Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mini turf hopper

Options
  • 02-06-2013 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

do anyone know if a person can get a small turf hopper, for own personal use. that you could pull with a MF 165 or something, and load with a mini digger?

or , has anyone invented a bucket for a mini digger, that can be used for cutting turf, like a smaller version of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J13ONysGW9I

i have some bog , but big hoppers wont go in without charging a fortune , as im the only one using the bog, so it doesnt pay them to get all the gear in.

just a thought?

Jo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

Bogs around here are cut with an excavator with a bucket attachment not a hopper, he takes a bite outa the side of the bog then squeezes it to shape the sods

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There are smaller hoppers that are tractor operated but id say they would need a reasonable size tractor. Guy here has one just for own use so they are not a mad expensive setup. He fills with a 6 tonne machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How would you get the depth with a mini digger? You'd never bring up black turf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Would you get a lad in with a slean bucket ?
    A new lad started up around here with a hopper last year and he will go anywhere for a few hoppers at no extra charge (so far )

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Jonblack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

quadboy wrote: »
    Bogs around here are cut with an excavator with a bucket attachment not a hopper, he takes a bite outa the side of the bog then squeezes it to shape the sods

where's "here" ?

ya, thats what im looking for. wonder would i be able to get one for a 3 ton mini digger?

only for my own personal use, so doesnt have to be anything special

moy83 wrote: »
    Would you get a lad in with a slean bucket ?
    A new lad started up around here with a hopper last year and he will go anywhere for a few hoppers at no extra charge (so far )

where wud i buy a slean bucket?

i take it thats just a bucked that u press into the turf, take it up , and then shake it out of the bucket?

jocotty wrote: »
    where wud i buy a slean bucket?

i take it thats just a bucked that u press into the turf, take it up , and then shake it out of the bucket?

Check donedeal for one , but as muckit said there wouldnt be a great reach on a mini digger so there would be a fair bit of tracking to and fro to get much turf spread

Check donedeal for one , but as muckit said there wouldnt be a great reach on a mini digger so there would be a fair bit of tracking to and fro to get much turf spread

ya, well years ago we used to cut it with a sleán by hand, so surely it would be easier and better than that !:o

tried donedeal, but didnt come up with anything

ya, well years ago we used to cut it with a sleán by hand, so surely it would be easier and better than that !:o

tried donedeal, but didnt come up with anything

A local welder would put one together easy enough if he had the idea of one in his head either .
    There is a reason it was done years ago by hand - they had nothing else . I would as soon eat the slean as use it now .

• Advertisement

A local welder would put one together easy enough if he had the idea of one in his head either .
    There is a reason it was done years ago by hand - they had nothing else . I would as soon eat the slean as use it now .

yap - - - my brothers and i wasted years in the bog with the sleán, not to talk of my father, and grandfather!

I cant link the ad but there are a few up there alright under "turf buckets" . There is a lad in donegal making them to any size , he would be worth talking to

where's "here" ?

ya, thats what im looking for. wonder would i be able to get one for a 3 ton mini digger?

only for my own personal use, so doesnt have to be anything special

West kerry

yap - - - my brothers and i wasted years in the bog with the sleán, not to talk of my father, and grandfather!

A lad that works for me cuts a trailer every year with the slean :eek: I should be getting a grant to let someone that mad into work at all :D

I cant link the ad but there are a few up there alright under "turf buckets" . There is a lad in donegal making them to any size , he would be worth talking to

Sound, thanks. That guy is the way to go I would think.

I'll call him tomorrow.

quadboy wrote: »
    West kerry

Are they using just turf buckets, that you push into the ground , or is it something like the one on the link I put in the post?

Ideally I'd like to get one like the one in the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Redmac

Got a lad to cut turf with a hopper like Jacksons this year. Charged €13 a hopper. After moving all the gear hard to see it paying for him. Think he was using a 12ton machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Redmac

Got a lad to cut turf with a hopper like Jacksons this year. Charged €13 a hopper. After moving all the gear hard to see it paying for him. Think he was using a 12ton machine and 90hp tractor.

Are they using just turf buckets, that you push into the ground , or is it something like the one on the link I put in the post?

Ideally I'd like to get one like the one in the link.

Yeah just a turf bucket nothing like the one in the link, he doesnt go straight into the ground though you know he makes a trench and every year then just take a few buckets from the face of it, he splits it into sections of a few metres and every year he'll take a section and leave the one beside it till next year, every second section like

Advertisement