Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Living Pokedex Challenge

• 02-06-2013 4:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone even attempted it, let alone completed it?

Only found out about it now and since I'm not that far into Platinum, figured I'd give it a shot. Obviously the newer the version, the harder it'll be. As such, I dont think you can take credit for doing it on RBY or even GSC. Anything after that though is an achievement in my book. Especially with the amount you'll have to trade across.

If you dont know, a Living Pokedex means one of every Pokemon, so Bulbasaur and Ivysaur and Venasaur in your game and useable instead of just Venasaur being usable.

Going to have to find me a ditto soon, dont think I've even seen one yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I did it in Gen IV! It's a lot of work. I never got around to continuing it in Gen V though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Well done!

How'd you get the event Pokemon? Thats what I'm worried about most. Have Ruby, Sapphire, Leaf Green and Diamond on top of Platinum so between them should be able to get nearly all of them without having to rely on outside help.

Had a look at the GTS for the first time. In exchange for a level 1 Turtwig: a level 50+ Heracross, a level 100 Darkrai, a level 90+ Manaphy. I'm pretty sure thats not a fair trade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The great thing about gts offers is that as 99% are mental, if you want a turtwig and offer something reasonably equivalent you won't have to wait long. You don't get to specify origin though...

Do you mean if I put it up on offer rather than searching?

Ended up checking Diamond and having them there so just got both Piplup and Turtwig from the daycare. Dumped into the PC until later.

So far I have four sets complete. This is going to take a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

For the event Pokemon I traded with random people online using various forums. If what they sent me was obviously fake/hacked I traded it away again but still had the Pokedex entry so I was able to go looking for a legit versions on the GTS myself then. A lot more of them have become available in legit events since then too (Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Arceus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I try to do this witht he regional 'dex in each game. It's not that I wanted to do the whole "living pokédex" thing, because I never even knew that was a thing- This is just how I like to play. If my Piplup turns into a Prinplup, then I'm gonna need another Piplup for the box. When he finally Empoleons up, I'll have to raise another Prinplup to even things out. The real challenge though, is trying to think of nicknames for all of them.

deathrider wrote: »
    I try to do this witht he regional 'dex in each game. It's not that I wanted to do the whole "living pokédex" thing, because I never even knew that was a thing- This is just how I like to play. If my Piplup turns into a Prinplup, then I'm gonna need another Piplup for the box. When he finally Empoleons up, I'll have to raise another Prinplup to even things out. The real challenge though, is trying to think of nicknames for all of them.
    1, 2, 3, 4..... :D

Would make sorting them in the boxes a lot easier.

Everytime I turn the game on I spend the first half an hour collecting all the berries :o Made literally zero progress (map wise) today as I spent ten minutes after that trying to catch a Burmy from a Honey Tree. I want Munchlax but is apparently not easy to find. Got Combee and Aipom aswell from other tree's so it's not all bad.

Are you doing it the hard way - ie getting every single 'mon that's available in-game yourself rather than trading for it - or are you happy to trade for stuff like Munchlax?

I want to do the majority the hard way. Only anything I cant find or get I'll trade for. Unless I can get Snorlax from LeafGreen, Munchlax might be on that list. Ideally I want a Snorlax for the Pokemon league. He has served me well in the past. He'd be helpful now too as Wake just destroyed me. Didnt even get to see his third Pokemon :o Thought Luxio and Leafeon would have done better.

I had 470 in my head but I just checked and it's 493. Reckon I should be able to get to about 400 before it get too much of a struggle.

Did get a sudden realisation of how hard it'll be when I remembered Dragon Pokemon. They arent the easiest to level up in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I started towards the national dex in Gen V but a good few of the pokemon dont evolve until very late. Makes it even more difficult to get the dex as instead of leveling up to the 40s/50s you have to go all the way to the 70s in some case

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    1, 2, 3, 4..... :D

Would make sorting them in the boxes a lot easier.

Everytime I turn the game on I spend the first half an hour collecting all the berries :o Made literally zero progress (map wise) today as I spent ten minutes after that trying to catch a Burmy from a Honey Tree. I want Munchlax but is apparently not easy to find. Got Combee and Aipom aswell from other tree's so it's not all bad.

I don't think I've ever seen a wild Munchlax. Do you get it from the trees like you do with the other lads? That reminds me, last time I played Diamond (before I got sidetracked... happens every few weeks) I was breeding a bunch of Burmy; aiming for a Mothim. I really should get back to that.

deathrider wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a wild Munchlax. Do you get it from the trees like you do with the other lads? That reminds me, last time I played Diamond (before I got sidetracked... happens every few weeks) I was breeding a bunch of Burmy; aiming for a Mothim. I really should get back to that.

On the honey tree's but only four of them that are randomised at the start. To make it harder, it's only a 1% chance on each tree!

Do you get the National Pokedex before or after the Elite 4? Cant use the Pal Park until you have it so cant get Snorlax until then.

I think I have male and female Burmy now. Same with Combee because I couldnt remember which gender evolved.

Female combee becomes vespiquen. Not sure of spelling but positive about gender ;)

National Dex is post-E4 far as I remember. It's the only way to see spiritomb without a friend helping - something to do with a haunted well and an item from the underground.

Male Burmy used to move like lightning on the GTS if you'll stoop to trading for a munchlax.

Checked and I have indeed got a Male Burmy. Will stick it up and hope someone is interested. Never knew they were in high demand.

Crap, I hope I haven't got that arseways, I really don't want to have to dig out my copy of diamond and locate your trade on gts to cover up my mistake :)

lol it's up now anyway. Hopefully someone will save you. :pac:

Got my Munchlax :D

Now who do I ditch.....

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    On the honey tree's but only four of them that are randomised at the start. To make it harder, it's only a 1% chance on each tree!

Sounds like I'm going to have about 1% fun trying to catch one so, lol.
    Banjo wrote: »
    Female combee becomes vespiquen. Not sure of spelling but positive about gender ;)

Female combee are proving to be quite difficult to find in White 2. There are tons of male ones, but I haven't spotted a single wild female yet. Having said that, i'm not finished the game yet, so things might change.

Think I got a little carried away yesterday. Got a level 1 Munchlax to start the day and now I have a level 54 Snorlax :pac: He is an absolute machine!

Got Uxie, Azelf and Giritina (on the fourth reset after he died three times from Struggle, that's how many Ultra Ball's it took) and still have my Master Ball. Hopefully I wont need it for Mespirit whenever I find it again. The marking map is great, but still annoying trying to corner it somewhere. 32 short of the National Pokedex and in the Victory Road. Must have missed a few along the way as that seems like a lot in a short period.

Organised the boxes but then wondered if I had wasted my time. Does everyone get a Sinnoh Pokedex number, or will I have to change them all to their National numbers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

National dex number trumps the Sinnoh number. Only pokemon that are in the Sinnoh region will have a Sinnoh dex number.

• Advertisement

Finally got to the Pal Park (after Cynthia beat me four times in the Pokemon league) only to find I have a lot of work to do. Ruby has 1 Pokemon while I seem to have lost Leaf Green altogether. This just got a whole lot harder! Only Sapphire is of any use but for some reason I have a ton of each common Pokemon. Dont know what the thinking was there :pac:

If I dont find Leaf Green I think I'll have to get a ROM of it and then use the fake GTS site to get anyone I catch in it. I'll still have captured them, just not in a physical game.

I'm convinced Leaf Green grew legs and walked off due to not being played. As such, I'm playing ROM's and will use my AR to cheat any Pokemon I catch into Platinum. I'll set them to the same level and then release them in the ROM so it'll be like transfering via Pal Park.

On a side note, Leaf Green is redicilously easy. Played for about two hours and got four badges. A level 50-something Charizard helps so it's basically a solo run but one where I catch everything to "transfer" to Platinum. Only missing Abra thus far but I'm 99% sure I already have one in Platinum. Definitley have Kadabra and Alakazam.

So that I dont cheat too much, I'm limiting it to 6 a day per ROM, just like the Pal Park. Have about 150 done in Platinum so that number should increase now that I've sorted the other games issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I did this when I first had Pokémon Blue.

Only one I didn't have was Mew, because the Mew/Ditto Glitch was unknown back then.

That excuse may have held up 14 years ago, but what's your excuse now??? Dust off that Gameboy, son!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I wish I still had my GB Pocket

Advertisement