Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soy Isoflavone + TTC

Options
  • 02-06-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi Ladies!

TTC for nearly 2 years now with every sort of gimic on the market! My gyne wont give me Clomid, as I am not married but have been in a relationship with my DB for so many years its hard to keep count :P !!
    Marrage, not for me, and unfortunatly, this country frowns upon the thought of an unmarried mother.... So, in the meantime, Im trying EVERYTHING else....

I tried to purchase Clomid online, but The Medicine Board Customs took them. I know, more fool me, but when you're as desperate as I am to concieve, the mother instinct kicks in and you will try anything once!!

I have been reading about Soy Isoflavones and bought myself some a few weeks ago. I am now 3 days in and praying so hard they will help me O.
    I have PCOS And cannot remember the last time I O'd. So im hoping and praying something will happen! OPK at the ready!!!

Has anyone tried these before? And if so any success stories? PM if your story is too personal for open discussion :) i really want to hear from ladies who are as desperate as me :) :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Also, stats for the Soy Isoflavone:

TTC: 2 Years

Taking SF: CD 2-7

Dosage: 120mg 2-5, 160mg 6-7 for that extra boost!

Side Effects: None so far I think, maybe a little thirsty! Taking them at night! Currently on day 3!

O: Will keep you posted as the month progresses!!!

Other Meds: Vit D, Omacor, Fertility Boosters, Glucophage1000mg, Cyclogest Progesterone 10days of month to induce period.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

I took soy for 3 months, no joy. Went on hols and forgot to take them with me for the 4th month and as I didn't know what they were called in another language I just did without. Funny enough, this was the month I got pregnant!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

fend wrote: »
    Hi Ladies!

TTC for nearly 2 years now with every sort of gimic on the market! My gyne wont give me Clomid, as I am not married but have been in a relationship with my DB for so many years its hard to keep count :P !!
    Marrage, not for me, and unfortunatly, this country frowns upon the thought of an unmarried mother.... So, in the meantime, Im trying EVERYTHING else....

change gynae doctors. Its kind of unfair to blame an entire country for one doctors personal bias.:P Throughout my TTC investigations with my gynae GP, dealings with 3 different gynae consultants during fertility treatment, plus the endocrine doctors that I also saw, right up to the professor and fourth gynae consultant who checked me all through pregnancy my marital status was never ever referred to.

I can pm you the names of the ones that were happy to prescribe me clomid. if you are interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Thanks Neyite,

That would be super helpful if you don't mind :p
    Hoping this year will be the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 velvet rose

just wondering did you have any success with the soy isoflavones? just found out i have pcos after trying for a long long time. i am considering trying it next cycle before im referred on to gynae.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KerryMammy

Hello, not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I wanted to share my experience as some of you may find it interesting.

I have 2 children (2 year old and 7 month old) both conceived during cycles of Clomid. Myself and my husband were anxious to go again quickly after number 2 but as we have since moved from Dublin, access to my Dublin-based gynae was more difficult and I really didn't feel like forking out over €150 to get a prescription for Clomid unless I had to.

So...I started browsing the internet about 5/6 weeks ago and happened upon some threads on Soy Isoflavones and it being "nature's answer to Clomid". I decided to give it a go, what did I have to lose? So, I bought them from Holland & Barrett and did the following:

1) Days 2-6 I took 8 tablets each day (there were 23mg of isoflavones in the capsules I bought and as I read they are supposed to be half as powerful of Clomid, in which anywhere between 50mg and 100mg daily dose is prescribed, 8 would give me 184mg).

2) Days 11-16 I took 10 mls each day of Exputex cough medicine (this is what the gynae instructed during the Clomid cycles to increase the production of mucous so I thought there was no harm to do it here also).

3) Applied the SMEP (Sperm Meets Egg Plan) in relation to "doing the deed". This is basically where you DTD every second day starting day 8. From day 10 use the OPK. Once you get a smiley, DTD for 3 consecutive days, then one day's break and then once more.

Waited the 2 weeks (16 days in totally actually just to be on the safe side!), took a pregnancy test yesterday and it was immediately a very strong positive. We are delighted, albeit a little shocked it happened on the first cycle as we thought it might take a bit longer (on Clomid it took until the 3rd cycle both times).

By the way, I was diagnosed a number of years ago with borderline PCOS, hence the need for Clomid for first two conceptions.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hmmm, I'm a clomid graduate here too. I guess its worth a try while I'm on the waiting list for the consultant.

Congrats, btw :) wishing you a happy and safe pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

KerryMammy wrote: »
    1) Days 2-6
    2) Days 11-16
    3) Applied the SMEP (Sperm Meets Egg Plan) in relation to "doing the deed". This is basically where you DTD every second day starting day 8. From day 10 use the OPK. Once you get a smiley, DTD for 3 consecutive days, then one day's break and then once more.

Do you have to take this at certain times during your cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KerryMammy

Hello Silly!

Well, I took them for the same 5 days (days 2 to 6 inclusive) that I took Clomid for. If you search it on the internet, you will see variances of this but basically for 5 consecutive days at the start of your cycle.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement