Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Took in these 2 little guys

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

First worming done. They were NOT pleased.

Quick question re: feeding - how much should I be giving them and how often? I'm sure I'm giving them enough, I just don't want to give them too much is all. At the moment all they're having is the milk/wet food blend that I've been making them - each batch thicker than the last (more food, less milk) to try get them onto the wet food by itself. Only one of them will eat the dry food (nuts) :(

Also, what should I be looking to get done by the vet (apart from telling me if they're male/female!) ?

Would need to get 1st vaccination done then 2nd in 3 weeks,just leave a bowl of nuts down and they'll soon be eating it just keep it away from litter tray as they prefer to eat away from where they go to toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

:)

Extra large credit on your karma account OP. Well done you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Biggest danger with young kittens is dehydration, add a bit of water to wet food, and try to get them drinking too.
    Vet will vaccinate around 6 weeks normally, but once they're wormed and eating well they'll do it.

P.s. I worm kittens in the bath, they can't run away and it's easy clean up. First dose isn't bad, wait until they bigger and stronger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

So, a week on and someone seems to have swapped the shy, bashful little creatures that we took in and replaced them with rowdy little louts who do nothing but trick and fight! They haven't been long making themselves at home - here's some of today's shenanigans...

Just thought I'd give a little update on these two.

Can't believe how big they've gotten in the space of a couple of weeks. Gone are the timid, shy little creatures who were scared to leave each other's side, and in their place are two bold little fúckers who scratch, scrape, bite and climb on everything.

I remember when they could barely climb out of a shoebox - I was in my room on the phone the other night, and came back into the living room to this (I was so proud!)...

WCwzpSLl.jpg

They also keep turning on my playstation!

I was woken this morning by noise coming from the side of my bed, rolled over and was greeted with this craic...

But despite all this, they still have their moments of cuteness. Sadly, it really only happens when they sleep!

7874_10151625357012052_65423457_n.jpg
    t39QsSrl.jpg
    bU91EySl.jpg
    Ea86CV3l.jpg

And yes, Darwin did fall asleep on my girlfriends feet in this next photo...

tPCW8jil.jpg

Food-wise, they're now eating the Royal Canin babycat nuts and drinking water. Every now and then, I'll give them a treat of Whiskas kitten wetfood or milk (or sometimes both blended together in a food processor - they love that). They use their litter tray, although only about 50% of time which is annoying, but they're getting better. And they now follow you everywhere, so when I'm leaving the apartment, I have to run because they try follow me out the door. And they love being around you - if you're in a separate room and the door is closed, they'll bawl their eyes out until you open the door, and when they come in all they'll do is sleep beside you (or mess about with your feet). They're moving back to Kilkenny next week where they'll have loads of countryside to roam about, I know they'll love it down there.

All in all, they're lots of trouble, but I wouldn't swap these two little bastards for the world! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Get them used to being brushed, OP. Would be great if they learn to enjoy it as they'll always need regular brushing to prevent mats, with those beautiful long coats!

Re: the litter tray, you could provide a few more than just one, in different parts of the house? Kittens that young I'd usually restrict to one room, in case they get caught short! :D

Weekly update time - as of yesterday, the kittens are back in Kilkenny - this time for good. Our dog Rocky is ridiculously protective of them. Our older cat hissed at them and he nearly took the head off of her. He constantly watches over them, and goes crazy if he's separated from them. Even when they're taking a nap, he just lies there beside them the whole time.

Exhibit A - watch what happens when you block his view of them.... (they're inside the box)...

Quick question - I wormed them 3 days in a row when I first got them, and I wormed them again just the once a few days ago. When should be their next dosage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

How do you get anything done in your house with all that damn cuteness going on?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    How do you get anything done in your house with all that damn cuteness going on?!

Lol, what a feelgood video! I was expecting to see that Rocky was being protective over them in a "don't mess with my breakfast" kinda way, but no, that is just hilarious! I've said it before, Rocky clearly hasn't read the "Cats and How We Hate Them" chapter in his Westie Handbook!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

those 2 last video's are really great! :) How are you coping on your own without them now that they're back in Kilkenny - life will be so dull and boring without the distraction of those two cuties?! Lovely Ricky, hope he still loves them when they're crawling all over him and chewing bits of him.

Let us know how they're getting on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Thank you for allowing us see these little fur ball of terrors and the westie grow up to get her .. Serious kudos

Came home for the first time in almost 3 months today and was excited to see how these 2 have turned out. My my mum has been looking after them, that is, whenever Rocky allows her to. He's firmly the Dad now of these 2 little guys (the Vet confirmed that they're boys, btw). The best part is, the 2 of them have begun looking after another stray! They allow a kitten to sleep with them at night, and are always playing with him, and never eat his food. It's adorable but sadly, he's still a little shy of humans so it's hard to get a photo.

Anyway, this will be the last update as they are now no longer kittens, but fully-grown, ridiculously bushy/fluffy cats. Thanks for all the help at the start - looking back at the photos posted 6 months ago has given me a huge smile! I've tried to take a new picture of them beside Rocky today, and to compare it to the first one posted above is hilarious. I can't believe how big they've gotten. Best decision I've ever made.

ty5fB0Rl.jpg
    bpWO71pl.jpg
    aCvJRYSl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Aw I love updates like this! They are beautiful cats, they look so healthy, happy and well looked after. Well done again on taking them in, a lot of people would have walked on by. They obviously landed on their feet with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They are beautiful cats, you did a great thing for them, they will reward you with a huge amount of love.
    Thanks for the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Long overdue update on these 2 dudes as I was home at the weekend. They're still inseparable and have grown into two very handsome cats.

Darwin, the darker of the two, had a close call a couple of months ago. He was missing for almost a week and we couldn't find him anywhere. Turns out he fell into a basement in an abandoned house nearby and couldn't get out. The man who is renovating the house randomly visited and heard a meowing and asked us if we were missing a cat. Newton would have been lost without him, as you can see from the below pictures! They've come a long way from the photos on the first page!

Added in some bonus pictures of Darwin's eyes as I think they're amazing.

CmZcPAwl.jpg

TW9aPzfl.jpg

43SgY9Fl.jpg

b6rYYHgl.jpg

mfia9bll.jpg

Km0zNmZl.jpg

SS1HX21l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lovely photos and what a handsome & content looking pair - how lucky were they to end up with you :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeez JaMArcusHustle...
    That's one pair of seriously stressed out kitties
    :D
    Whilst scrolling through the first few photos, I was beginning to wonder if they every actually wake up :pac:
    They're beautiful, really beautiful :o

Advertisement