Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixed-race Cheerios commerical - why the hate?

• 02-06-2013 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Faceless internet trolls have disgraced themselves again. In America, a new commercial depicting a biracial family - white mother, black father and mixed-race daughter - has sparked several nasty comments from people, with references to "racial purity" and "white genocide".

I find these reactions deeply depressing. I blame it partly on ignorance, but I also think that a complacent mindset among the modern media should bear some of the responsibility.

In particular, those who constantly and exclusively refer to Barack Obama as the "first black President of the United States". Well, yes, Barack Obama is the first black President, but he is also the 44th white President of the United States. His ancestry is as much white as it is black, and therefore describing him as white has as much legitimacy.

The truth is, Obama is the first biracial or mixed-race US President. Mixed-race people are the fastest growing ethnic minority in the UK - expected to be the largest minority in 2020 - yet many people still pretend they don't exist.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

love cheerios! great way to start the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

First/Third world problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In particular, those who constantly and exclusively refer to Barack Obama as the "first black President of the United States". Well, yes, Barack Obama is the first black President, but he is also the 44th white President of the United States. His ancestry is as much white as it is black, and therefore describing him as white has as much legitimacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Because people are idiots.
    Anybody who dislikes someone based purely on their skin colour is an imbecile and should be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Mixed race people are hot!!

I'm not being racist against either black or white peoples looks, but it's like when you mix the two together, the best features from both races show in their children!

I'm trying to think of an example of an ugly mixed race person, and I can't.

Prob a very shallow statement, but I don't care!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm not being racist against either black or white peoples looks, but

Whoop, there it is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Eddie Van Halen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

The truth is, Obama is the first biracial or mixed-race US President. Mixed-race people are the fastest growing ethnic minority in the UK - expected to be the largest minority in 2020 - yet many people still pretend they don't exist.

Apart from the username / post content fail, expressions like "fastest growing ethnic minority", "largest minority"... I mean, English please! Phrases like that make absolutely no sense, and especially when you consider that mixed race persons are also a mix of two ethnicities and trying to separate them into their own "mixed race" ethnicity... That makes no sense either!

It's not that most people are complacent about the issue of racism or want to pretend mixed race people don't exist, it's just that most people don't HAVE any issue with people who are mixed race, and those that do are very much in a minority.

It's a fcuking advert for a breakfast cereal, marketing department knew what they were doing, it gets them publicity. No such thing as bad publicity and call me cynical but watch sales of cheerios rocket in support of our bi-racial buddies.

Absolute nonsense from both sides IMO.

Mixed race people are hot!!

I'm not being racist against either black or white peoples looks, but it's like when you mix the two together, the best features from both races show in their children!

That's how genetics and evolution works tbh, given that children inherit their genetic traits from both parents. It's not limited to skin color either.

Personal taste and all, but I've met plenty of mixed race people who would be aesthetically challenged IMO, and I can think of plenty more.

Shallow but understandable, doesn't make you a racist either, but the first thought that did come into my head was the whole "mocha babies" nonsense you'll hear young white girls go on about when referring to black men. I just usually facepalm and think to myself "oh grow up!".

Ahh, that's a lovely ad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Faceless internet trolls have disgraced themselves again. In America, a new commercial depicting a biracial family - white mother, black father and mixed-race daughter - has sparked several nasty comments from people, with references to "racial purity" and "white genocide".

I find these reactions deeply depressing. I blame it partly on ignorance, but I also think that a complacent mindset among the modern media should bear some of the responsibility.

Obama isn't black,he's Antichrist....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

there is always idiots out there - the problem with the internet is that they now have a louder voice but people are stupid to give any more credence to these people than they would to the local drunk propping up the bar.
    I don't understand why people get upset by these views.

however a pet-hate I have is when commericals (and government flyers) clearly try too hard to be inclusive.
    It's only a f-ing picture stop contriving some scenario where absolutely everybody on the mutliculutral rainbow is represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

If it was trolls whom made these comments, then they're joking to get a rise out of gullible fools.

Congratulations on taking the bait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Ham Wallet

Not a fan of them personally

If it was trolls whom made these comments, then they're joking to get a rise out of gullible fools.

Congratulations on taking the bait.

Apt username / post combo at least :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Stark wrote: »

O Chris, I remember when you used to be funny:rolleyes:

A nice subtle little"white people are inherently racists,especially those who don't vote for Obama"
    In his first presidential vote,president Obama got 45% of the white vote,and a little less in the following election, whereas he got 96% of the balck vote in his first and 92% in his second election.

So perhaps it would have been more apt to perhaps say"black folks,Romney is just like us.......see"

As for the add itself, I remember olympic swimmer Sharron Davies starring in an add with her mixed-race kid over 20 years ago on British TV.

The sky hasn't caved in yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pinkandick

I find them distasteful now myself, i've even read their "mantra" thingy it's laughable and all over the place. Like Africa for the African's Asia for the Asians White countries are for everybody.
    But hold on aren't their Whites in south africa & i'm sure Whites are in all parts of Africa & Asia so why don't they shut up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pinkandick

So here's the full "Mantra" < i thought that meant something to do with religion like the buddha they don't seem like enlightend people :)

First i post this so we can think how to battle it, I'm sure their are people here like me but who are ten times smarter & therefore more capable of battling this tripe.
    Cheers Pinkandick.

The Mantra

ASIA FOR THE ASIANS, AFRICA FOR THE AFRICANS, WHITE COUNTRIES FOR EVERYBODY!

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I, for one, am glad that there are people who use the term "bi-racial" as well as "mixed race". My cousin described her daughter as "bi-racial" and it's not ridiculed in her part of the world but this side of the world, I've already heard negative responses to it...

Love cheerios, btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I've written on this in another thread about how here in the US, there has been a history involving White women and Black men (and some posters were dur dur dur that's history!). It is the most taboo of relationships. Black men were lynched because White men thought they were insulting their women by expressing interest (sometime, that interest wasn't there). I've seen a couple of commercials with White men and Black women, but featuring a Black man with a White woman crossed some imaginary line of impropriety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

White, black and mixed-race you say?

They are cheerios personified ffs! :pac:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVVYZyoWwivIFY3dZubX8t0BmHKKUHA-Fg6hRxC8KFwbE2pn2v0g

Are you confusing cheerios with oreos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Not a racist but I hate those sugar coated bastids.

the cheerios, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I'm pretty sure most people are aware that mixed race people exist, unless they're living in a really remote area cut off from civilisation. Who someone chooses as their partner is no business of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I don't think I'd even notice the child was mixed raced with a white mam and a black dad unless it was pointed out. Or ponder it should i say. Some people would give out about anything.

I think it's just a lovely ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

America is racially obsessed. Its pathological. Forms left right and center asking for you and your children's racial composition.

I refuse to answer these forms. I tell whatever administrator or bureaucrat Im not answering it because I cant see how it's relevant and im not indulging the national pathology.

They are quite upfront and tell me its about funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Nasty comments on the internetz you say ??
    Insults directed at Muricas negro population ??

I shall have to inform the chaps at encyclopedia drammatica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Pinkandick wrote: »
    So here's the full "Mantra" < i thought that meant something to do with religion like the buddha they don't seem like enlightend people :)

First i post this so we can think how to battle it, I'm sure their are people here like me but who are ten times smarter & therefore more capable of battling this tripe.
    Cheers Pinkandick.

The Mantra

ASIA FOR THE ASIANS, AFRICA FOR THE AFRICANS, WHITE COUNTRIES FOR EVERYBODY!

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

So where are mixed race people suppose to go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've written on this in another thread about how here in the US, there has been a history involving White women and Black men (and some posters were dur dur dur that's history!). It is the most taboo of relationships. Black men were lynched because White men thought they were insulting their women by expressing interest (sometime, that interest wasn't there). I've seen a couple of commercials with White men and Black women, but featuring a Black man with a White woman crossed some imaginary line of impropriety.

But the internet is full of whites gittin' it on with the blacks.. :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

US Television tends to avoid showing interracial couples. If there's 10 characters in a film or programme, and 1 black man and 1 black woman in the group, they'll more than likely end up together. It's very cowardly writing. It's good of Cheerios to go against the norm.

On the UK telly it almost conspicuously the other way. Not that I disapprove (if only cos it must piss off the EDL/BNP) but there are an unlikely number of mixed race couples/families depicted in drama series/soaps across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Jeez, in Ireland there'd be uproar if a cork girl was going out with a dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...there's a point a you wanted to make with that isn't there? Come along now...be brave and explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Jeez, in Ireland there'd be uproar if a cork girl was going out with a dub.

People take to the bed over such news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

mike65 wrote: »
    On the UK telly it almost conspicuously the other way. Not that I disapprove (if only cos it must piss off the EDL/BNP)

I don't understand. Why must it piss off the EDL?

mike65 wrote: »
    But the internet is full of whites gittin' it on with the blacks.. :confused: :pac:

Yes, but that's people usually going out and searching for that content. I post on a forum for Black women but there are many non-Black females who post on the site, and there have been multiple threads discussing interracial relationships. It happens. We all know that it does, but there is something different about a television commercial. On the internet, you guide your content, but on television, you turn on a program and then you have to sit through commercials. Commercials are rather imposing, and I imagine these closet racists feel that this commercial was an unwelcome imposition into their living room. It's like being forced to consume something that you chose to ignore previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I don't understand. Why must it piss off the EDL?

Anyone who thinks the English Defence League is not actually the White English Defence League is a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nodin wrote: »
    ...there's a point a you wanted to make with that isn't there? Come along now...be brave and explain it.

I'll take a punt at this....maybe wrong but wtf.

'You are being brainwashed by da evil Jewz................................'

Or some nonsense like that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

JD DABA wrote: »
    Nasty comments on the internetz you say ??
    Insults directed at Muricas negro population ??

I shall have to inform the chaps at encyclopedia drammatica

Yes, do tell us how you get on, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I'm not surprised to see those comments on youtube, it's an easy platform for amateur trolls to practice on. I like the ad, it made me laugh when he woke up covered in cheerios.

Thankfully we are fairly indifferent to mixed relationships here in Ireland. :D

I'm white and my boyfriend is black and we (thankfully) haven't experienced any negative comments or attitudes so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Isolt wrote: »
    I'm not surprised to see those comments on youtube, it's an easy platform for amateur trolls to practice on. I like the ad, it made me laugh when he woke up covered in cheerios.

Thankfully we are fairly indifferent to mixed relationships here in Ireland. :D

I'm white and my boyfriend is black and we (thankfully) haven't experienced any negative comments or attitudes so far anyway.

Ah heyor. Not even a

"good for you father. Good for you. Coming over here and taking our jobs and our wimmin' and acting like they feckin' own the place. Good for you"

actually that was the greeks. Inventing gayness and all.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Probably because you don't know any. and your frame of reference outside of your own circle would be limited to people you see "on da telly" so that's gonna be biased towards the lookers.

Sure everyone is "mixed" anyway! To some extent. Did ya learn nothing from The Commitments ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What is it about YouTube comments in particular that seems to bring out some of the most vile hate on the web.

You see really nasty stuff under some of the most non-controvertial videos you could possibly think of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Eddie Van Halen ?
    How is he mixed race?Anyway mixed race people are just as likely to be ugly as any other ethnic group.Just look at Tiger Woods and Rio Ferdinand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

darkdubh wrote: »
    How is he mixed race?
    His mum was half Indonesian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ham Wallet wrote: »
    Not a fan of them personally

Cheerios or mixed race couples? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

With regard to the OP, the vast majority of those comments are very obviously trolls deliberately trying to inflame gullible eejits like your good self. Rule number 14 of the Rules of the Internet: "Do not argue with trolls. It means they win."

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/030/662/rules.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So where are mixed race people suppose to go?

Madagascar I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement