Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you honestly think you'll see them again?

• 02-06-2013 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

I have one incident in my life which leads me to believe that we as humans don't understand the full workings of the Universe and perhaps there is more than just this life. Its an incident that is giving me the strength to be able to talk with my mum as if she is right here with me.

However ignoring that incident I don't know. I'm trying to find comfort in the 'circle of life' i.e that she lives within us as memories and now is part of the universe in 'energy.' I don't know if it is that comforting tbh. It is probably though all we can comprehend as simple humans, so I try to find solitude in that, while also speaking to her as if she is here still with us. The reality is I have many many years to live without her and I will never speak, hold, laugh etc. with her in the world that I live in now.

Just seen a great quote though ''You never know the strength you have, until the only alternative is to be strong'' I really feel this way but atm its raw, its the little things that I'll miss more than anything, already a lot of memories are being blocked, maybe I don't want to remember how good I had it. She was my best friend and I could tell her everything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

arrgh.......I've typed and deleted answers more than once.

My husband died when he was 34. I'm nearly 4 years on now and to be honest......I think he's dead-completely dead.

I've had horrible arguments with him since he died. I'm sorry, I can't give you the answer you want me to give.

I really want to be wrong though. :(

I don't think this is what you wanted to hear......sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I perosnally dont, which makes me sad for all the loved ones that have passed.

I believe once we have passed that is it. It makes me feel sad. I hope I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nope, from my point of view when your gone your gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

'Boards.ie, the last place to go if you want to put any of your mind at ease'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

To be honest every time I go on the internet I get more disappointed every day. Everywhere now you see atheists and people refusing to believe in god from the proof that currently exists in all different religions. Most of these beliefs seem to be based on science and a lack of "evidence" and these views spreads worse than the common cold. I'm a 21/22 year old after finishing an engineering degree with a very emotionless view of death as regarded by other people with a very scientific view to the world.

But even I feel other people are being absolute narrow minded sheep. If you study physics you will see there is so much we do not know all these "constants" or "variables". There is so much evidence of a "god" / other things we cannot control not to mention hundreds of thousands of years of human existence with speak of "the gods".

I don't think this is something that will ever be understood in our lifetime but dismissing it is pure ignorance and a lack of belief in a "god" is what all the sheep appear to believe. I could go on and explain how this develops into Bereavement but I don't want to waste myself on posts that will be dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

None of us know for sure. We're all just guessing really. I'm an atheist and a scientist so I'm leaning towards the death being final side of things, but at the same time I agree with your feelings that we just don't understand the half of what's around us, so I guess I'm undecided and hopeful. Sometimes I think I feel them with me or listening to me but am I just trying to find comfort where there is none?

I don't know how recent or sudden this loss was for you OP, but I know you're young and I remember you mentioning your mother before in your posts so I just wanted to post to say how sorry I am for your loss and to wish you the strength to come to terms with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mysticmak

I admire people with faith, it gives them an inner strength that can see then through some pretty difficult times and gives them a reassurance that the agnostics and atheists will find hard to achieve or comprehend, I am not a religeous person at all, I do not attend any place of worship on a regular basis, I think my life may have been different had I done so, but that is not the point here, for EdenHazard, in terms of life after death, in science, energy merely changes form, the spark that drives us, the soul if you will, perhaps just changes from one state to another with echos back to this previous state.....just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Hi OP, I think its completely up to you what you want to believe. there are no set rules, and if this is what helps you then there is nothing wrong with it. Lost my aunt recently who was like a mother to me for years and I talk to her the whole time, I chat to her in my mind and I dont care if any one would find this strange but it works for me. I cant imagine the pain and hurt when you lose a mother xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I don't believe in an afterlife.

But my (deceased) Dad will always be with me, because Ill always love him.

The love doesn't disappear even though the person is gone. Memories and love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I'm absolutely certain of it, to the extent that I feel(genuinely) sorry for those poor souls that don't believe. It's entirely alien to me to think that life ends with death. And yes, I'm fully aware of how strange that sounds. My mind simply won't stretch far enough to even fully conceive of there being nothing else. I'm as sure of it as I am that black is black and white is white. It's all horses for courses though in the end isn't it. I'm quite certain that atheists need to be atheists to fulfill whatever it is they came here to do, or at least, it's clearly not necessary for them to believe in anything else for them to achieve it, whatever 'it' is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Yes I believe we will see our loved ones again and I firmly believe that before we die we can and do actually see people that have gone before us.

My sister passed away last year - and even though she was special needs was well able to communicate in her own indomitable way. My sister adored our mother (also deceased) and was our mother's pet and before she passed I just know she could see our mother.

My sister in law is a medium and I know that its not everyone's cup of tea but she has done readings for me and given me information that I had long forgotten and would never had mentioned to anyone.

When my mother died 10 years ago I said that she would send me a little girl as my husband and I were undergoing IVF at the time she died and a few more attempts after and 2 years later I became pregnant after our fourth IVF and yes we had a little girl. So I think that our loved ones in the afterlife do look out for us and I have often asked my mam to do little favours for me here and there and she has.

So really its a matter of what you believe and if you believe you will see loved ones in the after life well and good and if not then that's ok too. Me - I do believe and I hope some day to be reunited with my parents and my siblings who have passed on, and I've loads of questions to ask too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I believe we will meet our loved ones again, I think I'd go mad if I thought I wouldn't see my Dad again. Tbh it's what keeps me going, and has taken away my fear of my own death. I believe he is somewhere waiting for me when my time comes. I could not get my head around the fact that someone who was so alive, and so much a part of my life, would be completely gone....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

gufnork wrote: »
    I'm absolutely certain of it, to the extent that I feel(genuinely) sorry for those poor souls that don't believe. It's entirely alien to me to think that life ends with death. And yes, I'm fully aware of how strange that sounds. My mind simply won't stretch far enough to even fully conceive of there being nothing else. I'm as sure of it as I am that black is black and white is white. It's all horses for courses though in the end isn't it. I'm quite certain that atheists need to be atheists to fulfill whatever it is they came here to do, or at least, it's clearly not necessary for them to believe in anything else for them to achieve it, whatever 'it' is.

I find this post really patronising towards people who don't believe in the afterlife. For me it's entirely alien to me to think that life continues after death but I don't feel sorry for people who do as that is patronising. Nobody knows what happens no matter how much they like to think they do.

I don't think I will see them again but I wish I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

What version of themselves will meet you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

What version of themselves will meet you?

I suppose it depends on what you believe in, I know a lot of people are very sceptical when it comes to mediums. My sister went to a well known medium with an excellent reputation recently. She was told she would not recognise my Dad now, that he has gone back to being in his 30's in spirit. Apparently you go back to the age you were when you were very happy in life. I assume this is what you meant by what version of themselves? :)

73Cat wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what you believe in, I know a lot of people are very sceptical when it comes to mediums. My sister went to a well known medium with an excellent reputation recently. She was told she would not recognise my Dad now, that he has gone back to being in his 30's in spirit. Apparently you go back to the age you were when you were very happy in life. I assume this is what you meant by what version of themselves? :)

That's exactly what i meant. So, how would that work - if you wont even recognise the person you so badly want to see again? Our parents live on in us - literally as we carry their genes and we will live on in our kids.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

That's exactly what i meant. So, how would that work - if you wont even recognise the person you so badly want to see again? ...

I suspect different rules apply in that world. I wouldn't apply the rules of 'this world here' to 'that world there'.

gufnork wrote: »
    I suspect different rules apply in that world. I wouldn't apply the rules of 'this world here' to 'that world there'.

What can you possibly even suspect about 'that world there' as you call it?

There is no way of testing anything you say or think about it. All we can know about is 'this world here'.

If there was no other world / afterlife - how would it matter ? There is no way to experience the non-afterlife.

Having come from the normal Irish religious family background - I am now completely at peace with the above. Liberation feels wonderful!

• Site Banned Posts: 10 morewrong

because

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I take my cue on this subject from Socrates ( the Greek, not the Brazilian btw ) :P

“To fear death, gentlemen, is no other than to think oneself wise when one is not, to think one knows what one does not know. No one knows whether death may not be the greatest of all blessings for a man, yet men fear it as if they knew that it is the greatest of evils.”

dd972 wrote: »
    I take my cue on this subject from Socrates ( the Greek, not the Brazilian btw ) :P

“To fear death, gentlemen, is no other than to think oneself wise when one is not, to think one knows what one does not know. No one knows whether death may not be the greatest of all blessings for a man, yet men fear it as if they knew that it is the greatest of evils.”

I like this - thanks. One of the saddest things about religion with its threats of judgement and hell - is that it has made us afraid of death - which is is a completely natural event.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mr Guinness.

I think that we are all dead and this is some sort of hell.we are born, go to school then work for 40 years and then die.heaven will be paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Im pretty sure that when you die you have an interview type session with your creator, where you ask the questions.

You can ask what ever you like and there is no time limit.

After this you enter a paradise like place where all your dead loved ones are having a BBQ and they are all happy.

Well i hope this is what happens anyway lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

axel rose wrote: »
    arrgh.......I've typed and deleted answers more than once.

My husband died when he was 34. I'm nearly 4 years on now and to be honest......I think he's dead-completely dead.

I've had horrible arguments with him since he died. I'm sorry, I can't give you the answer you want me to give.

I really want to be wrong though. :(

I don't think this is what you wanted to hear......sorry.

axel rose

I cried when I read your post. My husband's father died at a very young age too, 28 years ago....and still our emotions are very raw about it. I really wonder if time heals....my husband feels the same way you do axel rose - he thinks that his dad is completely dead. Only the memories make it bearable.
    Sometimes when good things happen we think his dad is looking out for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This is a tough one to answer, I do believe there is an afterlife of some description but not sure if it will mean being reunited with our parents who have passed on.

I would like to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

No and most people deep down know they wont even though they think they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Buzz84 wrote: »
    No and most people deep down know they wont even though they think they will.

Well I guess I'm not "most people" then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mad turnip wrote: »
    But even I feel other people are being absolute narrow minded sheep
    The name suits you well.
    Mysticmak wrote: »
    in terms of life after death, in science, energy merely changes form, the spark that drives us, the soul if you will, perhaps just changes from one state to another with echos back to this previous state.....just a thought.
    This is sort of what I believe in. A form of reincarnation, if you will.

=-=

I do feel a lot of sadness in this thread though. Instead of belittling each others belief, should you not come together and remember their good life, rather than death, as their life lives on through you. Death... death doesn't live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I fúcking hate these kind of threads, they make me think of dying which I hate because I don't even know what I believe in nowadays. I'm very sorry for your loss Eden Hazard and your post has made me want to travel back home to Ireland and just spend some quality time with my parents.

Stay strong :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement