Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod just locking a thread because he feels like it

Options
  • 02-06-2013 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

User comes on to forum and asks for advice about where to go in Waterford. he gets a lot of it. Chooses to ignore the advice and, in fact, do the total opposite. He comes on to complain about the pubs he did go to, and unsurprisingly, he gets called out on it.

Mod comes in and locks the thread, just because he doesn't like what was said to the OP. No charter rules were broken, nobody was abused, mod just came in with his bold font because he/she felt like it.

Seriously, bad mods have been ruining boards.ie for years but this just takes the biscuit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056958906
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The thread was going nowhere & had run its course.

People were ganging up & attacking the poster & not the posts.

On that basis I closed it in preference to it escalating & cards/bans having to be issued.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Absolute nonsense, you were wielding power unnecessarily and you know it. You didn't personally like what was said so you took it upon yourself to lock the thread. No charter was ignored, no rules broken.

You should let the local mods do their job instead of piping in where you certainly were not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have already given my reasons on thread & provided further clarification for you here. So, either your assumptions about my reasons for closing the thread are incorrect or your mind-reading powers are wonky.

Attacking the post & not the poster are site-wide rules. If they are not specifically referenced in the charter - they still apply to the forum & will be enforced if required.

I took action as it is a holiday weekend at home & the local mods hopefully are enjoying it with their friends & family & not checking for muppetry on the forums every 5 minutes. I, on the other, do not have a holiday where I am & am keeping an eye on the shop, so to speak.

tHB

I have already given my reasons on thread & provided further clarification for you here. So, either your assumptions about my reasons for closing the thread are incorrect or your mind-reading powers are wonky.

Attacking the post & not the poster are site-wide rules. If they are not specifically referenced in the charter - they still apply to the forum & will be enforced if required.

I took action as it is a holiday weekend at home & the local mods hopefully are enjoying it with their friends & family & not checking for muppetry on the forums every 5 minutes. I, on the other, do not have a holiday where I am & am keeping an eye on the shop, so to speak.

tHB

Muppetry?

Shows up your whole attitude tbh.

Some one came into the Waterford forum and asked for advice about places to go. He got it in absolute abundance. He chose to ignore it and then came on with a post slagging off the town, and one which would put anyone off visiting. You show me a post where he was attacked please? I still see no justification for locking the thread - you locked it because you didn't like what was said to the OP. That's not one of the parameters of your job if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Muppetry?

Some one came into the Waterford forum and asked for advice about places to go. He got it in absolute abundance. He chose to ignore it and then came on with a post slagging off the town, and one which would put anyone off visiting. You show me a post where he was attacked please? I still see no justification for locking the thread - you locked it because you didn't like what was said to the OP. That's not one of the parameters of your job if I'm not mistaken.

Actually it is one of the things mods are to look out for; if a thread is getting to the point the poster is being attacked then they close it or have to hand out cards/bannings. He took the easier route and more polite one.

Oh and muppet is just a catch all term for anything that's basically rude/against the rules/etc. The fella gets a list of places to go to and avoid; he goes against the advice and then posts complaining about it. Obviously (even unintentionally) it's going to stir the pot a little. So a mod stopped it before it got out of hand.

Think of a bouncer going over to two lads in a shouting match and defusing it before they fight.

• Advertisement

There was no abuse anywhere.

If every thread was stopped before people started to have differences of opinion there'd be no threads left. The op could go out tonight and have a great night but where will he post about it? Just a very silly thread lockage IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The op could go out tonight and have a great night but where will he post about it?

Facebook?

The thread did what it was set up to do. The OP got recommendations. There's no need for it to remain open just so people can give out to him for not taking their advice.
    Just my opinion on it.

Facebook? Jesus...

So it seems that people agree that even though no rules or charters have been broken, a thread can be locked by a mod for seemingly no good reason.

Has there ever been a feedback thread that wasn't a mod love-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Attitude? You might want to check your own first.
    So it seems that people agree that even though no rules or charters have been broken, a thread can be locked by a mod for seemingly no good reason.

Charter: it's part of the sites Guidelines:
    Be Civil (Don't be a dick)

The internet is full of anonymous keyboard warriors being rude to each other. We don’t want that here. We're not saying you have to be super-nice to everyone and sign each post with a little heart, but we DO require that you are at least CIVIL to the humans on the other end of this intertube. Everyone is tired of the muppets online and if you feel you must be a dick to others, you aren’t welcome here.

People were acting in such a way that violated that, Mod steps in. Part of being a Moderator is protecting users from others behaviour. People breaching the guideline above is reason enough.

If the OP feels an overwhelming urge to tell us all about his experiences, he can PM the forum mods and request them to re-open it.

This isn't feedback. There's nothing constructive in this: it's just you having a snit. You could have PM'd the Mod in question (civilly, not sneeringly like the tone you've adopted here) and discussed it with them. As such, I'm closing this off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement