Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Took in these 2 little guys

• 02-06-2013 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Bit of advice needed.

We took in 2 strays yesterday (Friday). We found them outside my apartment in Dublin - they were wandering very close to a car park entrance and we were worried they'd get run over. We were out for hours looking for the mother, but couldn't find her anywhere, despite trying to coax her with Whiskas.

Anyway, here's the two little rugrats we've taken in - Newton and Darwin:

382309_10151740624120934_1902110985_n.jpg

270131_10151741333250934_1910339025_n.jpg

I'll take them to the vet on Tuesday to get them sorted out re: worming, vaccinations etc. and I guess knowing for sure what sex they are would also help!

I rehomed them today....to my family home in Kilkenny (plenty of green fields and less roads - I think they'll be much happier here!). It's surprisingly easy to smuggle kittens on Irish Rail, but that's another story.

Anyway, I've been feeding them warm Cat milk (lactose free) every 3 hours or so, and they lap it up - Darwin more so than Newton, but the latter is catching up! Afterwards, I encourage them to the pee/poop by holding them up and massaging their belly/anus with a warm, wet piece of tissue. They seem to really hate this, is this normal? It's doing the trick, although one of them hasn't pooped yet which is a concern, only peed.

I have them sleeping beside the stove on a bed of 2 hot water bottles which they seem very cosy. My only other concern is that we have a family dog - a little Westie - who is ridiculously excited to get to them. He was sniffing them earlier, and one of them took a swing at him. He then went to pull her about by the scruff of the neck / ear like he does with our regular cat, though she's a lot bigger and recognises it as the playing that it is. I'm worried he'll hurt the kittens.

The cat on the other hand, just hissed at them and ran away as the kittens hissed back. Any hints or tips for integrating them with the other 2 pets, or for raising these little guys in general?

Here's a couple of videos - first one is the two of them messing about, and the second one is Newton struggling to stay awake. Any guesses at what age they are? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

The dog will calm down soon and the kittens will stand up for themselves,a cheaper option might be trying to get some royal canin cat milk about €13 for a tub and you mix it up,should go further than the whiskas cat milk.
    Get a litter tray and put them on it after they have eaten and you'd be surprised how quickly they start using it and also get some kitten food and leave a little in a bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Try to avoid the whiskers cat milk, there's none of the nutrition they need in it.
    Plenty of fresh water, and as said above the royal canin kitten milk is great. It's a powder you mix up and replaces mothers milk.
    They look about 5 weeks but may be more, are their eyes pure blue or can you see the colour changing?
    That happens around 6wks, if that's happening I wouldn't worry about he milk at all, they'll be fine weaned onto solids.
    They are old enough for solid food, royal canin do a baby cat mousse for weaning, they also have baby cat dry food (400g bags 3 for 2 at mo in pet mania Kilkenny )
    You can soak this with a bit of water at first until they get the hang of it, then the kitten food in a few weeks.

They should be ok to poop themselves by now, but may need a clean after, also try putting them in a litter tray and scrape with their paws, they'll get it quick enough.
    If you're worried about the dog, can you get a lone of a dog crate off someone?
    I use one for kittens, I know they are safe when I can't supervise and at night. Put in a bed and litter tray, bowl of water and they'll be fine.
    Best of luck, great you got to them.

Also get a bottle of parazole wormer, comes in a yellow box, from the vet, ask for a syringe to dose them too, you weigh them and dose by weight. Do them straight away, then in 2 weeks, again a month later. Instructions are on the box, it's good gentle wormer for kittens, hardest part is getting it down their throats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have no advice to add, just wanted to say fair play to you, what a great news story for a Sunday morning. I wish there were more people like you around. Those little guys have really fallen on their feet meeting you. They are totally gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

ncmc wrote: »
    I have no advice to add, just wanted to say fair play to you, what a great news story for a Sunday morning. I wish there were more people like you around. Those little guys have really fallen on their feet meeting you. They are totally gorgeous!

Agree. And flippin 'eck that second video of kitty nodding off should come with a cuteness warning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Thanks guys, heading into Pet Mania shortly to pick up the above. Didn't have any kitty litter here, so picking up that too. Hand is scraped to bits from trying to get them to poo, hope they pick up the hang of it themselves!

Also, their eyes are VERY blue. Certainly not changing colour yet.

So on today's shopping list is Cat Litter, Royal Canin Kitten Milk (Powder) and Royal Canin Kitten Mousse. Should that be enough for now, or anything else I should get? Re: taking them to the vet, is it okay to wait until Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have tried many litters but find the best is the wood pellet stuff, and put the litter box on an old mat to prevent a trail of litter.
    Keep us updated, with photos.

Here's Newton shortly after the above video, after losing his battle to stay awake...

OmPue6jl.jpg

This is Rocky and the two of them finally getting used to each other...

wDe7fnfl.jpg

And here's where we found them. The curb in the bottom picture seperated the flower bed / shrubs from the entrance to a car park (we were standing/kneeling in the driveway) and they were able to climb over it.

tQ2vLQ0l.jpg
    vhTbfF7l.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have two comments, neither of which are helpful, just observations!
    I LOVE the names you've chosen for the kitties! Just.... Perfect! I LOVE nerdy sciencey names for pets!
    Secondly, the look on Rocky's face is absofeckinlutely hilarious! Ahhh, gotta love Westies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would say they are quite young indeed, not over 5 weeks anyway. They seem quite big, but I fostered a litter not too long ago and at 5 weeks they were about this size but much, much more nimble on their feet. Now that might be nothing since I'm sure they're all different, but I'd say they're a tad closer to 4 weeks old, which would explain the blue eyes!

And just to reward your Attachments of Insane Cuteness and excellent name choices, here is one of my litter after his fight to stay awake. To put in perspective, he's between a wall and a bookcase :rolleyes:

This is their new bed for now, I think they like it - been messing around since they got in there and the mirror is providing them with lots of intrigue! And they love that hat with the fluffy earflaps :)

YEt6KEfl.jpg

I've also found that having kittens on standby is a great way for guilt tripping my girlfriend into coming to visit me sooner than we had planned - sent her this earlier today :pac:

gHX12Ygl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Fair play OP, giving us all reason to smile this Bank Holiday weekend. :D

Such a shame ye couldn't find mum. She is probably stray or feral, and will go on to have many more kitties. :( Keep an eye out for her when you're back home. Spaying her would be the best gift you could ever give.

Agree these babes look about five weeks. No need to help them eliminate any more and they are ready to move onto semi-solid food. We use mushed up kitten wet food (ie pouches) or you can soak Royal Canin Baby Cat dry food and then gradually move them onto eating it dry. The little nuggets are teeny-tiny so perfect for kittens their age.

Re: the parazole - it's half 1ml per kilo body weight, for three consecutive days. If you have a flat electronic kitchen scales - perfect! Put a large dish on the scales and then set the unloaded weight to 0g. Pop your kitten in the dish and try and keep them fairly still. :D Then get out your calculator and multiply their bodyweight by 0.5 to get the dosage in ml.

Or if you are bringing them to the vets for a check up you can have the vet weigh them there. You'll need a 1ml syringe for the Parazole - the vet will give you one. Repeat dosing with the Parazole every two weeks to twelve weeks and once a month thereafter, or you can start them on monthly Milbemax once they're six weeks old. First vaccination at nine weeks.

They look great OP - I wouldn't worry too much about a vet visit just yet so long as you are worming them. Have a look in their ears for a lot of dirty waxy material, which might indicate earmites.

What amazingly lucky kittens!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

They are gorgeous! Well done for taking them in, too many people just look the other way.

boomerang wrote: »
    They look great OP - I wouldn't worry too much about a vet visit just yet so long as you are worming them

Thanks for the advice - but would I not need to get the Parazole from the vet or can it be got in pet stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

DBB wrote: »
    I have two comments, neither of which are helpful, just observations!
    I LOVE the names you've chosen for the kitties! Just.... Perfect! I LOVE nerdy sciencey names for pets!
    Secondly, the look on Rocky's face is absofeckinlutely hilarious! Ahhh, gotta love Westies!

if dogs could only talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Thanks for the advice - but would I not need to get the Parazole from the vet or can it be got in pet stores?

It can be got in most pet shops. Well done OP they are very cute :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I think sending that "I miss you" photo to your GF was a despicible act of blackmail :D

So well done on rescuing the kittens - nothing to add, other than that they certainly look spoiled and happy. Your good deed for the rest of the year - at least!

(oh, just a comment - if their mother was feral, they would have been a bit more wild/aggressive surely??) Oh and would be interested to hear how you got them from Dublin to Kilkenny on a train - bet your fellow passengers were well entertained!

aonb wrote: »
    (oh, just a comment - if their mother was feral, they would have been a bit more wild/aggressive surely??) Oh and would be interested to hear how you got them from Dublin to Kilkenny on a train - bet your fellow passengers were well entertained!

Yeah I thought they would run away too, but I guess the fact they're barely able to run 5 yards without falling over, and the fact I live (they used to live) in a heavily populated area meant they weren't too scared/able to run away.

I brought them down in a shoebox with the lid taken off, inside of one of those giant orange Superdry bags - like the one at the back here. It's deep enough that no one could peer in, and they were nice and snug in there. Smuggling kittens is easy! :D

Superdry-bags-being-carri-010.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Aw, they're beautiful! Mrs. Raphael knows a fair bit about cat integration, so I'm parking her in front of the keyboard:

Not that long ago, I had to integrate a kitten into a house full of 4 adult cats. The first step is to give the kittens their own area (i.e. "safe zone"). This designated area will help them to establish their own territory and will help your cat adjust to the sudden impact on his territory. Next step is to rub a sock on the kittens and pet the cat with it and vice versa (this allows each to get used to the other's scent with minimal contact -- a hand towel would also work). Then allow them to interact minimally (I've always done this via the crack under the door). Finally, allow the kittens to wander out into the cat's turf under supervision. It's better that they enter his turf than he intrude on their safe space.

TL;DR - Take it slow, start with smells and then let them slowly but surely see more of each other.

Also, from both of us, if you suspect Mommy is a feral cat in the area where you found them, getting in touch with Feral Cats Ireland might be a good idea - they do TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release), which will save her from leaving any more bundles of joy around the place.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to watching that video on repeat

Thanks to the Raphael's for that great advice - that sock idea is genius! Gonna give it a go now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Glad to help!

• Advertisement

I think Newton approves of the new bed I got them :D Darwin is somewhere in at the back...

KiOsKhBl.jpg

Edit: I guess now I know what type of cat Darwin is.

A copycat....

IXuEj7fl.jpg

And it's hilarious watching them emerge from their cave. They don't exactly walk out, or even stumble out, they just roll out the entrance.

r2xOxXTl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

They are just adorable... I've never wanted to reach inside my computer screen so much. I would like to squidge them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

All my life I've been a "doggy" person but this cuties have got me grinning like a loon :D This is the best story of the weekend, by a long shot.

Fair play to you OP for taking them in - most people would have just walked on by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I see you're going to the Gaslight Anthem JaMarcus. Will you bring them with you so I can squeeze them? They are SO cute! :D

Fair play to ya for taking them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I see you're going to the Gaslight Anthem JaMarcus. Will you bring them with you so I can squeeze them? They are SO cute! :D

Fair play to ya for taking them in.

Ha, I was gonna say the exact same thing!!

They're so adorable, OP! Keep the pics coming :D

They're so adorable, OP! Keep the pics coming :D

If you insist! Darwin (the guy without the white on his face) wasn't really eating any of the food I was giving them, but he was hooked on milk so I had an idea. I threw 2 little bottles of whiskas cat milk into a blender with a packet of of the whiskas kitten wet food and blended it up, making what is essentially a cat milkshake (looks exactly like a chocolate milkshake!) and they absolutely love it! Pop a little bit in the microwave to heat it up for 5 seconds, and they go nuts for it.

And yes, that is the grease/fat-catcher from a George Foreman grill that they're eating out of. They make a great little cattle trough for kittens! :pac:

1ZtA0BAl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Wee dotes. They're lucky you found them - you're doing a great job. Fair play.

I think Newton approves of their new toy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

If you insist! Darwin (the guy without the white on his face) wasn't really eating any of the food I was giving them, but he was hooked on milk so I had an idea. I threw 2 little bottles of whiskas cat milk into a blender with a packet of of the whiskas kitten wet food and blended it up, making what is essentially a cat milkshake (looks exactly like a chocolate milkshake!) and they absolutely love it! Pop a little bit in the microwave to heat it up for 5 seconds, and they go nuts for it.

It might look like a chocolate milkshake but it doesn't smell like one :eek: I had to do this for some older sick kittens that i was syringe feeding and I must say it is THE most revolting smell.

Newton and Darwin are just gorgeous :D

• Advertisement

First worming done. They were NOT pleased.

Quick question re: feeding - how much should I be giving them and how often? I'm sure I'm giving them enough, I just don't want to give them too much is all. At the moment all they're having is the milk/wet food blend that I've been making them - each batch thicker than the last (more food, less milk) to try get them onto the wet food by itself. Only one of them will eat the dry food (nuts) :(

Also, what should I be looking to get done by the vet (apart from telling me if they're male/female!) ?

Advertisement