Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My name not on household bill that I don't use? How much do I have to pay?

• 02-06-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi. My name is not on the Gas bill in the shared house I live in with 3 strangers and I don't have a tenancy contract. Only one person ever put the gas on and she had it on night and day. I complained to the landlord and person whose name the bill was in -about the excessive heat and notices up on the boiler telling me not to turn it off.

What is my liability for the huge gas bill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Does this hypothetical person benefit from the energy usage, or does the tenant have it on in her bedroom only?

In any case, there is scarce legal provision for this kind of situation; in the event of a refusal to pay one part of the bill, the onus is on the individual named on the bill to pursue another individiual (i) via the landlord or (ii) via the Courts.

The landlord is under no obligation to get involved in what is a private dispute and I cannot imagine he would have any grounds for evicting a tenant from the property should that tenant refuse to pay his share of a third party's bill. However if, for some reason, the Landlord takes on this burden or subsequently deducts part of the bill from the tenant's deposit, the tenant is of course free to take this up with the PRTB.

The PRTB does not cover disputes between tenants, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mogrady14

I developed a chest infection from the stiffling heat. The heating went on at 3am in the night and my room was over the boiler, I was roasted. I wasn't benefitting. I turned it off but the woman who had it on put notices up for me not to turn it off even at 3am at night. Then she was agressive to me. Why should I have to pay for something that made me ill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Sort it out with your landlord ot move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

mogrady14 wrote: »
    Why should I have to pay for something that made me ill?

Using that one next time I'm asked to clear my bar tab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement