Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent conversion help needed

Options
  • 02-06-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

We really, really need our van on the road ASAP. For insurance we require two windows to be filled so it looks less bus-like, white metal on the outside. Also the cooker to have copper piping and a heat shield. Can anyone recommend a professional outfit (or hobbyist) who could do this? I can pay the going rate plus any premium for fitting us in quickly. We are not incompetent but short of time and no experience. I am happy to go into our reasons for speed via PM but not out here. Its really very important that we get this thing on the road now and I would appreciate any help to get it so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

Dublin. Sorry that's important isn't it? :o Particularly as we can't drive (insure) it until these things are done....

You could get someone with bus insurance to transfer their insurance for the day you need to move it.

Or HGV insurance (guessing it's over 3.5 ton) as long as you've taken most of the seats out.

Know nobody with camper insurance, hgv will ask around (it is currently plated as over 3.5- weigh station is another place it needs to go to!).

If you can afford to wait they weigh the vehicle for the engineers report and probably the DOT centre too being that it's the same thing really. I can't remember if it was on my DOT report probably wasn't paying attention because I already knew the result.

• Advertisement

It already has an engineer's report (its a fully converted motorhome, we just need to do these extra things because of the particular insurance we need to go with- having no other vehicle). It doesn't look like a proper weighing however as it just says 3.5 on everything. :confused:

Am not sure what DOT refers to (but I know DoE is not the proper term for this roadworthiness test either). If you mean the 'DoE' then the garage we sent it to would not have weighed it, only gone by plates inside the vehicle. We think we're grand we've that side really, just want to expediate the practical things that need doing.

In terms of moving it we can pay for a garage to take it somewhere, but obviously that would get very expensive dependent on distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I used this guy to fix may camper van after I'd a wind leak rott part of the pannel inside. http://www.petersrepairservice.net/ he's a plubmer but he used to fix caravans, he's be able to do the gas no problem and could well be able to do the windows. He's in Churchtown D14

Cool, caravan fixer upper sounds good for the window job and perfect for the gas one. Wonder if he has appropriate insurance by any chance?? Camper currently outside partner's parents place in D4.

Am not sure what DOT refers to (but I know DoE is not the proper term for this roadworthiness test either).

DoE = department of environment ...changed to
    DoT = Department of transport ....soon to be
    CVR = like how they changed "road" tax to "motor" tax so the government aren't liable to vehicle damage due to poor road surfacing ...as far as I'm concerned

Advertisement