Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place to purchase fibreglass skimboards?

Options
  • 02-06-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, hoping you can point me in the right direction. Myself and the daughter (13yr old) would like to try our hand at this.

After doing a bit of reading up on this, the consensus is that fibreglass is the way to go. As we will be only beginners, we dont want to spend too much.

Any of ye recommend any place to purchase? A lot of sites I was looking at are very expensive on the shipping.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hey lads, hoping you can point me in the right direction. Myself and the daughter (13yr old) would like to try our hand at this.

After doing a bit of reading up on this, the consensus is that fibreglass is the way to go. As we will be only beginners, we dont want to spend too much.

Any of ye recommend any place to purchase? A lot of sites I was looking at are very expensive on the shipping.

Sunset in Sligo do them, and they offer free shipping on the fibreglass ones. http://www.sunset.ie/search/skimboard

I have not seen anywhere else in Ireland selling fibreglass ones. Skimboards are great fun, just be careful you do not injure yourself on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Hi Maryishere, thanks for the info. I ended up getting them on Surfdome online, shipping was 7 euro for 2 so it wasn't too bad.

We cant wait to try them out, knowing me, my first try will fall off and break an arm :P

Hi djsim, warm up and stretching exercises can help prevent injury. Also be careful nobody is in front of you while you are learning anyway as the board can shoot out from under you - especially with fibreglass boards, they are harder and more dangerous to hit peoples ankles than foam covered skimboards. How long did the boards take to arrive from Surfdome - on their website they say it takes 3 to 5 days, as we are overseas to them. Enjoy them anyway. I found Sunset as cheap as any and quick at delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

thanks for the heads up. Don't worry, we will be picking a quite side of the beach starting out, there wont be anyone in our way.

In the end, we both went for 2 that were a fibre \ wood mixture as we only starting out, boards were 50 each.picking them up today from dpd, 2 day shipping so cant complain about that.

Do you skimboard? Looks quite difficult to master?

djsim101 wrote: »
    In the end, we both went for 2 that were a fibre \ wood mixture as we only starting out, boards were 50 each.picking them up today from dpd, 2 day shipping so cant complain about that.

Do you skimboard? Looks quite difficult to master?
    Yeah, I skimboard a bit. I got a wood skimboard last year for 25 euro, great value. I used to snowboard a bit in the winter so the concept of skimboarding appealed to me. I would not be great at it, but its fun and also easy to throw in the car boot when travelling anywhere. Enjoy.
    n.b. I wax the top of my board with surf wax, helps the grip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement