Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2013

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, doesare open. As always, Disney have a line which goes all the way around their booth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So doors just opened? cool.
    All the major players have shown their big titles. Am hoping there are a few sleeper hits yet to be shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And that's all of the keynotes finally watched. In summary? I laughed, I cried, I stared at the screen with a blank expression for minutes on end and I shook my head in utter dismay. Thankfully, compared to previous years, there was more of the former with a ton of stuff on show that I want to play, woop. :P

In terms of purchasing plans, I think the overall effect will be two-fold. On the WiiU side, it looks like I'll be getting one earlier than planned now that The Wonderful 100 has gotten its release date. The existing games on the platform should carry me into 2014 when the titles I'm really looking forward start to launch, read: Bayonetta 2.

As for the PS4/X1 issue, well in the end I felt MS showed off a better roster of exclusive games but Sony obviously had the better hardware reveal and general outlook going forward. Weighing all of this up and bearing in mind what I foresee will be some development headaches on the XBox One as time goes on, it looks like there'll be a rather interesting reversal in my console ownership this gen. While previously the 360 was my primary console and the PS3 used almost solely for its exclusives, this time around it appears MS' effort will be almost guaranteed to be relegated to a much later purchase with the PS4 taking center stage. I'd put that particular purchase sometime mid to late next year.

With Haswell now out I'll also be doing a bit of a PC upgrade in the meantime with my existing Q9550-based gear going into some form of under-the-TV device so I'll be quite interested to see how that effects my gaming habits too.

As an aside, an interesting point to note was the complete lack of Unreal Engine 4 powered games on show. While we got some in-game / in-engine stuff at the earlier reveals I was surprised at the lack of anything running on either of the two new platforms as part of the respective keynotes. I'd wager we'll be seeing a lot more of that engine at next year's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Damn Nintendo. They've gone and convinced me that I will have to buy a WiiU at some point. I know you can lay a claim against them that they take no risks and are relying on the same old IP but Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 both look sensational.

I thought the 3DS 3D Land title was great and the WiiU one looks a step above that. And that cat suit Mario is cool. One of my most played games of the last five years was Mario Kart Wii and this new one will be great I'm sure. Graphically it looks better than a PS3 or 360 game.

The added bonus will be the fun multiplayer on both titles. Anyone else think these games looked good?

Almost forgot about the new Yoshi's Island game for the 3DS. Looked okay but I'm not sure about the graphics. Something about it doesn't look as good as the SNES original.

I didn't mention Smash Bros. as I just don't get that franchise.

So, I'll get a WiiU sometime. PS4 first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dunno if this was posted already, not interested in Ninty so wasn't checking in but this is a bit mad. The ESA who owns and runs E3, call the cops on the OUYA stand who set up across the street.

photo-41.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Those scooters look ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Well, time to revisit this now:
    Expectations
    Mirrors Edge 2 revealed (and will have some exclusive Kinect functionality on Xbox One). Partially correct - the best kind in this case
    PS Vita gets a price cut in EMEA, and perhaps a hardware revision (not an update like Nintendo do at every opportunity). Fail! And a disappointing one at that
    Dark Souls II release date - I'd be astonished if we don't get this. March 2014
    New announcement of games for Playstation Plus IGC 1st birthday. Came just before E3... yay for XCOM
    More footage of Watch Dogs for everyone to salivate over. Check, but surpassed by The Division imo
    Widespread disappointment from gaming fans across the globe Some disappointment, but personally this has been the best E3 in years.

Hopes
    Naughty Dog reveal their PS4 exclusive. Fail
    Microsoft actually show some decent games for the Xbox One Pass - they showed some nice exclusives
    First look at TWD2 by TellTale Games 400 Days count?
    Half Life 3, Portal 3 and TF3 are jointly revealed to be part of "The Orange Box 2: The Quickening"! - At this point all other developers instantly give up on any games they're working on and bow down before Valve in awe! Still holding out hope for this one

Overall a great E3 imo - and it's not even over yet!

Have figured out what Lionel has been up to. They have an odd ipad game. But they still have lots of trains driving around in small circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

is there anyone left to present? i thought i heard that square enix were presenting tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

sheehy83 wrote: »
    photo-41.jpg

Looks like he's selling hotdogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Here's a list of all the games at E3 and their platforms.
    ZWK5YzZ.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Forza 5 looks bloody amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BIS games missing from that list.

Dayz Arma3 and Take On

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

World of Tanks missing from that list too. Really want to know if that's coming to PS4 too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

damnit 2 more games for pc and we'd have won e3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's definitely not a comprehensive list. I know Ys IV and Etrian Odyssey aren't on it and were at E3. No Shin Megami Tensei IV either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Do know what im really missing from E3 this year? Some ****ing awesome Old Republic CGI trailer. Just havent had anything on that level this year

World of Tanks missing from that list too. Really want to know if that's coming to PS4 too.

Not that I am aware of. Day1 did a lot of XBox work, so it was pretty easy for them to do XBox. More to the point, though, it is being published/marketed by MS, so I can't imagine a PS4 version.

Swung by CoH2, and I'm not massively impressed after the first two scenarios. Seems solid, and as good as the first one, which is no bad thing, but it lacks any wow factor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

wow.

Fifa 14 is being released on Ps2, Ps3 and Ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    wow.

As far as I'm aware, the ps4 and xbone versions are on a new engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kirby wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the ps4 and xbone versions are on a new engine.

The PC is also on the old engine with the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Varik wrote: »
    The PC is also on the old engine with the others.

Unsurprising, it's not aimed at hardcore PC gamers really. The minimum specs of the last iteration were well below the norm for the industry at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    wow.

And yet the Wii U is now powerful enough for them to develop a version for it... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

And yet the Wii U is now powerful enough for them to develop a version for it... :rolleyes:
    Of course it is, they just don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

No phantasy star online 2
    No Half Life 3
    No Shenmue 3
    No skies of arcadia 2
    No last Guardian

E3 sucked :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would like them to release FIFA on Wii U just to see the sales figures comparison between it and the PS2 version. Sure PS2 has a larger install base but how many people would get it for PS2 since they all more than likely have a PS3 or 360

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I would like them to release FIFA on Wii U just to see the sales figures comparison between it and the PS2 version. Sure PS2 has a larger install base but how many people would get it for PS2 since they all more than likely have a PS3 or 360

You'll get a lot of sales in developing countries on PS2. India and Brazil in particular will lap it up.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Swung by CoH2, and I'm not massively impressed after the first two scenarios. Seems solid, and as good as the first one, which is no bad thing, but it lacks any wow factor for me.

Single player for the first game was good but not amazing. But the series really shines in multiplayer once you understand the game mechanics, I don't think there is an RTS that can touch it.

As for the second one, its got some improvements and some area's that I feel aren't as good as the first but its still good. Just not making the impact on me the first game did. I probably have 40 hours or so played between the open and closed beta's, so I've more than got my money out of it and that's even before the games released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

My point being though was, is Fifa 14 the first game to be released on 3 different console generations? Remarkable stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

No phantasy star online 2
    No Half Life 3
    No Shenmue 3
    No skies of arcadia 2
    No last Guardian

E3 sucked :mad:

:pac:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 would kick most of their asses.

Advertisement