Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

I have both consoles pre ordered so i don't care to much about the console war but i really thought that the xbox showed much better games dead rising 3 looked class but i do like that the ps4 is only 400 euro but i really thing xbox showed better games the ps4 showed a lot of games that will be on both consoles but as i said i don't really care to much as i have them both pre ordered:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

God I'm wrecked. Well done to the hardcore group on here in the early hours, it was quiet something seen THAT announcement live.

I had to wake up at 4:00 for work so no way I could watch it. I am watching video of it now and I have to say 20 minutes in and Sony ****s all over the MS. I really LOVe how SONY dedicates so much time for ps3 and does not chunk it off like it is something stinky and stained. PS3 will have some freaking awesome games even with ps4 in full blast.

Dunno, is it me or even people are more lively and less fake in Sony conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

nesf wrote: »
    That's a console game thing not in general a PC game thing due to developers having to squeeze more out of the more limited resources in a console.

Sorry I probably shouldn't have replied directly to your comment, yep I know this.

I was just trying to say that a gimped version of the game running on current gen consoles has nothing on the PC version running on low at 720p.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me now if Microsoft make a lot of adjustments to their product now, prior to launch.

What are their biggest issues right now?

The price and the DRM?

I can't see them doing anything about the DRM, despite Sony kicking them in the teeth over it.

They might lower the price a tiny bit, but its unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

beno619 wrote: »
    Sorry I probably shouldn't have replied directly to your comment, yep I know this.

I was just trying to say that a gimped version of the game running on current gen consoles has nothing on the PC version running on low at 720p.

Yeah, sorry I misinterpreted your point. I agree, they use a lot of tricks to make stuff look good on the current consoles. Which is great, it's much better than leaving people with 4 year old looking games. But you can never get away from the sheer power difference between console and a mid-high end gaming PC at the end of the day once you start pumping up the resolution and effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Penn wrote: »
    They really have to at this stage. At the very least they need to scale it back.

It's going to be hard for them. They pitched most of this stuff as if it were things that would benefit the gamer so it will be hard to turn it around. At the same time, EA got rid of the online pass recently and retroactively removed it from previous games so maybe these companies aren't as stubborn as we would think.
    I don't think there's any altruism in this by Sony, they're hurt by resales as much as publishers are, but if they can make an announcement that really screws with Microsoft this close to launch they had to do it.

I don't think so either. Companies aren't supposed to be altruistic. There is a point though, where too much penny-pinching can harm your product by casting it in a bad public light, especially when almost all of your revenue comes from consumers. Sony seemed to realise that and just straight up admitted that what the people want can actually matter.
    Its M$ if they do change their policy somehow it'll take a year, by then the damage will be done

Not necessarily. A lot of people (myself included) would have written off the PS3 as a failure at launch and now it sits at #2 behind the Wii.
    Are you playing at 1080p though? Resolution increases kill old hardware more than the games themselves tend to do. If you're happy to play on the resolutions from 3/4 years ago you can get a lot of mileage out of older machines.

Well the PC can actually scale up the resolutions, even if the performance mightn't be as good. With a console, you're locked into whatever the hardware could do at launch which is why we're still playing 720p games on 360/PS3, despite the fact that most TVs now are 1080p.

The new consoles will run 1080p games afaik but 4K might step in during this cycle and they'll be left behind with that. I really don't think the jump in quality will be as dramatic with 4K but still something to keep in mind.

C14N wrote: »
    Well the PC can actually scale up the resolutions, even if the performance mightn't be as good. With a console, you're locked into whatever the hardware could do at launch which is why we're still playing 720p games on 360/PS3, despite the fact that most TVs now are 1080p.

The new consoles will run 1080p games afaik but 4K might step in during this cycle and they'll be left behind with that. I really don't think the jump in quality will be as dramatic with 4K but still something to keep in mind.

The card in the XBox can definitely run things well at 1080p, I believe the PS4 is the same. The card in the XBox would roll over and die at 4k though, Christ even 1440p (27-30") would make it cry if you turned the quality up high.

The card in the XBox can definitely run things well at 1080p, I believe the PS4 is the same. The card in the XBox would roll over and die at 4k though, Christ even 1440p (27-30") would make it cry if you turned the quality up high.

I've definitely read that the PS4 will run 1080p 3D games anyway.

Source

It will also play 4K Blu-ray when the time comes around which is nice future-proofing.

I've definitely read that the PS4 will run 1080p 3D games anyway.

Source

It will also play 4K Blu-ray when the time comes around which is nice future-proofing.

That's nice. I can't see myself having a 4k TV for a long time though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was in shock when i seen it was only going to be €399 for the PS4 thats day one for me. Also because i Have PSN + i get Drive Club for free :eek:

Also i will be getting Transistor on PSN + as well sony really showed how good valve + is as now i will get games for my PS3, Vita and PS4 all for less then 5 euro a mouth :eek: while MS is giving Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2 for free LoL i got Halo 3 the day i got my JC results thats showing you how old the game is LoL

Looking at this show it was real lets murder Microsoft and murder them hard LoL

Day 1 games for me

Killzone
    Watch Dogs
    Knack
    assassin's creed 4

Need to start saving hard :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Then the games MS are giving for free and then you have Sony giving out Xcom and Hitman and a discount on Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon on release. Too little too late MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Then the games MS are giving for free and then you have Sony giving out Xcom and Hitman and a discount on Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon on release. Too little too late MS.

when I sow Halo 3 to be one of the free games I really bursted laughing! It is like 5eu in gamestop and noone wants it? It was a chance to bring people who ignored halo in to halo universe. They did it by giving the worst halo ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

when I sow Halo 3 to be one of the free games I really bursted laughing! It is like 5eu in gamestop and noone wants it? It was a chance to bring people who ignored halo in to halo universe. They did it by giving the worst halo ever!

Well Halo 3 is one of my top games. But yeah, ridiculous choice of game. I mean it was a 360 launch title for goodness sake. I find it very peculiar that they are bothering to release another model of 360 too, seems really pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I find it very peculiar that they are bothering to release another model of 360 too, seems really pointless.

Ya, I thought the same.

But form the sounds of it, they plan on supporting both the 360 and the ONE for years to come. Or at least, that's what they want us to think.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The worst one ever? No. It's widely regarded as the pinnacle of the series by most in terms of multiplayer at least (the campaign is my favourite too tbh). The main complaint I see about Reach and 4 are the fact they're not Halo 3 and a good chunk of the matchmaking updates have just made Halo 4 more like Halo 3.

It is daft giving a game that old away for free and making a big deal out of it though, especially since it's been plastered all over marketplace the last month for €19.99 along with a bunch of other classics. Anyone who bought that will feel a right mug now. Anyway, you can pick up a second hand copy of ODST for peanuts and get the multiplayer plus all the DLC included, this free version doesn't even include the DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I mean it was a 360 launch title for goodness sake. I find it very peculiar that they are bothering to release another model of 360 too, seems really pointless.

Ehh no it wasnt, it was released almost 2 years after the 360 launched, but yeah its still a pretty pathetic attempt to get people on board with xbl. The reason they are releasing a smaller better 360 is for the people who cant afford a next gen console or are just very casual gamers, maybe the only good business idea they have had during this whole fiasco

That's nice. I can't see myself having a 4k TV for a long time though! :D

Me neither. ATM it's only available in massive TVs (80"+) that I'm not even sure are on the market. It will inevitably become standard somewhere down the line though. I remember not caring at all about HD in 2006 when I got my Wii, now the high-end smartphones have 1080p screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Is the steam box making any kind of showing at E3 this year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Hmmm, looks legit.

1001631_10151479621521443_1411320326_n.jpg

Every over rumour has been true so I see no reason to doubt whats been written in this thread.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=487659

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Hmmm, looks legit.

Ownership is so last gen...

wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It could very well have been publisher pushed and Sony may have played them along with a maybe and then after seeing the ****storm building they quietly told the publishers to deal with it themselves. I don't think there's any altruism in this by Sony, they're hurt by resales as much as publishers are, but if they can make an announcement that really screws with Microsoft this close to launch they had to do it.

They really, really aren't hurt as much as the publishers. The publishers profit comes purely from software.....games sales. The second hand market for games is huge, and they see virtually 0% of the profit from it.

The console manufacturers profits come from hardware sales. You saw the billions Nintendo made with the Wii. They made a profit on every console sold. Thats where Sony will make their money this time around. They don't need to loss lead to win the Blu-ray / HD-DVD battle. They can make a profit on the PS4. The console itself and then the accessories. Accessories have a large mark-up. There is virtually no second hand market here so they get most of the profit. This generation, PS+ and xbox live have supplemented their income hugely but again, this is not related to second hand games.

Sony aren't Nintendo. They don't develop any first part games, and only have a couple of second party studio's......who's games always sell well anyway and have high attachment rates. Games like Uncharted.

The used games DRM is a push from the publishers and Microsoft have let themselves be portrayed as the boogeyman to some degree. Ofcourse, Microsoft also love the idea of a closed system like steam where potentially every purchase is made through them so they can siphon off money from every game sold. I think they thought they could implement this by degree's with the Xbox One and Sony would follow suit meaning gamers would just have to accept it. They got this one badly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Me neither. ATM it's only available in massive TVs (80"+) that I'm not even sure are on the market. It will inevitably become standard somewhere down the line though. I remember not caring at all about HD in 2006 when I got my Wii, now the high-end smartphones have 1080p screens.

Sony has some 55" 60" for under $5k now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Will the Sony have any content for GTA that is exclusive to them?

Same question about XBOX

Varik wrote: »
    Sony has some 55" 60" for under $5k now.

Seiko 50" for $1300

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/12/seiki-50-inch-4k-1300/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ehh no it wasnt, it was released almost 2 years after the 360 launched, but yeah its still a pretty pathetic attempt to get people on board with xbl.

Oh yeah look at that, I think the first 360 game I played was Halo 3 when it came out, must've just forgot the about 2 years the console had already been out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Headshot wrote: »
    Will the Sony have any content for GTA that is exclusive to them?

Same question about XBOX

I doubt it if it wasn't announced last nite.
    The PS4 is region free too which is something I didn't hear before(sorry if already posted).
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/11/sony-confirms-playstation-4-is-region-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,677 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Kirby wrote: »
    They really, really aren't hurt as much as the publishers. The publishers profit comes purely from software.....games sales. The second hand market for games is huge, and they see virtually 0% of the profit from it.

But surely the second hard market is for more casual gamers, not willing to part with the top dollar price on launch but still interested. The core gamers, will continue to buy the games new and then can fund the next new purchase by way of trade in so that in the end helps the developer.

It seems to me that part of the purchase price of the game is paid in the knowledge that it can be resold (sort of like paying more for a VW over a Skoda), if they remove the ability o resell then surely the initial purchase price will have to fall otherwise overall sales will fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That TV is terrible, all it has is 4k there's barely any setting for picture and it lacks all but the most basic of features.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »

The console manufacturers profits come from hardware sales. You saw the billions Nintendo made with the Wii. They made a profit on every console sold. Thats where Sony will make their money this time around. They don't need to loss lead to win the Blu-ray / HD-DVD battle. They can make a profit on the PS4. The console itself and then the accessories. Accessories have a large mark-up. There is virtually no second hand market here so they get most of the profit. This generation, PS+ and xbox live have supplemented their income hugely but again, this is not related to second hand games.

Sony aren't Nintendo. They don't develop any first part games, and only have a couple of second party studio's......who's games always sell well anyway and have high attachment rates. Games like Uncharted.

The used games DRM is a push from the publishers and Microsoft have let themselves be portrayed as the boogeyman to some degree. Ofcourse, Microsoft also love the idea of a closed system like steam where potentially every purchase is made through them so they can siphon off money from every game sold. I think they thought they could implement this by degree's with the Xbox One and Sony would follow suit meaning gamers would just have to accept it. They got this one badly wrong.

The lifetime earnings of a console will come more from software than it will from the hardware for manufacturers excluding the segment of the market that buys two games a year or so (i.e. people like me). Yes, in the early part of the console's life revenue from hardware will well exceed software revenue but once you get one or two years into a console's life this is not going to be the case. Especially in a world with no pre-owned games. Sony's way of making money off you post sale is going to be PS+ and its cut of software sales + other fees. Maximising this post-sale revenue stream is important to any console maker no?

Advertisement