Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Am I missing something here? I have been playing computer games since my first Amiga 500 and Nintendo have never interested me. I don't understand it, as every one of their games seem directed towards children. They look childish, feel childish, and offer nothing of substance in terms of story (or else the basic Princess needs rescuing narrative).

When I think Nintendo, I think 5-12 year old demographic. Am I the only one thinking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

How long before Nintendo are developing their games for other consoles then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Falthyron wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? I have been playing computer games since my first Amiga 500 and Nintendo have never interested me. I don't understand it, as every one of their games seem directed towards children. They look childish, feel childish, and offer nothing of substance in terms of story (or else the basic Princess needs rescuing narrative).

When I think Nintendo, I think 5-12 year old demographic. Am I the only one thinking this?

nintendo go for that crazy thing known as 'gameplay'
    it's an interesting choice, not sure if it'll pay off.

You don't have a soul.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

el dude wrote: »

Based on the fact that Nintendo just blew most of the Sony/MS games out of the water, not for a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Then you've missed all the Mario games, Zelda games and Metroid games which are the most fun games I've ever played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you have played Xenoblade (if not why the hell not!) you'll know why you should be excited.
    I have it, but haven't gotten to it yet. I didn't have my Wii with me as I didn't have time to get stuck in to big games. I have one heck of a backlog to get through. Buying a new console this year just isn't in the cards, I have too much to catch up on. Sadly, in September, my playtime will be limited again, 2nd year of uni. I really don't see myself having a shortage of new (to me) games for the foreseeable. I also have The Last Story, Valkyria Chronicles and, well, a list of shorter games too long to bother going through.

Not a bad showing from Nintendo. Hopefully Wii Fit will get them some sales come Xmas.

Games wise there were some crackers. Can't fault Mario Kart, new Mario Land game and a new DKC Returns. Only problem is they are iterating on previous ideas with those titles. Bayonetta 2 looks superb as does Wonderful 101. The new Monolith Soft game X is jaw dropping, probably my favourite of the show. If you have played Xenoblade (if not why the hell not!) you'll know why you should be excited.

Smash Bros looks more of the same but I loved all the games in the series so far.

I have to say that was a very strong showing but I am very disappointed (gutted in fact) that a spiritual successor to Sunshine/Galaxy was not shown. There is only so much of this New Mario I can play. having said that, the gf is going to go bonkers that she can play as Peach :D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Based on the fact that Nintendo just blew most of the Sony/MS games out of the water, not for a very long time.

Well that's highly subjective. It's not the games anyway, isn't the Wii U doing terribly?

• Advertisement

nintendo go for that crazy thing known as 'gameplay'
    it's an interesting choice, not sure if it'll pay off.

By making you use an awkward controller? Or waving your controller around like a feather duster? :P

I am all for gameplay, but all their games are the same. Iteration after iteration. We are up to Mario Kart 8, apart from Final Fantasy is there any other franchise that has so many sequels? Whereas FF has a different story, how many games can you make out of a kart racing game? :P

And before the COD remarks, at least COD has a different single player campaign; regardless of how awful they are! :D

I don't know. I just don't get it.

And while Bayonetta might look designed for a more mature audience, introducing her with a blatent crotch shot is hardly inspiring confidence :P

Well that's highly subjective. It's not the games anyway, isn't the Wii U doing terribly?

It's doing poorly because the games aren't there for it. Now they are coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd consider Nintendo more like Pixar, games that can be enjoyed by all ages. Even still this is the same company that made Earthbound, Mother 3, Xenoblade etc. that have some of the most mature writing in videogames.

On the other hand the swearing, nudity and violence of most 'mature' videogames is in fact utter childish. Nintendo games are fun, which all games should be. If you can't enjoy them because they don't have childish violence then your loss.

By making you use an awkward controller? Or waving your controller around like a feather duster? :P

I am all for gameplay, but all their games are the same. Iteration after iteration. We are up to Mario Kart 8, apart from Final Fantasy is there any other franchise that has so many sequels? Whereas FF has a different story, how many games can you make out of a kart racing game? :P

The new control types has only been a recent thing, if you have been playing since the Amiga 500 then you would've had the NES,SNES,N64 and Gamecube controllers to use in previous games.

Iteration after iteration, yes with Mario Kart, but with the 3d Mario games they have a lot of new ideas in every one so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Which would suggest exactly the opposite, they are good at making games but still have no decent third party games so the WiiU is doing terribly. Also the name is stupidly confusing for people who dont follow gaming info as closely as those on here.

And before the COD remarks, at least COD has a different single player campaign; regardless of how awful they are! :D

I don't know. I just don't get it.

And while Bayonetta might look designed for a more mature audience, introducing her with a blatent crotch shot is hardly inspiring confidence :P

The fact that you are comparing a fcuking Call of Duty single player game to anything in the Mario franchise tells me all I need to know about you as a "gamer". Please never try to "get it".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I missed the presentation, which games are coming this side of Christmas did it say? Any word on a price drop for the machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

At least they didn`t show too many 3rd parties titles Sony/Microsoft lent heavily on them and spitey little timed/console exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Zero Punctuation summed it up perfectly
    "Nintendo's innovation to have a console with no sodding games hasn't seemed to have paid off as well as they'd hoped."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mixed feelings over Retro's project being DKC. Their last DK game was marvellous but. . .I wanted Metroid.:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A console selling 3.5 million in 6 months isn't a console doing terribly. Under performing yes but the terrible sensationalist journalism is trying to make it out worse than it is. How well it sells this christmas will be the big telling point.

Remember when they said the 3DS was doing poorly as well and was a flop. 2 years and 30+ million sales later and it's on its way to joining the PS2 and DS as one of the most successful consoles of all time.

You also forgot to factor in the 3DS. Even if the WiiU doesn't do well for Nitendo I can see it being another Gamecube, a console that made nintendo a lot of money. Even still it has the 3DS to fall back on which is selling like crazy.

I'd consider Nintendo more like Pixar, games that can be enjoyed by all ages. Even still this is the same company that made Earthbound, Mother 3, Xenoblade etc. that have some of the most mature writing in videogames.

On the other hand the swearing, nudity and violence of most 'mature' videogames is in fact utter childish. Nintendo games are fun, which all games should be. If you can't enjoy them because they don't have childish violence then your loss.

Interesting comparison to Pixar. Perhaps that might explain it. I don't accept the childish element you are suggesting by games having swearing/nudity/violence. Did you see that Bayonetta 2 crotch shot introduction? Nintendo can do it too :P

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I missed the presentation, which games are coming this side of Christmas did it say? Any word on a price drop for the machine?

Pikmin 3 (although it wasn't in the conference), Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Zelda Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3d World before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

VinLieger wrote: »
    Which would suggest exactly the opposite, they are good at making games but still have no decent third party games so the WiiU is doing terribly. Also the name is stupidly confusing for people who dont follow gaming info as closely as those on here.

sales have picked up a lot since MS **** themselves. some good first/second party games will be all nintendo needs to build a good player base

and yes the name is dumb

The fact that you are comparing a fcuking Call of Duty single player game to anything in the Mario franchise tells me all I need to know about you as a "gamer". Please never try to "get it".

Perhaps you should try reading what I said before jumping all gun-ho for the Nintendo fanboyism brigade?

I didn't compare the quality of Mario to COD. I am simply saying that the COD franchise has many sequels. The Mario Kart franchise has many sequels.

Jernal wrote: »
    Mixed feelings over Retro's project being DKC. Their last DK game was marvellous but. . .I wanted Metroid.:o

Retro Studios had a lot of their talent walk out. They are a much smaller team now and most of the Metroid team are gone.

Perhaps you should try reading what I said before jumping all gun-ho for the Nintendo fanboyism brigade?

I didn't compare the quality of Mario to COD. I am simply saying that the COD franchise has many sequels. The Mario Kart franchise has many sequels.

The new Mario Kart will be number 8 since 1992/93, Call of Duty will be upto number 10 since 2003 when Ghosts comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MadYaker wrote: »
    There is the gaming humor thread for all the E3 funnies and the E3 vids thread for youtube links people. All the gifs and vids in this thread are starting to piss me off.
    mikom wrote: »
    X box owner? :pac:
    PC gamer....

Really.............
    Id play on PC too but my PC just can't handle it and buying an xbox is cheaper and less hassle than improving my pc.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=407920&showmore=1&date_to=&date_from=&query=*%3A*&forum=522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A console selling 3.5 million in 6 months isn't a console doing terribly. Under performing yes but the terrible sensationalist journalism is trying to make it out worse than it is. How well it sells this christmas will be the big telling point.

True but there are no system sellers there. There's no new Zelda game, no new Mario Galaxy. Nothing that was announced today is going to convince anyone who's not interested in the Wii U to buy one.

Wii Fit U may be the one thing to bring the non-traditional audience back in and get them to upgrade their Wii but there's an equal chance that they're not coming back. The landscape has changed and smartphones and fitness apps are a much more attractive proposition for those non-gamers who made the original Wii Fit such a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Whatever about who won or lost, these conferences have all been better than I expected.

The Xbox One was all games and Titanfall looked fantastic. EA teased Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefront but really impressed with Battlefield 4. Ubisoft pulled another Watch_Dogs from their #rse with The Division. Sony sucker-punched the XBone with their policies but still managed to impress me with their exclusives. Even Nintendo showed some of their old form. Smash Bros. and Super Mario 3D World look like fun.

Advertisement