Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-legal experience still valid?

• 02-06-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all, I have secured a summer internship in one of the big 4 accounting firms this summer and I start in a few weeks. I am wondering if people think this is valid experience in an attempt to gain a legal training contract in the future? Some people have said I'd be better off working in a small legal practice unpaid for the summer but I'm unconvinced and was wondering what others thought? Cheers guys

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Experience is experience. Yes. It might not be directly relevant but take it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Go for it - you'll probably spend a lot of time reviewing board minutes and other legal documents, so that might be relevant for any interviews etc you end up doing.

Also, many Big 4 summer interns get offered places on the graduate program for when they finish college, no harm keeping your options open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Blackrockcomet

Take it and make sure to write down everything you do. It will show that you have business/commercial awareness which would be quite important for a traineeship at a big commercial law firm. Plus, as said above, it'll give you options within the big 4 accountancy sphere which most law grads would kill for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Take it and then grab some quick and dirty small firm experience latter on down the line. You're just as likely to manning the photo-copier in either place. If you can get a decent small firm you'll have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Thanks all for the feedback. Some people have told me I would be water off spending the time in a legal small practice even working 2 days a week unpaid just to be doing law work but surely its the skills you gain that matter rather than the place ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

People say (some) that people who work in the top 5 legal firms are pigeon holed into that and find it difficult to break into a smaller general practice. I don't know if accounting will suit what you want to do later on but if Work Ex is going I'd take it.

Grab some more during term time at a small solicitors firm - it's easier to get fun stuff to do in a smaller firm where people will get to know you. Don't expect much structure though.

Advertisement