Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from AH by CMod for criticising Feminism

Options
  • 02-06-2013 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I made the mistake of talking about this in someone else's thread as he seems to have been banned for similar reasons.

I am not one to go running to someone's apron strings and frankly being banned from AH still gives me a free run of most of Boards, I also have umpteen Facebook pages and my Youtube Channel to spout off on.

In any case this ban came after I amongst others was discussing a very sensitive topic which had to deal with whether rape is always rape.

The general consensus of the women on there seemed to be that rape is rape (which of course is true though not particularly profound) and that the media vastly exaggerates the number of false accusations by women of this crime.

I and some others felt in turn that rape itself is a relatively rare crime and that the media and feminists in general seemed to overemphasise the danger of stranger rape over that by an intimate partner.

I also pointed out that the situation wasn't helped by modern feminists who invented the misnomer "rape culture" which in my ever humble opinion is an attempt to stifle free speech where feminists perceive it somehow endorses or trivialises violence towards women. I felt this was counterproductive as the very fact that a rude joke has nothing to do with sexual violence means it would be in fact more likely to trivialise the act of rape as it exists in a much more serious category than inappropriate humour.

I was called a rape apologist for saying even this much.

I also did call several of the women on the thread sweetheart but frankly I am sure they have been called worse and compared to what they were calling me...(!) I do appreciate this could be seen as patronising but frankly I don't think it oversteps the bounds of polite discussion and really even if anyone feels what I said was too much of an insult to their vast intelligence, that wouldn't make what I was saying any more or less true, so it really doesn't affect the topic at hand.

As I said, I don't need to use boards.ie as a Soap Box for my views, I've said them before elsewhere and will keep on saying them but I would never even try to censor a Feminist because she believed I was in the wrong - indeed quite a number of them visit the Men's Rights pages on Facebook and flame us for even campaigning against sexism against men in the first place. I'm still here. :-)

As such, I don't want the admin to even consider wielding the Ban Hammer against this Category Mod - I think the kind of narrow mindedness their actions displayed is punishment enough but I hope I've clarified my position and that perhaps a more liberal interpretation of the site's policies will take place in future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

As memory serves I believe I also described Feminism as a "disease masquerading as its own cure."

Controversial I will admit - and I appreciate the site rules don't allow vague generalisations but I would have been more than happy to go into details of why I feel this way had I been given the opportunity.

I also used the term "Feminazi" -this is regrettable but I do try to draw a distinction between those women who genuinely want respect from and equal rights tp men and those who I feel have a misandric (man hating) agenda.

Believe me there are several other names I can think of for such people(!) but none I can repeat in polite company. I use the term in a tongue in cheek way but I do think as it's important to distinguish, for example between people who do evil in the name of religion as opposed to morally upright religious people, it's also important not to confuse those who do evil in the name of Feminism with genuine Feminists, who may I say are a dying breed. It's the 99% who spoil the reputation for the rest in my view. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Are you disputing the ban, or merely expounding your thoughts on Moderation? The former is the purpose of this forum, the latter isn't..

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Are you disputing the ban, or merely expounding your thoughts on Moderation? The former is the purpose of this forum, the latter isn't..

I am disputing the ban on the basis that the rules for moderation have been too narrowly applied. I am sorry that my complaint doesn't fit snugly into one category or the other but I feel that the CMod jumped the gun before I had a chance to explain myself more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Then one of the appropriate folks will review your post in due course.

Also received the following PM from the Mod when I asked what was going on:

Calling people sweetheart. Feminism is a disease. Use of the term feminazi. Basically throughout the thread being unnecessarily dismissive and insulting.

In future please bear in mind that after hours is better off without your input into any threads of this type.

I am left scratching my head. I don't particularly want to say anything on AH but I do dispute the reasons for this ban as well as the motives of the person dishing it out. This person is obviously the kind of Feminist I was talking about earlier and has decided to interpret the rules to suit their own purposes rather than for the benefit of everybody on the forum.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Then one of the appropriate folks will review your post in due course.

Thanks, I won't hold my breath but it can't hurt to ask I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi silentrust,

Attempting to troll a mod via pm isn't smart. It shows your intentions and how you wish to act on the forum.

AH is better off without posters with your tendencies.

I support the ban and would like if an Admin reviewed this matter at this time.

Thanks

Hi silentrust,

Attempting to troll a mod via pm isn't smart. It shows your intentions and how you wish to act on the forum.

AH is better off without posters with your tendencies.

I support the ban and would like if an Admin reviewed this matter at this time.

Thanks

I think the Mod in question was just being flirtatious and wanted to get my attention, I have no axe to grind. :-D

Many thanks to those people who've shown their support, I don't have the time to read through now but will do first thing tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This DR thread is a nonsense. Consider the ban upheld.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement