Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secure Valve Caps

• 02-06-2013 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi, wondering does anyone know anywhere over the north side I could get caps for my tyre valves that kids can't get off.
    The little fecks around the area keep letting air out of tyres on our road.
    Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

DSC0077-sm.jpg

Put this guy beside your car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

DSC0077-sm.jpg

Put this guy beside your car!

Yeah, he looks like a real dynamo of a guard dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Wrap a small bit of electrical tape around the thread of the valve then put the dust cap on over it. Will make it very difficult to remove once tightened.
    Failing that, a tiny bit of glue on the thread.
    Will make it impossible to remove by hand, you will have to leave a pliers in the car though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hammertime wrote: »
    Yeah, he looks like a real dynamo of a guard dog
    It's normal for animals to get somewhat sleepy after a devouring a fresh kill ;)

OP, Halfords have some of these in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

You could get some from eBay for a few euro. Or if you had posted this about 3 days ago, you could have had some free from me! I had a set, which were used for a week and then put in a box and never touched again.....until I through them into the bin during the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Be careful of some of the metal dust caps as they can seize to the metal on valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Got those ones In Halfords, not very good. Can get them off with a bit of strength .
    Hopefully it's only kids trying to get them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

get a tube of treadlock.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Lock-Acting-Thread-Sealant/dp/B003ZUXQIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370276486&sr=8-1&keywords=tread+lock

strong enough to stop it being opened by hand but with a small pliers no bother to open.

Those Halfords ones gone off car already . Well 3 of them. Little ****s.
    Think ill have to try the thread glue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Those Halfords ones gone off car already . Well 3 of them. Little ****s.
    Think ill have to try the thread glue

Just out of interest which kind did you buy from halfords? the ones with the free spinning sides seem like a fairly secure design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Smear some of the "output" from a dog on the caps. They will cop on soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

visual wrote: »
    Be careful of some of the metal dust caps as they can seize to the metal on valve.

Yep! The baddies can twist off the "look at me" external covers but the threaded internal caps separate and remain welded to the valves. To check your tyre pressures, remove (destroy) the internal pieces with a pliers, install the required amount of wind into your tyres, consider buying yet another set of fancy valve caps, reject that idea and consider why the $cumb@g$ feel the need to harvest your valve caps in the first place, i.e. insufficient cuddles from their daddies when they were ikkle.

Now, while I would never advocate any form of positive action to correct this tragic cuddle deficiency, a swift head lock and several loving slaps to the cheeks and ears worked for me I mean my buddy whose name I can't remember....as he wasn't a close buddy like....just met him in a pub somewhere....ages ago.

Used a small bit of thread lock on the valve caps and has worked a dream.
    Just a question for future reference , when I take them off to put air in can anyone recommend anything to clean the old blue thread lock off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

when I take them off to put air in can anyone recommend anything to clean the old blue thread lock off?

Wire wool or a brillo pad should work without damaging the threads

I used to have those locking caps before and they were a disaster.

The cap was an alloy but the grub screw was steel which rusted in a matter of weeks and seized inside the cap making it impossible to loosen with the tiny allen key

Luckily the cap was hex shaped so I was able to get it off with the little adjustable wrench I keep with me,
    but I ended up damaging the valve with the tyre unable to keep its pressure

My solution to kids robbing them was to put a bit of black grease on the caps, I haven't had the problem since

Advertisement