Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Gamestop Ireland just posted on Facebook a while ago that in order to play Online you need PS Plus ... Is this true? I heard nothing about this ... Free online was always the best thing about the PS3...

Yeah you will need plus for online play now but do keep in mind though it's only five quid a month and you get free games, betas and discounts. Seems pretty worth it in my book anyways.

not to mention the 100 euro pricing difference on launch and the fact that Live is more expensive with less perks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Ahh damn that kinda sucks :(

You'll now have cross game chat etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Ahh yeah I know but would of loved to just start off online straight away with Killzone... Maybe though they will have like a 3 month sub included with the PS4 or 1 month...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well that was a comprehensive body blow. Right into the ribs of Microsoft. No DRM for second hand games, No always online requirement, No creepy camera that can't be turned of.........and 100 euro cheaper.

I have a niggling fear though. I think Sony might be being a little sneaky with their announcement. I hope I'm wrong but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Here is my concern. That 399 console will be a barebones version....like the Wii-U basic or the old Xbox 360 arcade. Basically a neutered version of the console with a tiny hardrive, no mic, etc. They will announce a "premium" PS4 version at 499 which is the same price as the new xbox.

They don't announce that at E3 because they want to keep momentum and people wont be as impressed as they are now. A few weeks before release, tell everyone that they have an option to buy a better version and nobody bats an eyelid.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and that we get the best version for 399. Because if we do, I know which console I'm getting at launch. I mean, I'll probably end up getting both in the long run but that will be a few years down the line. Only room for one of them at launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Anyone got a link to where I can watch Sony please?

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Well that was a comprehensive body blow. Right into the ribs of Microsoft. No DRM for second hand games, No always online requirement, No creepy camera that can't be turned of.........and 100 euro cheaper.

I have a niggling fear though. I think Sony might be being a little sneaky with their announcement. I hope I'm wrong but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Here is my concern. That 399 console will be a barebones version....like the Wii-U basic or the old Xbox 360 arcade. Basically a neutered version of the console with a tiny hardrive, no mic, etc. They will announce a "premium" PS4 version at 499 which is the same price as the new xbox.

They don't announce that at E3 because they want to keep momentum and people wont be as impressed as they are now. A few weeks before release, tell everyone that they have an option to buy a better version and nobody bats an eyelid.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and that we get the best version for 399. Because if we do, I know which console I'm getting at launch. I mean, I'll probably end up getting both in the long run but that will be a few years down the line. Only room for one of them at launch.
    Can't see them doing that, not til after launch anyway and that would be for a Vita or small tablet controller I would think. The Kinect explains the price difference even with the PS4's better specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Pretty sure it's confirmed that the launch model will come with a 500 gig HD as standard. Not too shabby being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

€50 of that price difference explained - PS 4 Eye is separate purchase (Kinect bundled with Xbox).

I could do without it, not sure the misses could though.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Yep it is confirmed that the PS4 will ship with a 500GB hard drive...

Just posted this over is the Sony forum, but sure no harm in posting it here

This is the PS4 press release from Sony's Corporate website

Just confirms 500GB hard drive, doesn't say if it's replaceable but I would say that it will be and that the Playstation Camera is not included in the bundle.

Also the RRP of the Dual Shock 4 is €59 and the camera is €49.

Yep it is confirmed that the PS4 will ship with a 500GB hard drive...

Just posted this over is the Sony forum, but sure no harm in posting it here

This is the PS4 press release from Sony's Corporate website

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../130611a_e.pdf

Just confirms 500GB hard drive, doesn't say if it's replaceable but I would say that it will be and that the Playstation Camera is not included in the bundle.

Also the RRP of the Dual Shock 4 is €59 and the camera is €49.

That link doesn't work unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Sorry about that folks, uploaded a copy of the PDF press release to my original post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Can't see them doing that, not til after launch anyway and that would be for a Vita or small tablet controller I would think. The Kinect explains the price difference even with the PS4's better specs.

The PS4's GPU is clocked higher than the xbone. That much is known. But there are rumours of the xbox one having major problems regarding manufacturing. Those neogaf leaks claim they are having serious yield issues with their ESRAM. It could end up costing them a lot of money and it could also mean they have less consoles available at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do not allow evil to triumph. Do not sit by and do nothing.

Sony must of read this quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anyone know where we can watch a repeat of the Sony press conference? Having trouble with any YouTube links I try.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It is amazing the state of construction and non-completedness of the stands at E3 this afternoon. One just knows that there are poor buggers working on the stands into the wee hours of the morning. To save money, the aircon isn't on today either.

Most unexpected stand I saw: Lionel. I am genuinely pleased to see them there. I can't imagine they'll get much out of it, given the typical interests of anyone that goes to/watches E3, but credit to them for showing up, even with a small little booth. I always like seeing the Video game museum booth as well.

There is no missing the Wolfenstein section. Battlefield 4 is obviously looking for a lot of players, as they have scores of machines set up and ready to play. Unlike Wargaming, which has about a dozen for the three titles in total, it's more a 'show'. MS, Sony and NT all have the typical huge, massive booths which take up most of the West hall. Disney's booth is definitely Disney, complete with castle in the centre. The trailer that is playing for "The Evil Within" is, frankly, a bit disturbing, but definitely evil. NVidia seems to have a large enough booth, they were trailing Planetside 2 when I walked by. Activision seems to have dispensed with their 50-foot long TV screen.

You know, as I think of it, I don't recall a Firaxis/2K booth. I'm sure it's around somewhere, it's not as if I looked very hard this evening.
    Initial thought, and it's not as if I was taking notes, is that there is likely more this year to catch my interest than last year. I'll check in again tomorrow.

I am considering buying a pair of earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The PS4's GPU is clocked higher than the xbone. That much is known. But there are rumours of the xbox one having major problems regarding manufacturing. Those neogaf leaks claim they are having serious yield issues with their ESRAM. It could end up costing them a lot of money and it could also mean they have less consoles available at launch.

Not to mention it's a significantly more powerful GPU from the get go.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Anyone know where we can watch a repeat of the Sony press conference? Having trouble with any YouTube links I try.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/415350728

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Wasn't expecting that at all, was following it from work. Looks like it'll be the PS4.

Any word on the size of the controller? I hated the PS3 one, was just so small compared to the X360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

danthefan wrote: »

Just for people starting this, it starts around the hour mark.

Wasn't expecting that at all, was following it from work. Looks like it'll be the PS4.

Any word on the size of the controller? I hated the PS3 one, was just so small compared to the X360.

Tbh I'd be surprised if it's much bigger than the PS3 controller.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They put an advert for Xbox One on the mirror in my bathroom of the hotel. (I'm in a Hyatt). The elevator doors are full-door adverts for Ryse and Thief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Because anyone travelling to E3 is likely to have missed the Xbox One.

"Oh, thanks mirror ad, wouldn't have known about that!" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So are we thinking of getting a launch model? Are we worried about shoddy launch models as happened before? Or wait until the second wave in the new year? I'm leaning towards second wave tbh.

On a slightly different note I'm glad that went so well for SOny, they are in trouble financially aren't they? A successful ps4 was quite important for the company overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Just watching PS reveal now. PlayStation has it in the bag.

I would love to know if the Microsoft price reveal changed the PlayStation price point or were they always going for 399 euro.

Not to mention, the console even looks better... way better.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Just watching PS reveal now. PlayStation has it in the bag.

I would love to know if the Microsoft price reveal changed the PlayStation price point or were they always going for 399 euro.

Not to mention, the console even looks better... way better.

I seriously doubt it. I'd say they were always gunning for that price, having been so badly stung by the PS3. They'd have had a business model mapped out years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Missed the Sony conference, but 399 price tag? able to trade and sell games? They certainly got Microsoft's number on that one.

This DRM thing has been rumored for months and when MS finally confirmed it with the Xbox One reveal - I honestly thought, here we go, standard in the industry, Sony is following suit and MS knows this. But no!? MS was taking a risky path all by itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

€399 is the RRP, the shops can do what they want really. And seeing as there is little to competition anymore, thats not good. No GAME, HMV, Xtravision. Gamestop and Smyths have this, maybe Tesco will force them to think about it.

Harvey Normans also take stock when something like this comes out. I remember pre ordering COD MW3 in GAME for 59.99 then saw a poster in Tesco across the way for 49.99, so I cancelled my pre order with GAME.
    Next day I saw an ad in the newspaper for Harvey Norman that had it at 37.77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"The Moment Sony Won E3 2013" (courtesy of Eurogamer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Brilliant news to wake up to, looks my next gen purchase is 100% decided now. :D What a way to absolutely bury the competition, MS got too clever and greedy for their own good with the One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Looks like they're lowering the price of the xbox one already..

xboxone_zps6c8575ce.png

Advertisement