Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strawberries in a tunnel.

• 02-06-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Up to now I have always planted strawberries in the open and so this is my first year of trying this out.
    So far so (very) good.But I am worried about what will happen when we get the inevitable prolonged sauna bath conditions that passses for our climate.

Even out in the open this can fairly decimate the fruit on the plants one way or another and I anticipate that in a fairly poorly ventilated heath robinson affair that is my "tunnel" that the risk of fruit rot will be even more extreme.

I have no intention of trying any chemical sprays and so my plan is to remove the cover when the fruits start to ripen .

Is this a good plan?

Most of the growth will have already gone into the roots and the leaves by then and I have never found that the fruits themselves were hugely improved by a baking heat (they are still delicious in quite cool conditions).

I don't think I have a real choice anyway but would it be very important to remove the plastic from the tunnel well before there are indications of fruit rot or could I take a chance and leave it on as long as possible?

Actually another problem I am anticipating is fruit drop which happened to me once and practically destroyed a fine vigourous crop of Strawberries in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I grow an early crop in my tunnel and have no problems at all . So long as you keep them off the wet soil they should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭amandstu

OK i'll give it a trial run but I will blame you if they fail!

Advertisement