Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is buying new games a waste of money with ONE coming?

• 02-06-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I will probably (ok definitely) be getting the ONE later this year and was going to buy a game yesterday but then thought I won't be able to use it on the new gen console, so didn't buy. Anyone else thinking like this:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

You'd be crazy to not keep your 360 so buying new games ain't a problem. This year there ain't a lot on the 360 anyway you have GTA V, Arkham Origins and a few others.
    You just won't be buying as many games tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Your 360 isn't going to stop working once the XBox One is released and the games aren't going to be backwards compatible so why would you stop buying them for your 360 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chiefohara05

gizmo wrote: »
    Your 360 isn't going to stop working once the XBox One is released and the games aren't going to be backwards compatible so why would you stop buying them for your 360 now?

Convenience really.

I have a PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360. I play the PS2 only once in a blue moon cause i have to pull the Xbox 360 out and put the PS2 in.

Xbox box games mostly work fine on the 360, so i find i play them more often.

As for backwards compatibility .... well xbox one would have had a guaranteed sale from me if it was backwards compatible for no other reason than i am on my second 360 and if that one gives up the ghost i would have used the Xbox One.

Now with all the registration and used games and logging online at least once a day stuff... think ill hold off for six months after release to see how the console wars are faring out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Convenience really.

I have a PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360. I play the PS2 only once in a blue moon cause i have to pull the Xbox 360 out and put the PS2 in.

Xbox box games mostly work fine on the 360, so i find i play them more often.

As for backwards compatibility .... well xbox one would have had a guaranteed sale from me if it was backwards compatible for no other reason than i am on my second 360 and if that one gives up the ghost i would have used the Xbox One.

Now with all the registration and used games and logging online at least once a day stuff... think ill hold off for six months after release to see how the console wars are faring out
    Well for starters, when it comes to switching between the more modern consoles, get yourself something like one of these rather than having to pull one console out and the other in again. :)

I certainly understand the convenience argument but with so many great games still to come for the current generation, I think you'd be mad to hold off so soon. Waiting a couple of months after the new consoles launch is most certainly a good idea too so you should have plenty of time (and games) left to enjoy the current gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As long as you have a functioning 360 yours games catalogue is safe, your physical copies that is.
    If you have bought a lot of DLC and other XBLA stuff you could be in trouble, because once the console dies, if the servers are toast, so are your purchases.
    So, enjoy them while you can, and replace as much as you can by getting the physical copies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 chiefohara05

Well for starters, when it comes to switching between the more modern consoles, get yourself something like one of these rather than having to pull one console out and the other in again. :)

Thank you!
    I certainly understand the convenience argument but with so many great games still to come for the current generation, I think you'd be mad to hold off so soon. Waiting a couple of months after the new consoles launch is most certainly a good idea too so you should have plenty of time (and games) left to enjoy the current gen.

That i would definitely agree with, when the PS4 came out i was planning to grab a PS3 when it came down in price and some choice games. to bide the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I was planning on trading in my 360 to offset the cost of the ONE and decluttering my room, I can also get rid of my 1st gen PS3 as I only use it for watching blu-ray movies.
    I don't buy a lot of games so was thinking if I hold of until November I can have a clean sweep. Also will I be able to download arcade titles that I already paid for on the ONE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Well there's no point in buying new games when the One is so close.

But then, there's no point in buying the One, when the next big thing is around the corner.

I know I will buy games up to and after the release of the one. Hell, if there was still new releases on the PS2, depending on the game, I'd pick them up.

EDIT: No, you won't be able to D/L you Arcade titles for the One, NO backwards compatibility. NONE. ZIP. IN NO WAY POSSIBLE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you have bought a lot of DLC and other XBLA stuff you could be in trouble, because once the console dies, if the servers are toast, so are your purchases.
    I haven't done this yet, as I don't have space on my external hard drives, but at some point, I plan on making Xbox storage space usable on one of 'em, put my profile on it along with the games.

When I went from the 20 GB 360 that I got first to the 120 GB, I moved things with the memory unit. I didn't go with the cable you can get as then you'd have to be online to get to use it. If you go the memory stick/external storage route, though, it's still associated with your profile and you can move it to any other console. Is that changed or is there some obstacle to that I'm unaware of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As long as you have a functioning 360 yours games catalogue is safe, your physical copies that is.
    So, enjoy them while you can, and replace as much as you can by getting the physical copies.

For Xbox 360 Games on Demand, DLC and XBLA stuff. If your 360 dies and you buy a new one, you can transfer the licences to the new one and you should be good to go.

The link to see how to do that is on Xbox.com.

Hope that helps clear that up.

That said, it's still a slight pity that there's no Backwards Compatibility on the Xbox One - not a deal breaker, but a pity. I'm kind of in the same position as the OP - holding off on buying new stuff for 360 because I know it won't work for Xbox One.

• Advertisement

Your 360 isn't going to stop working once the XBox One is released

really ? Mine stop working all the time.

For Xbox 360 Games on Demand, DLC and XBLA stuff. If your 360 dies and you buy a new one, you can transfer the licences to the new one and you should be good to go.
    That's one thing. Though, give it X years, the 360 servers are going to be gone, and you will not be able to get at the games again. This leaves you with two choices. Not have much downloaded in which case your stuff will all fit on the 360 HDD. That not being an option, you can make an external hard drive/external storage (or some of it) usable as Xbox storage. You can then move the stuff on to that, and you will have access to your games should you need to replace consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The link to see how to do that is on Xbox.com.

Hope that helps clear that up.

That said, it's still a slight pity that there's no Backwards Compatibility on the Xbox One - not a deal breaker, but a pity. I'm kind of in the same position as the OP - holding off on buying new stuff for 360 because I know it won't work for Xbox One.

The launch is is November (just in time for my bday yay) you've got plenty of time to play them. I think the release of the updated 360 also indicates that it will keep on going even once the 360 is out.

Would be cool if ms joined the streaming band wagon and let you stream all of your old dlc through all of those servers that their putting in place.

I could imagine lots of sales coming to 360 by the launch of the one, only more reason to keep it and keep playing ;) most of my friends on Xbox are not going to buy it on day one anyway and keep using the 360 till the price drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The launch is is November (just in time for my bday yay) you've got plenty of time to play them. I think the release of the updated 360 also indicates that it will keep on going even once the 360 is out.

Would be cool if ms joined the streaming band wagon and let you stream all of your old dlc through all of those servers that their putting in place.

I could imagine lots of sales coming to 360 by the launch of the one, only more reason to keep it and keep playing ;) most of my friends on Xbox are not going to buy it on day one anyway and keep using the 360 till the price drops.
    Hmm. Microsoft are breathing further life into the 360 by giving two free Games on Demand games to all Xbox Live Gold members each month until the end of the year (starting with Fable III now, and then two games each month from July until Xbox One Launch in November).

This is equal parts
    • Awesome: Free stuff - it's yours to keep even if you stop being gold
    • Reactive: Microsoft working to garner goodwill from all the other fiasco to do with the Xbox one Launch.
    • Keeping members Gold: This will probably encourage a lot of people to stay paying for Xbox Live, who otherwise would have let it lapse until the One releases later this year.
    • Training the Masses: Have you tried playing a Games on Demand game with no Internet connection? The system really doesn't like that ... if you compare how that behaves on the 360 to the way Microsoft have implemented it with Xbox One, you'll be relieved with how Xbox One implements it :)

But, hey, it's some Xbox classic games for Free and Free full games is always good (unless you just bought them for cash or were planning to trade them in any time soon, then it's just bad timing).

[*]Training the Masses: Have you tried playing a Games on Demand game with no Internet connection? The system really doesn't like that ... if you compare how that behaves on the 360 to the way Microsoft have implemented it with Xbox One, you'll be relieved with how Xbox One implements it :)
    [/LIST]
    I haven't bought anything on GoD. What happens? It doesn't allow you play?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No.

Continue to buy and enjoy the games on current gen machines. I'll be keeping my 360 as there is easily 2-3 years left in it and I have alot of arcade stuff on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

FutureGuy wrote: »
    No.

Continue to buy and enjoy the games on current gen machines. I'll be keeping my 360 as there is easily 2-3 years left in it and I have alot of arcade stuff on it.

This.

Titanfall will be coming to 360 which is a definite purchase for me as I won't be getting a One until at least a couple years after launch depending on the exclusives and console performance.

I see absolutely no reason to get rid of your 360/ps3 or stop buying games as they will still be very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I wouldn't consider buying GTA V a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Whats the point in stopping to buy games now when you'll still have to wait another few months for the next gen consoles. I wouldn't consider it a waste of money you have plenty of time to play new games.

I'll never get rid of my 360 and will continue to play it as long as theres new games for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭halolma

Yea definitely keep your 360.

What with Grand Theft Auto V, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and a few others... some of which won't be on Xbox One anytime soon.

Titanfall is amazing, and to be honest, waste of time not getting it on the Xbox One.. it looks amazing on the XB1...

Just seen a video of it yesterday, pretty f*****g sweet!! The youtube vids that are about don't do the game any justice

• Advertisement

Whatever about how good it looks on the X1, I can see problems with Ttanfall in terms of how many people will have it. I can see lots of people getting it for 360, and X1 lobbies being much quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Whatever about how good it looks on the X1, I can see problems with Ttanfall in terms of how many people will have it. I can see lots of people getting it for 360, and X1 lobbies being much quieter.

From what I've read titanfall is only a timed exclusive so I would pick it up for the 360 and then the ps4 when it came out eventually, if it was good enough.

Dedicated servers for all games, 1080p, 60FPS, more players in online gamesI]BF4 alone will have up to 64 players[maybe more[/I... I really doubt that it will be that quiet!

I would rather choose the Xbox One that the 360 version.

From what I've read titanfall is only a timed exclusive so I would pick it up for the 360 and then the ps4 when it came out eventually, if it was good enough.

Its exclusive to Xbox 360/Xbox One/PC

PS4 it won't be as of yet.. next year you never know.. but definitely not in the first 6mths of release of Xbox One.

I am not saying it will NEVER EVER come to PS4, but nothing is confirmed or even announced officially yet.

halolma wrote: »
    Dedicated servers for all games, 1080p, 60FPS, more players in online gamesI]BF4 alone will have up to 64 players[maybe more[/I... I really doubt that it will be that quiet!

I would rather choose the Xbox One that the 360 version.
    The size of the lobbies don't matter if more people get Titanfall on 360 than One. Depending on how many people get it on X1 of course.

The size of the lobbies don't matter if more people get Titanfall on 360 than One. Depending on how many people get it on X1 of course.

Well this is the point... so far pre-orders are up 2% over the 360s launch... It's still 5mths away from launch... and there will be more people pre-ordering it...

I don't see the XB1 being that much of a problem the way people see it.

Its a good price, not the best, but good. Its got some much power compared to the 360, then the potential of the cloud Azure that they will be using...

At the end of the day its up to you want console you choose to buy or what games... but everyone I know and on Xbox Live area ordering one, so thats about 60+ people... they are all still keeping their 360s too, for games that are not coming to XB1.

GTA V etc...

Advertisement