Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

C14N wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to the MS DRM policy. I reckon that they were sure that Sony would follow up. This would mean all 3 "next gen" consoles (PS4, One and PC) would have heavy DRM and no second hand games. So they thought consumers would just bend over and take it like a bitch. If Sony were on board, we would take it too. I have to imagine MS are now having meetings deciding whether they should do a u-turn and just say "actually, we decided not to do any of those things" so that they can actually still compete.

They really have to at this stage. At the very least they need to scale it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Up until now, I was under the impression that this war on used games was being pushed by the publisher, and expected Sony to do something similar to what MS are doing.

Obviously not!

It could very well have been publisher pushed and Sony may have played them along with a maybe and then after seeing the ****storm building they quietly told the publishers to deal with it themselves. I don't think there's any altruism in this by Sony, they're hurt by resales as much as publishers are, but if they can make an announcement that really screws with Microsoft this close to launch they had to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

iNEzWl6fVAKEf.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The XBone Conference in 4 minutes.
    (Maybe trying a bit too hard to be funny, but still pretty good) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Then build one that can still play the newest releases in 7-8 years time and get back to us on that.

TBH I think a €600 - 800 PC will hold up much better this time around.
    When the 360 and PS3 were announced they shipped with unreleased top of the line GPU's.

This time their shipping with weaker hardware than whats in a current mid range gaming PC .

And the all important x86 architecture means porting will be simple.

Also playing PC version Battlefield 3 on low at 1280 * 720 for the past year vs what ever settings the Xbox 360 version is running would give me way more confidence about building a gaming PC.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    They really have to at this stage. At the very least they need to scale it back.

Its M$ if they do change their policy somehow it'll take a year, by then the damage will be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

They still managed to save themselves last go round despite the appalling performance issues of 360 in the early days. I'll be getting a PS4 but I don't count MS buried by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

beno619 wrote: »

This time their shipping with weaker hardware than whats in a current mid range gaming PC .

How mid rage is your mid range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

all I'll say is E3 so far, has made me buy a Playstation 3, convinved me to get a PS4, and sell my Xbox 360...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    How mid rage is your mid range?

€500 - 700, XBOne with Gold a 2nd controller and a game will be around that price.

I think at €400 the PS4 is great value tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

joe123 wrote: »
    Have to say im really disappointed with the Final Fantasy reveal. I hated 13 so was hoping theyd go back to their roots.

Now they have just made it an action game. I used to love the turn based combat of older Final Fantasy games.

For a series whose sole distinguishing feature is that it reinvents itself with each new entry in the series I fail to understand what people mean by go back to it's roots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just came back from work. Got dogs outside and will go fire up pc to watch Sony e3. From what I see on this thread Sony conference was full of win. If I am off on Friday I'll go to gamestop and throw a bit more money on my preorder!

Built one 3 years ago that can still play Crysis, ill get back to you in another 4 and let you know!!

Are you playing at 1080p though? Resolution increases kill old hardware more than the games themselves tend to do. If you're happy to play on the resolutions from 3/4 years ago you can get a lot of mileage out of older machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just came back from work. Got dogs outside and will go fire up pc to watch Sony e3. From what I see on this thread Sony conference was full of win. If I am off on Friday I'll go to gamestop and throw a bit more money on my preorder!

Going to head in today to do it, probably won't be gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Will be very interesting to see what MS decide to do now, still dont know if im gonna bother with a console as basically everything i want from yesterday is on PC apart from The Division and Below but crossing my fingers they will get announced later during the show

Lads. Any Vods uploaded of Sony conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

nesf wrote: »
    Are you playing at 1080p though? Resolution increases kill old hardware more than the games themselves tend to do. If you're happy to play on the resolutions from 3/4 years ago you can get a lot of mileage out of older machines.

Most current gen games run < 720p and get upscaled.
    From what ive read the XB one may not be able to do 1080p I heard a lot of 60fps references but not a mention of resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Varik wrote: »
    Going to head in today to do it, probably won't be gamestop.

I'd wait for the Sony decision on SKUs, that's up in the air right now. But at least the HDDs are removable. So far the standard or basic SKU with 500GB HDD is €399.

• Advertisement

Okay, Intro of Sony is awesome. I am having goose bumps already! ****, Sony, I LOVE YOU AGAIN! :p

Okay, Intro of Sony is awesome. I am having goose bumps already! ****, Sony, I LOVE YOU AGAIN! :p

It's a slow run to the finish. Destiny left a bad smell in the place but Jack saved the day at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Kinect is what is killing ms, that adds a lot to the cost of the machine while being something no one wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

It wouldn't surprise me now if Microsoft make a lot of adjustments to their product now, prior to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

The Kinect is what is killing ms, that adds a lot to the cost of the machine while being something no one wants.

As conspiratorial as it sounds, I don't want a camera and microphone always on in my house. It just freaks me out. Especially with the news on the NSA at the moment.

beno619 wrote: »
    Most current gen games run < 720p and get upscaled.

That's a console game thing not in general a PC game thing due to developers having to squeeze more out of the more limited resources in a console. PC games are usually rendered at the target resolution by the GPU whereas console games are rendered at a resolution set by the developer and then upscaled if necessary, this allows them to squeeze better performance for a given resolution at a cost to fidelity. The main difference is with PC games you normally get a lot of control over the graphical quality settings which allow you to tweak performance according to your hardware and the resolution you want to game at. With console games all of those settings are fixed to give a certain result around 720p usually because they know exactly what hardware its going to be running on. This approach wouldn't work at all for PC games given the broad range of hardware being used by gamers.

Kinect is the least of MS's problems now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But we must want it if they say we do. Right?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But we must want it if they say we do. Right?

:pac:

Yeah, just like gamers love DRM restrictions and only being able to trade in at certain places. Microsoft sure gets us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

God I'm wrecked. Well done to the hardcore group on here in the early hours, it was quiet something seen THAT announcement live.

Advertisement