Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne to Sydney Roadtrip

Options
  • 02-06-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Any advice on whether its worthwhile doing a roadtrip from Melbourne to Sydney? Would be travelling in Juky with 2 kids under 5. Or just forget it and fly there and back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Having done it twice via the hume highway I personally would not do it again. There is one or two interesting places to stop off at but in my opinion its not worth traveling 900 odd kms just for this purpose.

I have no idea about travelling via the coastal route, I am sure this would be nice but in July it will be chilly so maybe not! You could always break up the trip by stopping at a ski resort on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Coastal route - Depends on what you are looking for. I did it before in a campervan but in February.
    July would be a lot colder and wetter and the breeze off the sea will chill you.
    However there are some lovely places to see but in offseason they could be very quiet.
    Lakes Entrance, 7 mile beach outside Kiama and there are caves in a national park along the route. Kiama was a beatiful small town.
    I was going to post a link for google maps but doesn't seem to allow you to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

no point coming up the hume, especially with kids. 10 hours with pretty much the same landscape all the way. the submarine in holbrook is pretty much the height of it. if you do drive it, watch out for the cops around there. been through there maybe 6 or 7 times, and there is always a speedcheck or RBT.

the coast road would have a lot more to offer, not the best time of the year for it though.

i'd say fly and if the opportunity presents itself in better weather do the coast road.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

lg123 wrote: »
    the submarine in holbrook is pretty much the height of it. .

what is the deal with this inland submarine? i never stopped but was surprised to see a sub so far inland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

danotroy wrote: »
    what is the deal with this inland submarine? i never stopped but was surprised to see a sub so far inland!

The town was named after Commander Holbrook of the Royal Navy who was awarded a VC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Douglas_Holbrook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

danotroy wrote: »

i know, thats the most interesting about it. wtf is it doing there, is what everyone thinks!! it has put holbrook on the map.

how did they even get it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

lg123 wrote: »
    i know, thats the most interesting about it. wtf is it doing there, is what everyone thinks!! it has put holbrook on the map.

how did they even get it there!

Its only the outer shell

Advertisement