

This weeks Lucha Underground was savage!. Also hilarious segment at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Big Dave just put Rovert over on the twitter, dont think his credentials will be questioned on here again :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement