Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Kit question

Options
  • 02-06-2013 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Hi, am new to this activity and going by other recommendations it seems I should get myself a starter kit and make a nice straightforward ale first time around.

With that in mind my question is about the best starter kit

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/30-l-budget-beer-starter-kit-with-32-pint-ingredient-kit-843-p.asp

Or

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/30-l-budget-beer-starter-kit-with-32-pint-ingredient-kit-843-p.asp

So the latter is more expensive but I don't mind that so much if it's money we'll spent that will take me in the right direction. Also it's got caps and a capper. These aren't mentioned in the former though the picture seems to include them.

What I was hoping to get advice from someone experienced on is ...

1: is avoiding syphons better? Why?

2: which would you get?

3: if the latter is better, can I get a recommendation for an ale kit and brewer's sugar pack. Could I make a nice IPA first time around?

4: I've seen you can get all sorts of packs as opposed to doing the mash yourself. I'm sticking to the packs till I kniw what I'm doing but is there that much of a difference doing all the work yourself?

Thanks everyone and looking forward to getting started on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

gosplan wrote: »
    Hi, am new to this activity and going by other recommendations it seems I should get myself a starter kit and make a nice straightforward ale first time around.

Or

So the latter is more expensive but I don't mind that so much if it's money we'll spent that will take me in the right direction. Also it's got caps and a capper. These aren't mentioned in the former though the picture seems to include them.

What I was hoping to get advice from someone experienced on is ...

2: which would you get?

3: if the latter is better, can I get a recommendation for an ale kit and brewer's sugar pack. Could I make a nice IPA first time around?

4: I've seen you can get all sorts of packs as opposed to doing the mash yourself. I'm sticking to the packs till I kniw what I'm doing but is there that much of a difference doing all the work yourself?

Thanks everyone and looking forward to getting started on this.

Just clicked both links and they are the same thing. Neither mention including a capper or caps but you will need both. Have you checked out the homebrewcompany. You could be better getting the bits separate.

Regarding an IPA you can indeed make a nice one, I would look for the Coopers kit and a brew enhancer, maybe some cascade hops to go with it.

Mashing is a huge step up from kit making in terms of time , effort and cost of equipment needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just clicked both links and they are the same thing. Neither mention including a capper or caps but you will need both. Have you checked out the homebrewcompany. You could be better getting the bits separate.

Regarding an IPA you can indeed make a nice one, I would look for the Coopers kit and a brew enhancer, maybe some cascade hops to go with it.

Mashing is a huge step up from kit making in terms of time , effort and cost of equipment needed

Sorry, post error by me. Second one is...

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewferm-syphonless-traditional-starter-kit-with-bottling-bucket-caps-and-capper-best-value-1372-p.asp

Any place I can find out about brew enhancer and cascade hops?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

This may not be any help to you, but I used to find the Edme superbrew gold bitter very good and very forgiving for a beginner, also a bloody good tasty beer.

Not sure if you will be able to buy the Edme in Ireland but it is available in UK online beer shops.

Just a suggestion.

Sorry, post error by me. Second one is...

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewferm-syphonless-traditional-starter-kit-with-bottling-bucket-caps-and-capper-best-value-1372-p.asp

Any place I can find out about brew enhancer and cascade hops?? Thanks.

Ok, brew enhancer found. Coopers do one so I'll just go with them for everything the first time.

As regards the hops. Would you just add them yourself to a kit beer? What form do you get them in?

Personally I never bother adding anything to a kit beer, certainly with the Edme one it didn't need anything else.

I don't see the point of brew enhancers, but each to their own.

If it is your first ever attempt perhaps it would be best just to start at the beginning?

• Advertisement

Get the coopers ipa kit, 1 or 2kg's of spraymalt (depending on how strong you like your beer) and some yeast (I like the white labs liquid yeasts) and you are good to go. I've made several ipa kits and they all turned out brilliantly.

doesn't the yeast come with the ipa pack?

Why would you be messing around with the strength of the beer??? surely that is something that comes after being a beginner....when you have started mashing your own brews?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

monkeynuz wrote: »
    doesn't the yeast come with the ipa pack?

Why would you be messing around with the strength of the beer??? surely that is something that comes after being a beginner....when you have started mashing your own brews?

The yeast that comes with the pack isn't great. U want to get safale us5 yeast instead.

Regarding hops you want to get it in pellet form as u will only be using 30g and can freeze the rest. Stick to 1 kilo of fermentables at first, this will keep your abv around 4.8 if you make 20 ltr batches

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

to start with keep it very simple.

x1 kit

x1 can of liquid malt http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/light-premium-liquid-malt-extract-15kg-p-1748.html

x1 type of hops, this is not essential but will improve the beer.

what is essential, you must sanitize everything.

• Advertisement

blueshed wrote: »
    to start with keep it very simple.

x1 kit

x1 can of liquid malt http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/light-premium-liquid-malt-extract-15kg-p-1748.html

x1 type of hops, this is not essential but will improve the beer.

what is essential, you must sanitize everything.

Thanks blueshed. 'Keep it simple' sounds like the type of advice I should be following.

A couple of questions regarding your recommendations if you don't mind...

1: If I'm using liquid malt, do I use less brewers sugar?

2: What kind of quantity of hops? When is it added?

Many thanks in advance.

Anyone got any advice about the two equipment kits I posted about?

Does avoiding syphons bring any advantage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Anyone got any advice about the two equipment kits I posted about?

Does avoiding syphons bring any advantage?

Personaly I'd buy the second one because your probably going to buy the extra bits at some stage anyway. I have 6 ferm bins and not one of them has a tap, I siphon everything, is there and advantage not using them, yes but I've never had a problem with them. Just clean everything before and after use.

Devi wrote: »
    Personaly I'd buy the second one because your probably going to buy the extra bits at some stage anyway. I have 6 ferm bins and not one of them has a tap, I siphon everything, is there and advantage not using them, yes but I've never had a problem with them. Just clean everything before and after use.

Cheers. Actually went for the second but couldn't use a credit card on that site so got this instead.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-33lt-fermenters-p-968.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Cheers. Actually went for the second but couldn't use a credit card on that site so got this instead.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-33lt-fermenters-p-968.html

That’s actually the one I got when I started, good well rounded kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The second one has 2 fermenters. That is an important point - you can batch prime, or have 2 kits on the go at once. Impatience can get to you in this hobby, I would always recommend having 2 kits on the go.

They can be messy if you spill them etc. I still find them preferable to other options for things like batch priming. They can be tricky to clean and keep clean.
    3: if the latter is better, can I get a recommendation for an ale kit and brewer's sugar pack.

Skip 'brewing sugar' or any other form of diluted malt. Home brew west sell cheap cans of liquid malt extract (around €7). I have used them, and they are perfectly fine.

I haven't used many kits, but I got great results out of the Brewferm kits (old brown was fab).

Favour darker beer kits, they tend to come out better than kits claiming to make lager, pilsner, mexican cervesa etc.
    Could I make a nice IPA first time around?

Dont see why not, there are good IPA kits out there. You might be better off looking for a 3Kg or a 4Kg kit, to get a really good IPA.

Kits are quick. WHen you are practiced, you will be able to get the brew on, and everything cleaned up in under an hour.

WHen you are doing any form of All Grain there is more work. Brew in a Bag, can be done on kitchen stove, and you can get everything done in about 4-5 hours. With the triple vessel system it will take longer again.

Your beer will be better though, as you have complete control over all the ingredients, and you are doing a boil (which is an important part of the process). Your beers will also be considerably cheaper. I can get 22L of beer made for about £12-15 if I go light on the hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Devi wrote: »

Taps are a less invasive way of taking gravity readings.

I have used them before for bottling, but prefer to siphon off the beer instead now, as the taps will normally collect a lot of sediment, and is an infection risk - you cant effectively clean it while the fermenter is full.

Advertisement