Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I teach myself Classical Studies?

• 02-06-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭

I want to take on an extra subject for the leaving cert because I'm guaranteed to fail Chemistry. So that means I'll be doing 8. But my school does not provide this subject. I'd have one year to learn the whole course of it, I just finished fifth year. Would this be difficult? I really enjoy history related subjects and writing. But from what I've heard, it would be impossible to cover this subject in a year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

A7XGirl wrote: »
    I want to take on an extra subject for the leaving cert because I'm guaranteed to fail Chemistry. So that means I'll be doing 8. But my school does not provide this subject. I'd have one year to learn the whole course of it, I just finished fifth year. Would this be difficult? I really enjoy history related subjects and writing. But from what I've heard, it would be impossible to cover this subject in a year

what about Ag. Science or Applied Maths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah if you've got a good head for numbers, Applied Maths could be done in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

I'm awful at maths and Ag.Science is only for those who don't do irish :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Hmm. I have no knowledge of this subject myself but the general consensus, from what I've heard at least. seems to be that economics is one you could do in a year. You'd have to ask somebody who does it to be sure though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I think you could do Business in a year no problem,if you're not doing it already :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If there's an Ag. Science teacher already in your school and you could maybe get them to supervise your project. I'd choose that over trying to teach yourself a subject outside school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Classical Studies is quite a hard subject, there are no books for the subject even. You'll be buying a lot of prescribed material and making your own essays out of them. From what I have heard, the exam has a lot of choice in it.

I would suggest you stay away from it though, it takes up a lot of your time. More time than studying for Chemistry.

Extra subjects that you can still take up and finish in time as far as I can see are Applied Maths, Economics, Business or Physics and maybe a few others. They're all fairly short and they're all fairly mathsy if you wanna call it that.

Also what spurious said ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I did business myself in a year. It's very manageable and seeing that you like learning history , you could learn off business concepts no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SoloSeal

Hey A7, it's defo possible!

You'd need to buy the books, there are about 6 you'd need.

The best topics IMO are Alexander, The Epics, Oedipus Rex and The Republic.

The classics paper hasn't really changed since the 1930's, there's a hell of a lot of writing and you have to learn more quotes than any other subject, but for certain people with the right mind, Classics is a breeze :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Home Economics- Social & Scientific is an easy honour (esp if you're doing biology.)
    Not sure if you have to do classwork in it now though- projects etc. I did it 20 yrs ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

zef wrote: »
    Home Economics- Social & Scientific is an easy honour (esp if you're doing biology.)
    Not sure if you have to do classwork in it now though- projects etc. I did it 20 yrs ago.

Yes you do and it has to be in by October (I think). It's also a huge course and an inexplicably short exam time, compared to other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tazok

Is it crazy to pick up classical studies now? I'm good at History and English and I also do Art which includes art History. Is it possible to pick it up now if study hard and I dedicate the two weeks of the Easter Break to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

What grade do you hope to achieve? I presume you intend to sit it this June. In truth, taking up any subject ten weeks from the LC is crazy.

Tazok wrote: »
    Is it crazy to pick up classical studies now? I'm good at History and English and I also do Art which includes art History. Is it possible to pick it up now if study hard and I dedicate the two weeks of the Easter Break to it?

Have the exam entries been sent in by your school?
    If they have then you'd need to tell your Exam Secretary quickly if you want to do any exam you're not entered for. I don't think History and Art History would cover Classical Studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Waaaay too late, realistically there's no way you could cover a course that should be covered over two years in a ten week period. Your other subjects would suffer and it's unnecessary stress. It's hard enough to cover a subject in a year, not to mind 2.5 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 arsenalfh

spurious wrote: »
    Have the exam entries been sent in by your school?
    If they have then you'd need to tell your Exam Secretary quickly if you want to do any exam you're not entered for. I don't think History and Art History would cover Classical Studies.

Could you not just pick up a spare paper on the day? Surely they bring one or two extras.

arsenalfh wrote: »
    Could you not just pick up a spare paper on the day? Surely they bring one or two extras.

If the school don't do Classsical Studies there will be none in their box.

Advertisement