Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you honestly think you'll see them again?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mad turnip wrote: »
    Everywhere now you see atheists and people refusing to believe in god from the proof that currently exists in all different religions.
    Its got little to do with refusal. More with an acceptance of reality. Religion offers no proof, only stories. If you accept those stories and they bring you comfort, more power to you. If you're faith is anything more than wishful thinking, then your issue is with yourself, and not with those who don't share it.

For my part OP, when you're gone, you're gone. You exist as a fond yet fading memory for a generation or two, and then you're let go. I'm good with that. I'm sure my great-great-great grandmother, for example, was a fine woman who was deeply missed by those who knew her. I'm equally sure that today I wouldn't know anybody who could even tell me her name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

angeleyes wrote: »
    When my mother died 10 years ago I said that she would send me a little girl as my husband and I were undergoing IVF at the time she died and a few more attempts after and 2 years later I became pregnant after our fourth IVF and yes we had a little girl.

With respect, IVF today is generally relatively successful, if you have the financial wherewithal and emotional strength to keep going back. Chances are you would conceive eventually, and perhaps the 'gift' was the result of effective medical practice and an experienced professional team who worked with you? The fact that you had a daughter was a matter of blind chance? A 50/50 bet you won with yourself?

Congratulations on your daughter and sorry for your losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

An afterlife seems like a nice idea. when i was younger i believed in it, and was very religious and i found it comforting, but i had so many questions about it, so much to understand. it just didn't add up for me which left me kinda empty & confused. Things like "the soul/spirit leaving the body", its something no doctor ever seen so how do we know its there? why are people so devastated at funerals if we will see them again? why are we here if there is a better life afterwards? if everyone goes there after they die (providing they are good) it must be a very big place? and what do they do all time? what makes us so special that we go to heaven? is there one for animals etc?

the idea of an afterlife provides:

1) comfort
    2) Control (ie. do good in this life you will be rewarded)
    3) Hope

My view on death is that its eternal but not in the human form or the religious point of view. When we die we dissolve into the ground, we nurrish the ground and help create life, growth of plants, etc and that is the cycle. Its the same for plants and animals. some people say its kinda depressing to think of it that way but for me its not, because i know that i have one chance of life and i must enjoy it and do the things i want to do.

When someone close to me passes away i know i have no choice but to accept it, and be glad for the memories that we shared them, and how the impacted our lives while with us.

I think you need to find some away to comfort yourself to accept death, if its an afterlife or not, whatever helps you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

That's exactly what i meant. So, how would that work - if you wont even recognise the person you so badly want to see again? Our parents live on in us - literally as we carry their genes and we will live on in our kids.......

I could have put that better! I shouldn't have said we wouldn't recognise him, but rather he's not how we'd remember him age wise before he died. Having lots of photos of my Dad in his 30s, when I was small, I'd recognise him no problem:)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

The majority of people don't believe in the afterlife. Some might not admit it; most religious people maintain a sort of 'faith' where they hope that they'll be proven wrong.

I don't deal well with death as I can't turn away from the overwhelming evidence to suggest that nothing follows. I'd love to be able to believe beyond all doubt and with absolute certainty that when I lose someone I care about it's just a matter of time before I get to see them again. I would have to be exceptionally naive however and probably a little bit mental...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

vard wrote: »
    The majority of people don't believe in the afterlife. Some might not admit it; most religious people maintain a sort of 'faith' where they hope that they'll be proven wrong.

I don't deal well with death as I can't turn away from the overwhelming evidence to suggest that nothing follows. I'd love to be able to believe beyond all doubt and with absolute certainty that when I lose someone I care about it's just a matter of time before I get to see them again. I would have to be exceptionally naive however and probably a little bit mental...

I don't think believing in an afterlife is something that would be described as mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

As this thread has turned into more of a discussion it is time to close it.

OP hope you got the answer you were looking for here.

Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement