Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does PRTB registration take?

Options
  • 02-06-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Just a quick question hope someone here has the answer to. Being renting an apartment through a letting agency since the beginning of February. When I signed the lease I also had to fill in some details on a PRTB registration form to allow the tenancy to be registered ( I think this was then forwarded on to the landlord to fill in also). Just checked the registry for my county and my an apartment isn't on it. I had checked a few weeks after I moved in but I just assumed it took a while to be processed. How long does it usually take for registration to go through? Also, should I have gotten a letter confirming my registration or does that all go to the landlord? Going to contact the letting agent on Tuesday to find out what the story is but thought I'd just get others' experiences on time taken for registration so that I'll know if its normal for it to take this long or not. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The website may never be updated with your property. The site is notorious for not being up to date and missing information. A phone call may get you the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The website may never be updated with your property. The site is notorious for not being up to date and missing information. A phone call may get you the answer

Thanks, will give them a call on Tuesday to check. Should I have received a letter confirming my registration though or would it only be the landlord that would receive one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Thanks, will give them a call on Tuesday to check. Should I have received a letter confirming my registration though or would it only be the landlord that would receive one?

I dont think that the tenant gets a letter of confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

djimi wrote: »

The tenant absolutely gets a letter of confirmation and, being a tenant of a property which has gone through a number of receiverships and changes of ownership, it's quite possible to get a number of such confirmations during a single tenancy. The PRTB letter exhorts the recipient to file it carefully as copies are not available!

There is always the possibility of admin error but having (in some ways unnecessarily) been the recipient of 4-5 of these letters, I can confirm that they do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My landlord re-registered my place on 1 March and i received the letter in the middle of April.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies, will definitely get onto to the letting agent/PRTB to find out what the story is. Will keep ye posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

Thanks for all the replies, will definitely get onto to the letting agent/PRTB to find out what the story is. Will keep ye posted!
    Why would you be concerned about if they registered the tenancy or not, just seems to me like a waste of your time?

Genuine question, as I thought the tenant had the same rights whether the landlord is registered or not, in either case a tenant can open a PRTB dispute.

petecork wrote: »
    Why would you be concerned about if they registered the tenancy or not, just seems to me like a waste of your time?

Genuine question, as I thought the tenant had the same rights whether the landlord is registered or not, in either case a tenant can open a PRTB dispute.

I've no real reason for wanting my tenancy to be registered other then that it should be (I'm a bit of a perfectionist:o). I've spent the last few years living in owner occupied/with relatives of owners in which I had very little rights and when I asked for receipts they wouldn't give them to me etc. This time I wanted to do everything properly, hence I went to a letting agent so that I would definitely have a lease and would be registered with the PRTB. Also, when I signed the lease, they got to me sign the PRTB forms, so I'd be a bit annoyed if they were trying to make out to tenants that they were registering their tenancy, but never following through on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

djimi wrote: »

You do...i got one :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If there was any error with the form (ie something not filled out correctly) it could take over a year for the PRTB to contact the landlord to get the information so the tenancy will not show as registered until then although this does not affect the landlord or the tenants right with regard to the tenancy.

• Advertisement

You do...i got one :)

Directly from the PRTB? I don't think I have ever gotten a letter of confirmation about any tenancy being registered and I know for a fact that they all were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In my last apt, I got the letter from the PRTB (confirming my landlord registering my tenancy with them) in about 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If its done online and all the details are in order- typically you should receive a confirmation of registration within 6-8 weeks. Any errors at all- minimum 6 months, not unusual over a year and very often, no receipt for either tenant or landlord (one case last week where non-registration was claimed could only be refuted with a credit card statement showing the payment- the PRTB claimed to have no records whatsoever on file).

If all the ducks are lined up- registration is a simple process. Even slight issues- and its shambles.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    In my last apt, I got the letter from the PRTB (confirming my landlord registering my tenancy with them) in about 3 weeks.

Fair enough, maybe I am mistaken about not getting a letter. Its been nearly 3 years since I moved in here so I may have forgotten about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

You should receive a letter which gives details of the tenancy. It is important to mind it in just in case you need to use the PRTB.
    It may take up to 8 weeks (or more!) before you receive it.

I find the Register of Tenancies not very user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I filled in the prtb form when i moved in. Got letter around 6 months later. No sign of me on their register though. Best of ringing them hopefully there not as unreliable in person as their website is.

Thanks for all the replies, have to contact the letting agent about another (more important) issue tomorrow so I'll mention not being on the register/not getting a letter and see what they say.Thanks again

Advertisement