Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

mikom wrote: »

Yeah. If you look in the PC building and upggrading forum you'll find 2 threads, one where I got recommendations for a build and ordered it, and another where a few people helped me build it. Plus the 2 Dayz threads, minecraft thread, steam gifts threads and probably others too. If you're going to stalk somebody on boards do it right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd consider Nintendo more like Pixar, games that can be enjoyed by all ages. Even still this is the same company that made Earthbound, Mother 3, Xenoblade etc. that have some of the most mature writing in videogames.

On the other hand the swearing, nudity and violence of most 'mature' videogames is in fact utter childish. Nintendo games are fun, which all games should be. If you can't enjoy them because they don't have childish violence then your loss.

Its not like Nintendo don't have stupidly violent games aswell.

The dude with the chainsaw hand, mad world I think it was called, was quite violent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah. If you look in the PC building and upggrading forum you'll find 2 threads, one where I got recommendations for a build and ordered it, and another where a few people helped me build it. Plus the 2 Dayz threads, minecraft thread, steam gifts threads and probably others too. If you're going to stalk somebody on boards do it right!

Can you fell the love tonighttttttttt....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Think I will step out of the Nintendo E3 discussion. My question seems to have caused unintended offence.

I was genuinely curious about the design of Nintendo's games and what made them so appealing. My observation offended people, so I am sorry.

Another member of Boards was kind enough to suggest an answer that it reminds gamers of games with fond memories they played in their youth. That seems like a fair reason and I respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The XBox One bears more than a passing resemblance to the Commodore CDTV.

Just saying, like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Sarky wrote: »
    The XBox One bears more than a passing resemblance to the Commodore CDTV.

Just saying, like...

The ps4 didn't look all that different from the Xbox One either, keep that in mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just catching up today but one comment having watched the Ryse video. From what I can see they have managed to package everything I find wrong with games in general in one game which is some achievement but hey there is a market there so there ye go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The ps4 didn't look all that different from the Xbox One either, keep that in mind.

Maybe both will be catastrophic failures? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Sarky wrote: »
    Maybe both will be catastrophic failures? :pac:

I don't think either will be failures. Sony won E3 if there had to be a winner, and I say that as an Xbox player since the first Xbox. But people that say Xbox is done are just fooling themselves. This is going to push Microsoft into hitting back hard and it will interesting to see what they'll do from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

For a series whose sole distinguishing feature is that it reinvents itself with each new entry in the series I fail to understand what people mean by go back to it's roots?

Was referring more to the story I suppose there. The last few have been shocking attempts at story telling. Really terrible. Since FF12.

But from what ive seen the lack of turn based action or what seems like the lack of turn based action is very disappointing. I preferred the slower pace and a more tactical approach to fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

joe123 wrote: »
    Was referring more to the story I suppose there. The last few have been shocking attempts at story telling. Really terrible. Since FF12.

But from what ive seen the lack of turn based action or what seems like the lack of turn based action is very disappointing. I preferred the slower pace and a more tactical approach to fighting.

Final Fantasy has always had shocking attempts at storytelling. With Nomura on board it will just be even more shockingly bad but sure if it's fun I can forgive it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF XV confirmed for XBox One as well. No surprises there, I doubt there will be many 3rd party exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,677 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A lot of wailing and nashing of teeth going on, and nobody has even used the machines.

All of this internet 'outrage' is just some keyboards warriors who seem to think that their opinions count for the majority. While of course there will be a 'winner' of the two platforms, the other will most probably not be a 'loser'. The hardcore gamers will make their choice, but that is no the largest part of the market. And even so, many of these hardcore gamers will end if buying all the platforms anyway as that is what they always do.

The real fight is for the casual gamer, the family. Mammy & Daddy pick out the console for the kids. they aren't going to be too bothered about all this, the marketing departments make sure that any negative stuff is brushed over in store.

If i recall correctly many people said that MS had completely missed the boat on the consoles, Sony owed the market. Guess what happened? So chill out, wait until the actual finished products come out and we can all get our hands on them.

In terms of the DRM issue, I think MS has been sold down the river by the developers. Certainly the a large part of the benefit of this policy is to the developers, so I'm thinking that after they have been burnt MS will start to force developers to choose which side they are on. Either go with MS (and the potential for additional sales) or stick solely with Sony. that will be the deciding factor in this. MS have very deep pockets and don't like losing (although do seem to be getting quite used to it)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The 3ds is single handedly holding back the Wii U tbh. Anything I want on the Wii U, I can essentially get on the 3DS already

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

PS4 used game restrictions 'will be left up to the publishers' according to Sony. It's the same but it'll be interesting to see if it will be used more vigorously by publishers in this gen.

Also Sony have said that 'The Last Guardian' is on 'hiatus'. Pity, that looked to have a lot of potential. Doubt it'll see the light of day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Falthyron wrote: »
    Think I will step out of the Nintendo E3 discussion. My question seems to have caused unintended offence.

I was genuinely curious about the design of Nintendo's games and what made them so appealing. My observation offended people, so I am sorry.

Another member of Boards was kind enough to suggest an answer that it reminds gamers of games with fond memories they played in their youth. That seems like a fair reason and I respect that.

A better point to take away is that tastes in gaming vary broadly. I'm sure I'm very fond of games that wouldn't interest you at all and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Final Fantasy has always had shocking attempts at storytelling. With Nomura on board it will just be even more shockingly bad but sure if it's fun I can forgive it.

Not really true. FF9 is one of my all time favourite games, each character had a proper story that you would be interested in. A world that seemed like it was actually interesting.

When I think of Final Fantasy games I think of turn based fighting. IF Final Fantasy 15 loses the turn based element then I'l have very little interest in it. There are plenty of games on

Never was I as disgusted with a Final Fantasy game as I was with 13. From the awful story which was kind of expected, but the lack of a proper world and I absolutely hated the gameplay.

FF12's gameplay was really enjoyable and I loved the gambit system.

This new Final Fantasy seems all action. I really hope it doesn't turn out the way I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Corholio wrote: »
    PS4 used game restrictions 'will be left up to the publishers' according to Sony. It's the same but it'll be interesting to see if it will be used more vigorously by publishers in this gen.

Also Sony have said that 'The Last Guardian' is on 'hiatus'. Pity, that looked to have a lot of potential. Doubt it'll see the light of day now.

Pretty much same as now from Sony, where Microsoft have built it into the console. So, most we'll get on PS4 is online passes probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Corholio wrote: »

You can't expect anything more from them in terms of DRM in fairness. I doubt publishers will have the balls to put DRM on single player games. TLG has definitely moved to PS4 and it's going to look stunning.

Liamario wrote: »
    You can't expect anything more from them in terms of DRM in fairness. I doubt publishers will have the balls to put DRM on single player games.

Yes, but I can see them putting day 1 free substantial DLC codes in game boxes and similar nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

nesf wrote: »
    Yes, but I can see them putting day 1 free substantial DLC codes in game boxes and similar nonsense.

That's at their discretion to be fair. You're not required to like it.

Liamario wrote: »
    That's at their discretion to be fair. You're not required to like it.

Personally I don't mind it because I think the current used game market is bad for the gaming industry and gaming as a hobby. But I can see others being very annoyed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

nesf wrote: »
    Personally I don't mind it because I think the current used game market is bad for the gaming industry and gaming as a hobby. But I can see others being very annoyed by it.

Yes but punishing consumers because they MIGHT buy a second hand game is not the way to fight it

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes but punishing consumers because they MIGHT buy a second hand game is not the way to fight it

How does free day 1 DLC do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The real fight is for the casual gamer, the family. Mammy & Daddy pick out the console for the kids. they aren't going to be too bothered about all this, the marketing departments make sure that any negative stuff is brushed over in store.

Except that parents will also probably want something that's simple and striaghtforward to use. They won't want the hassle of all this "always connected" stuff.

I think the Wii U will still be the go-to console for stuff like that based purely off brand recognition.

Nintendo conference was okay imo, and I'll probably pick up a Wii U in the long run. The problem is that there just wasn't anything that exciting to me. The new Mario game looks like it will be fun but it doesn't look like a full on new Mario game the way Galaxy or Sunshine (both of which I loved) were.

The only Zelda we've got is a remake. It's a remake of what is probably in my top 5 games of all time but it's still a remake.

I'm sure Donkey Kong Country will be a tight platformer but still nothing really fresh about it. Same for Mario Kart. Beyonetta 2 will probably be great too but I hadn't played the previous one yet so I'm not going to get that excited for it considering most of what was shown wasn't game footage.

I'm kind of starting to think Nintendo needs some new franchises. They have some really good ones already, I admit but the updates are starting to seem more and more incremental. Not a big fan of how little actual gameplay was on display either.

Just to go on record here, I'm not anti-Nintendo at all. I got a Wii on launch day and used as my main console for about 3 years. I also depended entirely on the Gamecube even though literally nobody else I knew owned one and I insisted to everyone else that it was a great console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

people at spike are teasing metroid

whaaa?:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

people at spike are teasing metroid

whaaa?:eek:

Turned out to be the Wii Fit girl appearing in Super Smash Bros apparently? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Turned out to be the Wii Fit girl appearing in Super Smash Bros apparently? :rolleyes:

Da FuQ :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Da FuQ :confused:

Exactly. They just mentioned it on GameTrailers. No idea who she is. Unlockable character maybe. :pac:

Kotaku link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just watching the Nintendo direct now. I was hoping for a galaxy or sunshine too. When i heard there would be a new 3d mario, i stupidly assumed it would be that kind, as opposed to the 3ds kind. But it's on WiiU, right? So not actual 3d? Ah, i want to get excited about it, but i don't have any interest in multiplayer mario.
    Never even bothered getting nsmbu.

Will still get WWhd. Wonder if they might do this with mario sunshine? That'd be good.

Xenoblade (or whatever it is) looks cooool.

Advertisement